Sony MDR-1000X
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2,701 of 2,709
Blah, I dropped them from table-height and now the right driver distorts under certain situations. Before this I already had some issues with distortion whenever I used the built-in amp/DSP WIRED. I'm considering upgrading to the M3s but not too keen on the price. Would like something with ANC and BT yet sounds decent without them powered on, and USB type C is preferred.
The XM3 are amazing sounding, IMO, but after the bass bloat is trimmed back via EQ. In my case I use Onkyo HF Player in my portable rig and the FIR EQ is pretty darn good.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #2,702 of 2,709
The XM3 are amazing sounding, IMO, but after the bass bloat is trimmed back via EQ. In my case I use Onkyo HF Player in my portable rig and the FIR EQ is pretty darn good.
Well, at this day and age the XM3s seem aged somewhat with other options available. I already have the MDR-1AM2 which is said to use the same drivers and is arguably tuned cleaner due to the lack of active circuitry. I was looking for a budget wireless over-ear that has AptX as well as USB Type-C charging - for a long time only Bluedio was doing this but I was wary of their products. Recently I discovered 3 options - Dyplay Urban Traveller 2, EKSA E5 and Meizu HD60. The Dyplay has it all and ANC test on a Chinese YouTube review seems really promising compared to the XM3. Other reviews seem to indicate they sound the same as the original Urban Traveller. I also see Dyplay has a "hybrid ANC" that is cheaper and folds up. The Meizu HD60 doesn't have ANC and the sound impressions have been mixed, while the EKSA E5 doesn't have AptX but seems to have some positive reviews.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,703 of 2,709
I think people over-hype small differences and make big claims sometimes (not referring to you). For instance, I hear no difference between well implemented AptX and LDAC so I am somewhat sceptical that there is a new technological reason that the XM3 sound aged as compared to some newer designs.

I don't mean that newer designs can't be appealing and perhaps tuned differently and be more enjoyable signatures for some as compared with the XM3, maybe for lots of people. I guess I tend to push back in a hobby where things that aren't even 2 years old are seen as somehow so old as to be missing something fundamental. Saying that, I do have to recognize that ANC as a technology is likely to improve and while it really isn't super important for me I get that for many people it is extremely important.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #2,704 of 2,709
I think people over-hype small differences and make big claims sometimes (not referring to you). For instance, I hear no difference between well implemented AptX and LDAC so I am somewhat sceptical that there is a new technological reason that the XM3 sound aged as compared to some newer designs.

I don't mean that newer designs can't be appealing and perhaps tuned differently and be more enjoyable signatures for some as compared with the XM3, maybe for lots of people. I guess I tend to push back in a hobby where things that aren't even 2 years old are seen as somehow so old as to be missing something fundamental. Saying that, I do have to recognize that ANC as a technology is likely to improve and while it really isn't super important for me I get that for many people it is extremely important.

Hi @Sonic Defender,

Just my humble 2 cents, I agree with you.

As BT Codecs stand nowadays, especially with the flood of wireless IEMs, certainly well implemented AptX can sound as good if not better than LDAC though aside from how well those codecs are implemented along with BT chip involved, the age old saying is very much true, head gear tuning as well as track dependancy matters.

With IEMs compared to headphones, codec implementations are a little more obvious though this can vary.

A good example of this is WF 1000 XM3, there is no LDAC or AptX, it subjectively doesn't as good as the previous M2 which is telling to some degree.
Whereas Helm Audio TW 5 & Klipsch T5 TW only use AptX & both sound a hell lot better than WF 1000 XM3.

& yes, I realise this is the 1000 X Heaphone thread but what I said is still relevant.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #2,705 of 2,709
Hi @Sonic Defender,

Just my humble 2 cents, I agree with you.

As BT Codecs stand nowadays, especially with the flood of wireless IEMs, certainly well implemented AptX can sound as good if not better than LDAC though aside from how well those codecs are implemented along with BT chip involved, the age old saying is very much true, head gear tuning as well as track dependancy matters.

With IEMs compared to headphones, codec implementations are a little more obvious though this can vary.

A good example of this is WF 1000 XM3, there is no LDAC or AptX, it subjectively doesn't as good as the previous M2 which is telling to some degree.
Whereas Helm Audio TW 5 & Klipsch T5 TW only use AptX & both sound a hell lot better than WF 1000 XM3.

& yes, I realise this is the 1000 X Heaphone thread but what I said is still relevant.

Hope you have a great day !
Thanks, and great points you are bringing up in terms of implementation (implementation most certainly matters as does overall design considerations). I can't help but wonder though if you aren't really describing the differences in design of the IEM in general as opposed to the Codecs being the difference makers in your description? If more than one variable changes at the same time it is difficult to draw conclusions as a result. If you can switch the Codecs on the same headphone/IEM and hear a difference (ideally blind listening testing, multiple trial) that is noteworthy. Hopefully I haven't started any debate in the thread about blind versus sighted listening comparisons. Have a good day.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,706 of 2,709
I am using wh-1000xm3, very good, exciting and v shaped and good soundstaging and separation, but too exciting for home usage while trying to sleep, but awesome for commutes and plane journeys, using with sony dap nw-zx100 and phone for netflix, huawei p30 pro, same it gets too sweaty

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #2,707 of 2,709
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,708 of 2,709
Just an FYI for anyone searching for a fix for the headband cracking issue - I found a guy on eBay who sells 3D-printed replacement parts. I installed one on my right joint, and I couldn't be happier. His handle on eBay is trail70engineer.

Couple of years back, I bought a 3D printed mould from someone else... This one looks better built! The one I have didn't have as many notches as the original to extend the headphones... Might score these once my ebay bucks drop. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #2,709 of 2,709
Couple of years back, I bought a 3D printed mould from someone else... This one looks better built! The one I have didn't have as many notches as the original to extend the headphones... Might score these once my ebay bucks drop. Thanks!

Yeah, this one has all ten notches. It looks like the best available on eBay. The brown color is a bit dark compared to my beige MDR-1000X, but not outrageously so. Black obviously fits right in with the black model.

Here's a picture of my pair: https://ibb.co/mv9PcrV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back