Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 12, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #271 of 2,709
Which one is the better buy, when looking at just SQ: mdr-1000x or sennheiser momentum 2?

The Sonys are 70-80usd more expensive than the sennheiser in my country.

Seeing how most people haven't been able to get their hands on the 1000X yet (my Amazon order ships 10/16), it's gonna be tough to get a full comparison yet.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #272 of 2,709
Which one is the better buy, when looking at just SQ: mdr-1000x or sennheiser momentum 2?

The Sonys are 70-80usd more expensive than the sennheiser in my country.

My MDR-1000x just arrived from Crutchfield and I'm going to compare them over the weekend to my Momentum 2s.  

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #274 of 2,709
We really need MDR-100x vs. QC35 impressions.

I need to find a Sony retailer in a busy area to see how they compare against each other.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #276 of 2,709

My MDR-1000x just arrived from Crutchfield and I'm going to compare them over the weekend to my Momentum 2s.  

Mine will be here from Crutchfield tomorrow - they shipped faster than Amazon and have 60 days returns.  I'll be able to compare to the QC35s, the P7s, and my new set of PSBs (warranty) also coming tomorrow.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #277 of 2,709

Mine will be here from Crutchfield tomorrow - they shipped faster than Amazon and have 60 days returns.  I'll be able to compare to the QC35s, the P7s, and my new set of PSBs (warranty) also coming tomorrow.

Looking forward to the comparison as I know you prioritize SQ over ANC.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #280 of 2,709
I found a frequency graph of the 1000X here:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/sony-mdr-1000x-p34767/ifa-2016-notre-presentation-casque-sony-mdr-1000x-n55605.html

Seems pretty good. Looking at it, it seems like the sound signature is U-shaped with sort of a treble peak at 8k. 

Can people who actually have the MDR-1000X please verify this?

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #282 of 2,709

Nice planned comparison.  I assume the PSBs are M4U-2?  I have them sitting in my closet ever since I got the Momentum, but I should compare them as well.

So far I'm not feeling the MDR-1000X.  Sound is a bit thin and the lower frequency bass is relatively non-existent and I'm no bass-head.  I'll give it a proper hearing this weekend.  They leak substantially more sound than the Momentums.

Also, anyone know how to kill the blinking blue power light?  Super annoying when listening in bed and I can imagine in a darkened airplane cabin.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #283 of 2,709
@Zappp it's not about the bad driver (I heard it has the same driver as 1A) but all ANC headphone has a limit in the sound chamber it has. You know, with stuffing all that battery, mics, NFC, DSP, amp, buttons etc, It gives less room and flexibility for manual tuning of how the headphone sound. That's why a lot of manufacturers decide to compromise it with digital processing to tailor the sound.

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #284 of 2,709
Hrmm.. I know this is HeadFi, so maybe I am talking in the wrong forum, but really the usual logic of "SQ matter most" doesn't apply when buying ANC headphones. You pay the higher price tag for the whole package:

(proper) ANC, bluetooth (with music playback control), features (ie ambient sound, hand gestures, NFC, etc),
Easy, small, portable foldup carry case
And its build & styling (subjective)

Don't compare it with full on wired closed headphone that doesn't have to worry about having all that extra functionality crammed into the cups...

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #285 of 2,709
Hrmm.. I know this is HeadFi, so maybe I am talking in the wrong forum, but really the usual logic of "SQ matter most" doesn't apply when buying ANC headphones. You pay the higher price tag for the whole package:

(proper) ANC, bluetooth (with music playback control), features (ie ambient sound, hand gestures, NFC, etc),
Easy, small, portable foldup carry case
And its build & styling (subjective)

Don't compare it with full on wired closed headphone that doesn't have to worry about having all that extra functionality crammed into the cups...

Wholeheartedly agree.  That's why I'm focused on the Momentum 2 wireless vs the 1000x.  On a level playing field, SQ matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back