Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 15, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #316 of 2,709

Thanks!! I think I'll just get the H7's then, since I can get them $200 cheaper too

You mean $200 cheaper than the 1000X? If so, not a hope in hell the Sony will come close in terms of performance to cost. Now sound signature preferences are a different story, but the H7 is quite well tuned, well made, lovely design, removable battery. Pretty nice headphone.

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #317 of 2,709
  You mean $200 cheaper than the 1000X? If so, not a hope in hell the Sony will come close in terms of performance to cost. Now sound signature preferences are a different story, but the H7 is quite well tuned, well made, lovely design, removable battery. Pretty nice headphone.

Yeah. I can get the H7's for $350 CAD or the 1000X for $565. I used to have the PSB M4U 2's (they broke) and loved the sound with the amp turned on, so I'm hoping the H7's will be like that or better. Sony's are just not worth it since I could just grab a pair of Bose QC 15's for $100 or 25's for $150 for when I really need ANC. Both for less than the Sonys :)

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #318 of 2,709

Btw, What do you think of the sound of the H7's using the cable? Is it a lot worse than over bluetooth?

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #319 of 2,709
So the mic is directly on the p7?

How is the comfort?

The QC35s and the Sonys are more comfortable - maybe because they're lighter and more plasticy.  I've worn the P7s multiple times for 8 hours - not 100% of the time, but mostly.  At first I had to make a lot of adjustments, and then small adjustments to find just the right fit and I did.  Of the 3, the P7s are the last ones I'd grab if I had to wear them without sound for 12 hours - they're beefy and feel "there" ... although that's what I like about them too: they feel like something serious.  The other two feel a bit toy like.  When I put on the P7s it's the i'm-going-in feeling where as with the other two it's more like putting on headphones to get a hearing test.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #320 of 2,709
Btw voices mode from what I'm read doesn't block out noise rather it lets voices in without disabling the rest of the ANC.

Food for thought, unless I'm wrong

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #321 of 2,709
Yeah. I can get the H7's for $350 CAD or the 1000X for $565. I used to have the PSB M4U 2's (they broke) and loved the sound with the amp turned on, so I'm hoping the H7's will be like that or better. Sony's are just not worth it since I could just grab a pair of Bose QC 15's for $100 or 25's for $150 for when I really need ANC. Both for less than the Sonys :)
25 has improvements over the 15 and that's what I would get.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #322 of 2,709
I bought the mdr-1000x from Dixons at Gatwick today.

My first impression was disappointment that they didn't block out more sounds in the busy airport lounge when I had no music playing. Gatwick is a hive of human speech, the ultimate challenge, or perhaps an unfair one. Either way the headphones failed the test and rendered Sony's specific "voices" ambient mode (music plus background voices) a bit useless.

On the other hand, on the plane, with music at half the maximum volume, I managed to drown out about 90% of the sounds. The continuous whooshing of the flight was still there, but it was considerably dulled. I knew when there were messages on the loudspeaker, but I couldn't tell what they were saying unless I did the right hand cuffing thing. Then again, when a passenger dropped their phone near me on the plane I heard it land even with the NC on.

The £269 price (combined with a weakened pound sterling this week), plus the strong, clear sound make them a good choice for me personally. I'll do some actual experiments tomorrow to see if they're better at noise cancelling than they seemed today. My expectations re ANC are probably unreasonably high.
Try out the QC35 instead of you want silence without regard to SQ.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #323 of 2,709
I have recently briefly tested the 1000x at John Lewis, PXC 550 and also the new KEF Porsche Design Space One (ANC, wired) at Headroom show (London, John Lewis had that too but staff didnt know how to turn on) and also the B&W P7 and these are my intial impressions. (I also have auditioned the QC35 several time, will grade but no comments as everyone seems to know it very well)

- Build quality/comfort
+ 1000x: plastic but does not feel cheap, better than I expected but nothing impressive, very mass market-oriented, very comfortable to wear on 8/10
+ PXC 550: disappointing unfortunately, plastic, too light and I feel like I can break it any time, though it can bring comfort due to its lightness but that quality is no acceptable to 300 quid Sennheiser 6/10
+ KEF Space One: simply brilliant by Porsche Design, contemporary beauty, solid, premium design and material with metal yet still comfortably sit on your head without making your neck hurt. 9.5/10.
+ P7: awkwardly eye catching just like any other B&W products, solid metal covered by leather, not very up to my taste but undeniably good. 9/10
+ QC 35: 8/10

- Noise cancelling/isolating:
+ MDR 1000x is at least on par with the QC35 with most of the noise at John Lewis (quite noisy at yesterday was Sat) was blocked including the voice of the staff just 1 feet away who was trying to talk to me. There was some tiny hiss actually. 9/10
+ PXC 550: a bit behind but still very effective with two levels of NC that can be controlled. It blocks enough to hear all the sounds from the track. 8/10
+ Space One: the environment was not noisy enough as KEF has a separate area but it seemed to work quite well, but the ANC on this limit a lot of its sound capability (runs on AAA btw, up to 50 Hours). 7/10.
+ P7: not so relevant but the pads did quite a good job enough to help me enjoy the high quality sound at noisy John Lewis. 7/10
+ QC 35: 9/10

- Sound quality:
+ 1000x very much like the 1ABT which I really rate (both wired) but warmer and thinner bass (losing this to QC35 definitely) which make some tracks much less convincing, sound stage is enough but nothing memorable 7.5/10
+ PXC 550: Sennheiser signature, reminded me of the 598, bright and forward, the mid is some times overwhelming to my ears but overall very enjoyable, suitable for those who enjoy vocal/mids, quite large soundstage for a wireless closed back. 8/10
+ Space One: at first with ANC on it was just OK, balanced, neutral but really lacks something. Turned it off and those were like another pair of headphones, every sound is just vivid, brilliant layering and nothing was hiddened or out of control, just right. Not fun, but will help me to listen for hours. 8.5/10 (minus 0.5 due to differences in ANC on and off)
+ P7: impressive, high quality sound right out of my iphone (its new flagship P9 sounds just fabulous directly from 3.5mm output of my iphone 6s, just unbelievable how B&W managed to do that), rich bass, clear mid/vocal and crisp/bright high but still a bit forward to my taste. 8.5/10
+ QC 35: 7/10 (the only good thing about this is the boomy bass and very loud)

Something about the Momentum Wireless, I cannot go with this one, the sound in wireless mode is just not audible to me, barely hear anything at max volume to enjoy the sound. ANC sucks and the price is unacceptable.

Conclusion: if the KEF Space One can go wireless, I am surely ready to spend 400 pounds for that but unfortunately that is not yet the case, the PXC 550 is a very good deal if you can grab the good deal at Dixons Travels (270) and ignore the look and build, with very solid sound quality. The P7 wireless will be a very hipster choice for those who adore something a bit classy and vintage. The total package and ultimate choice for those who want an all-in-one headphones for flight and commuting should really be the Sony 1000x, a total package, an all rounder.

These are just subjective and definitely not a thorough comparison/auditions due to limit in time of listening and many other factors may affect my ears and my taste. Thanks for reading hope you guys can take it as a grain of salt.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #324 of 2,709
Great brief comparison! Now I'm interested with how the KEF look like..

Testing at electronic store: getting stared at when trying to hear the music.. Then a glare after testing for a long time without buying.. Can't help it as they mostly are way above the street price.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #325 of 2,709
I would be all over the Space One, but only if it was Bluetooth. I can't believe that KEF would make such a fundamental error and not make it BT. Hell, skip the ANC and put in solid BT capability. I find that if the enclosure is well made and the pads seal well the passive isolation is pretty good and then I just turn up the music (I like louder playback volume). Seriously, no company from this point forward should ever produce a mobile headphone that isn't Bluetooth, it just doesn't make any sense.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #326 of 2,709
Something about the Momentum Wireless, I cannot go with this one, the sound in wireless mode is just not audible to me, barely hear anything at max volume to enjoy the sound. ANC sucks and the price is unacceptable.

Really?

I'm pretty much down to b&w p7, sony 1000x and momentum 2 wireless. I don't care about ANC tbh, decent passive isolation is good enough.

I care about 4 things: sound quality, comfortable around ears, has onboard mic for phone-calls, and has to be wireless. Last 2 things most BT headphones have, if not all. Any suggestions between these 3?

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #327 of 2,709
Really?

I'm pretty much down to b&w p7, sony 1000x and momentum 2 wireless. I don't care about ANC tbh, decent passive isolation is good enough.

I care about 4 things: sound quality, comfortable around ears, has onboard mic for phone-calls, and has to be wireless. Last 2 things most BT headphones have, if not all. Any suggestions between these 3?

I'd add the B&O Beoplay H7's to the list. I've read they're extremely comfortable and sound better than the Sony 1000x, momentum 2 wireless and B&W P7 wired, not sure about wireless. I have some coming in the mail next week but have never tried them myself. However, I have researched headphones with your exact same criteria and decided on the H7's!

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #329 of 2,709
I'd add the B&O Beoplay H7's to the list. I've read they're extremely comfortable and sound better than the Sony 1000x, momentum 2 wireless and B&W P7 wired, not sure about wireless. I have some coming in the mail next week but have never tried them myself. However, I have researched headphones with your exact same criteria and decided on the H7's!

I can confirm the H7 is amazing. Somebody a little further back I think asked me how it sounded wired. I used the H7 with my iDSD Micro and it was simply stunning in my books. It is a very well done contemporary signature, not neutral, tilted in the bass, but the bass is of very good quality I thought, well integrated into the signature which overall has a sophisticated, musical sense which given the history of Bang & Oulfsen really isn't surprising.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #330 of 2,709
I can confirm the H7 is amazing. Somebody a little further back I think asked me how it sounded wired. I used the H7 with my iDSD Micro and it was simply stunning in my books. It is a very well done contemporary signature, not neutral, tilted in the bass, but the bass is of very good quality I thought, well integrated into the signature which overall has a sophisticated, musical sense which given the history of Bang & Oulfsen really isn't surprising.
i have a wired headphone which is super awesome. I want a wireless and i read that sound of mdr1000x is close to p7. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back