Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #301 of 2,709
Has anyone tried the Sony's and the B&O Beoplay H7's or even H6 2nd gens? Would the H7's be significantly better sounding than the 1000x's? I care most about sound, but ANC is nice to have. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #302 of 2,709
  Excellent, excellent review !! Spot on ! Im in a pickle at the moment. I love my bass ! I have the v moda m100s and the sony 950bt (Bluetooth and kick ass bass) and also sony z5 Iems but I want to upgrade my sony 950bt and was considering NCs since I travel quite abit and I thought it would be a good step up to the 950s .. I get a Bluetooth with nc that works. But the underwhelming bass on the QC35s is honestly quite pathetic. I’m also considering the p7 wireless but I was thinking if I could get the 1000x wired and amped and give me good bass I could live with that! Is this something you cant relate to ?  could you play around with eq or if you have an amp to really push the bass on the 1000x ? could it reach p7 levels ?

The MDR-1ABT is a good choice, if you want a bluetooth headphone w/ good SQ and some legit bass.  That's what I use currently, but am awaiting the 1000X to see how it compares.  Bass is almost my #1 sound preference, so it's sounding like the 1ABT is here to stay.  :)  Obviously no NC...but it isolates pretty well if it's not the first priority for you.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #303 of 2,709
Not into beats. no offense but i dont rate their products. and i would be rather embarrassed to put them on my head ..  
You'll get all the bass you want with beats.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #304 of 2,709
The 100ABN would also work as well. It is not quite as bass heavy as the MDR-1A but I strongly suspect it will be more than the 1000X. It has ANC that is almost as good as the QC35.

As I was typing this I tried a song that is a good barometer of bass with my 100ABN and it is not as rumbly as my Z5 but much better than many headphones I have owned. Certainly in the acceptable range. In comparison another Sony BT I own MDR-770BT sounds anemic in comparison.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #305 of 2,709
  They leak substantially more sound than the Momentums.

That's a total dealbreaker for office or school headphones, which are common use cases for NC. The QC35s leak a little, but not nearly as much as my 1ABTs. I'm bummed to hear this is a problem because that, along with the non-existent bass (I'm waiting for post-break-in reports on that one) probably makes them a no-go.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #306 of 2,709
Hrm.. I think he meant to say that it leaks sound as bad as any closed headphone is (which minimal) only the Momentum is better in keeping it in.
The 1A series leak a bit due to the bass port in the first place (not in 1000X)

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #307 of 2,709
  Has anyone tried the Sony's and the B&O Beoplay H7's or even H6 2nd gens? Would the H7's be significantly better sounding than the 1000x's? I care most about sound, but ANC is nice to have. 

I would be shocked if the 1000X sounds better than the H7, which I owned and very much liked. Still, it is possible, but I would be shocked. The H7 have such a solid enclosure and great sealing pads (at least on my head) that it provided pretty solid passive isolation and I used them on public transit all the time.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #309 of 2,709
I bought the mdr-1000x from Dixons at Gatwick today.

My first impression was disappointment that they didn't block out more sounds in the busy airport lounge when I had no music playing. Gatwick is a hive of human speech, the ultimate challenge, or perhaps an unfair one. Either way the headphones failed the test and rendered Sony's specific "voices" ambient mode (music plus background voices) a bit useless.

On the other hand, on the plane, with music at half the maximum volume, I managed to drown out about 90% of the sounds. The continuous whooshing of the flight was still there, but it was considerably dulled. I knew when there were messages on the loudspeaker, but I couldn't tell what they were saying unless I did the right hand cuffing thing. Then again, when a passenger dropped their phone near me on the plane I heard it land even with the NC on.

The £269 price (combined with a weakened pound sterling this week), plus the strong, clear sound make them a good choice for me personally. I'll do some actual experiments tomorrow to see if they're better at noise cancelling than they seemed today. My expectations re ANC are probably unreasonably high.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #310 of 2,709

My expectations re ANC are probably unreasonably high.

I would definitely try the B&W P7 wireless or the Beoplays.  For all of the reasons you stated, for me, despite the fact the P7s have no ANC the HUGE increase in sound quality was much more immersive than whatever the ANC does.

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #311 of 2,709
I would definitely try the B&W P7 wireless or the Beoplays.  For all of the reasons you stated, for me, despite the fact the P7s have no ANC the HUGE increase in sound quality was much more immersive than whatever the ANC does.

How is the mic on the p7? I hear the mic can only be used in wire mode. Is that true?

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #313 of 2,709
Oct 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #314 of 2,709
  I found a frequency graph of the 1000X here:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/sony-mdr-1000x-p34767/ifa-2016-notre-presentation-casque-sony-mdr-1000x-n55605.html

Seems pretty good. Looking at it, it seems like the sound signature is U-shaped with sort of a treble peak at 8k. 

Can people who actually have the MDR-1000X please verify this?

I'm not sure how familiar you are with lesnumeriques but I find their compensation curve to be really wonky, for an example HD-800S http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/sennheiser-hd-800-s-p30323/test.html also got a 7,5k-8k peak which isn't there in other mesurements.

I would say they got more of a slight W shaped sound signature rather than U-shaped.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #315 of 2,709

My first impression was disappointment that they didn't block out more sounds in the busy airport lounge when I had no music playing. Gatwick is a hive of human speech, the ultimate challenge, or perhaps an unfair one. Either way the headphones failed the test and rendered Sony's specific "voices" ambient mode (music plus background voices) a bit useless.

On the other hand, on the plane, with music at half the maximum volume, I managed to drown out about 90% of the sounds. The continuous whooshing of the flight was still there, but it was considerably dulled. I knew when there were messages on the loudspeaker, but I couldn't tell what they were saying unless I did the right hand cuffing thing. Then again, when a passenger dropped their phone near me on the plane I heard it land even with the NC on.

The £269 price (combined with a weakened pound sterling this week), plus the strong, clear sound make them a good choice for me personally. I'll do some actual experiments tomorrow to see if they're better at noise cancelling than they seemed today. My expectations re ANC are probably unreasonably high.

Very high demands as u stated but what is your reference ? Do you or Did you have other NCs prior ? Do they fair better ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back