Sony MDR-1000X
Sep 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #46 of 2,709
Not tested them in a windy environment but a couple of additional points from a few more minutes:

Positives

Noticeably less hiss when NC is on and no music is playing compared to the QC25 (again - not tried the 35)
Little, if any, difference in SQ between NC on and Off
The pads themselves isolate well on their own without NC on
The feature that allows you to disable NC/lower music when placing your hand on the right cup works regardless of whether the NC is on or not and it definitely amplifies sound into the headphones - it's a bit odd/unnatural but very effective at enabling you to hear
Much better SQ than the Bose 25 (IMHO) - I know the QC35 is rated much better than the 25 as well so not too surprising in this regard but good to confirm - vocals are much more present in the Sony and the balance from bass to midrange is good. I've not tried anything that might induce sibilance yet.

Downsides - can be easy to stop/play/skip the music inadvertently when taking them off your head as you tend to hold the ear cups to do this.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #47 of 2,709
Do compare the sound quality vs the bose qc35 if you own both to compare next to another! Or even any other bluetooth headphones you may own. How is the overall bass/mids/treble/soundstage?

What I'm very curious about is how sound compares to Sennheiser momentum 2 wireless around-ear. M2W lately costs the same as sony mdr-1000x. Momentum 2 wireless has the best overall sound out of all the wireless headphones.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #48 of 2,709
I'm afraid I've never heard the Momentum 2 Wireless but have read nothing but good things about their sound.

However, they didn't even get a look in whilst I was making my shortlist as the most important feature was Noise Cancelling then everything else (I know the M2 reportedly has decent NC but not quite in the QC35 range).

Regards BT headphones with good sound I've started to hear very good reports about the new B&W P7 Wireless - may give the Momentums a run for their money and might be a good option as well. Passive NC rather than Active but they look to be a lovely HP.

So, for back to back comparisons with other BT options you'll have to wait on someone else I'm afraid and I'm no 'Audiophile' so won't be talking about stuff like 3db tweaks at 100Hz and experiencing tricky transitions in the 5k range - neither will I be comparing things to Harman or Fletcher Munson Curves and the like :)

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #49 of 2,709
Hi 

i just bought those after spending 4 hours testing them in a physical shop. I was looking for traveling and town walking headphones.

I compared them to Bose QC35 and sennheiser momentum 2.0 and finally choosed the mdr-1000x for those reasons :

-All the songs i tested , ranging from trance goa,  reggae , rock , punk , grunge where reproduce correctly for this price range in a flat manner
-While testing the bose QC35 on nirvana - lithium live from live at the paramount and live and loud albums, the EQ was totalling mangling the vocals on the chorus with the distorted guitar. The mdr-1000x was able to produce a correct output with good "spatiality" between vocals and guitars. 
-On the track "l'homme a la tete de choux" from Gainsbourg, there is some kind of "infra bass" in the beginning, while being a little bit behind the QC35, the mdr-1000x where able to produce this sound  correctly. On the momentum 2.0 i had to search/know it to detect it.
-The NC is really good
-the possibility to choose between several NC modes and disable it quicly with the palm as weel as other features (aptx, sense ..) are really good bonuses 

I tested them a few more hours today and i m still happy as those are really what i was expecting for. The audio quality won't beat those from pro headphones like Sennheiser hd800 but is still really good.

Here are a few negative things that i noted here and there while listening today : 

- On a live album from Sphongle live at London, the overall sound seemed a little bit muted but not in a way that you focus on this defect and stop playing it
-On some treble the output seemed a little bit metallic as if the vertical resolution for that particular range was somehow lower, but still this may be only related to me trying to review the headphones instead of just relaxing/working and listening and this was also not a defect that would prevent me from changing the song in any way.
-The signature is just flat , there is a little lack of character maybe  but i guess this is searching issue where none are :) Maybe a cool feature, regarding all the electronic in those headphones could have been to add a button to switch to an extra bass mode

Good headphones :)

Best Regards

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #50 of 2,709
Wow OK.. These glowing first impressions is shaping up the MDR1000X to be the best wireless NC ever! Now just waiting for popular YouTube like MKBHD, Unbox Therapy and the like to review them for then to explode on those of younger generation. Though the price might still hinder most, at least if it become a an obvious direct upgrade path from QC25 it'd be the Golden Egg for Sony.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #51 of 2,709
Looking good thus far. One thing I like to point out is Bose really did quite well with the connection management with the Bose Connect App. Really easy to switch between multiple (4-5 in my case) devices.

All my Bose headphones (QC2 x2, QC15) were replaced when the faux leather started flaking. I wonder if the Sony is any better.

Waiting for long duration comfort feedback. While I'll hang on to my QC35

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #52 of 2,709
If I already owned the QC35 I don't think I'd even consider changing unless you could off load the Bose for close to purchase. The Sony have some extra features but if there is a big £/$ difference to change and comfort is paramount I doubt the upgrade (if there is one) would be worth it.

Regards the pleather ear pads - the Sony are very nice but I'd be surprised if, over time, they didn't go the same way as every pleather pad I've ever seen. Not sure if they are replaceable - I've not looked.

Regarding connectivity this is something I'm not sure about with the Sony. Easy to pair with devices but swapping between them is, so far for me, problematic and might be a pain point

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #53 of 2,709
For those that have the opportunity to compare, I'd be very interested in comments on the relative cup sizes of the QC35 vs. the MDR-1000x. I've biggish ears, and from pictures of each one, the Bose appear significantly more generous.

Thx, BarryT

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #54 of 2,709

Nice. Any impressions on the features on the touch pad? E.g. how precise and easy to activate, for instance to skip tracks or adjust volume?
Also, have you tried it for a phone call while in wireless mode?

Pairing the MDR-1000x with my huawei p8 lite was very easy , al functions (play/pause , adjust volume and skipping tracks) worked perfectly. 
I haven't tried it yet for a phone call in wireless mode.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #55 of 2,709
For those that have the opportunity to compare, I'd be very interested in comments on the relative cup sizes of the QC35 vs. the MDR-1000x. I've biggish ears, and from pictures of each one, the Bose appear significantly more generous.

Thx, BarryT

The inner cup size is the same on sight when pressed against each other , the earpads on the bose are bigger in outside diameter and  are a little bit deeper. My ears are biggisch as well , i haven't felt any discomfort so far with the sony . The bose win by a small margin on comfort & weight , active noise cancelling is a tie to my ears but the sony has the bose well beaten in terms of sound quality : the sony has a more balanced and detailed sound .

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #58 of 2,709
  Pairing the MDR-1000x with my huawei p8 lite was very easy , al functions (play/pause , adjust volume and skipping tracks) worked perfectly. 
I haven't tried it yet for a phone call in wireless mode.

I conducted a short wireless call today with my wife who was using a car kit. I asked her later on what she thought of the audio quality and apparently she couldn't tell any difference between my use of the headphone and a normal call.

Only a single test but early indications are positive

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #59 of 2,709

I conducted a short wireless call today with my wife who was using a car kit. I asked her later on what she thought of the audio quality and apparently she couldn't tell any difference between my use of the headphone and a normal call.

Only a single test but early indications are positive

This is what I am looking for! I use the Bose QC35 extensively for calls, and the setup works great -- the person I am calling can hear me clearly, even when I am outdoors. I also have the Sony MDR-100ABN (the predecssor of the 1000X), and that model performs terribly, especially when it is a bit breezy (just breezy, not even windy).
So I am tempted by the 1000X, but before taking an expensive plunge, want to confirm that it is on par with the QC35 when it comes to phone call clarity and background noise reduction.
Would you be testing it outdoors and in windy conditions? Would love to hear your feedback.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #60 of 2,709
+2 for windy conditions for music and talking because the 100abn truly sucks for both areas in the wind. I am trying conbinations of tape and foam but they don't help as much as I would like and any true acoustic tape solutions don't exist unless your buying massive quantities which make them impossible for the average person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back