Sony MD vs. Sharp MD thread resurrection
Dec 13, 2002 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sbelonoz

Head-Fier
I've read this quote saying how Sony line-out compares with Sharp line-outs and decided to write my thoughts about it.
Here what I came up with...

Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
The Sharps use a "combined" line out - also coined a "headphone fudge" line out.
It is reportedly much better than the recent Sony line outs, however, and is a bit more powerful, 250mV compaired to 194mV. People who have owned Sony units and had problems with the line levels have had no troubles after they used Sharps.

I would let myself to be on Sony side here, no matter that it is not really popular brand in audiophile community. I had been using Sharp MD-501 for 4 years before I bought my R909. So, I can now compare the brands. I also used to listen to some other Sharp MDs and other Sony MDs as well. It appeared to me, that they sound very similar (I mean all Sonys are Sonys, all Sharps are well Sharps). And I have a conclusion for you, which you will surprised to hear. I was actually surprised myself. I used to love my Sharp so much, not even bothered to listen for Sony MD. But once I've tried my friend N707, I decided to buy myself a Sony too.

Well, the difference in sound is easily audible. Sharp's amplifier is stronger and it gives you a punchier bass, which might appeal to many out there. But when I listed to it more cafefully and compared it to Sony's sound, I found out, that Sharp bass is overpowered, it is just that pop-sounding bass you've got from your car stereo-system. Sony however gives you more audiophile sound, the response you've got is flat, no bamby bass, but there is still deep and articulate bass as it should be. I probably need to mention, that I am listening to my MD with Etys 4p, I guess the best combination for portable equipment. I used to listen to Koss KSC/35 before.

Now, as for ATRACs, the reason I've bought R909 was new Atrac R. I thought I would never notice the difference, but apparently I can. The highs are clearer with Atrac R (recorded through optical from reference CD) and the whole sound stage is wider. You will easily differenciate Atrac 4.5 from Atrac R, should you listen to the later for a while. As soon as you try to get back to 4.5 you hear that there is something wrong. So, I had to re-record all my CDs back to MDs with Atrac R. I don't normally listen to mp3, but for mp3 I use LP2, since you will not hear much of a difference with Atrac R for mp3 quality recordings.

As for the line-outs on both, Sharp says that as soon as you put the volume to the max (30) you get the physical parameters of a normal line-out. That is definitely not true. The line-out is much stronger than it should be. As for the audible difference, there is no difference at all, besides Sharp uses cut-off for bass for anything higher than 25 in volume. Thus you get cutted bass on your line-out. Very good! As for the late Sony MDs, they use the menu option to turn the output to line-out. I had a chance to compare the two through my hi-end system. Well, line-out is clearer on Sony, than on headphone out. I don't know how they do that, but it is true. You cannot listen to "line-out" setting with headphone, since the signal is very distorted. Seams like they are by-passing the amplifier with this menu option. Interesting enough.

And the last, but not least: hint for everybody how uses MD player. I tested the player together with usual AA battery and the accumulator charged to full. We all know, that better power supply gives you a better sound usually. I thought what if I do the same thing to my player. And wow! You wouldn't belive that, but the sound quality of my player changed a lot. The sound stage is wider now and the bass is tighter. You can do one trick. Just turn your music on and have the battery case pluged in. Then unplug the battery case and listen to what happens to the sound. It deteriorates! The bass is becoming rough almost instantly. Well not rough, but not as tight as it was. So, now I am listening to my player with the batter case and change the battery once per two weeks. I get the best sound possible from portable without the portable amplifier, which I am going to order from fixup soon.

That's my story...

Dec 13, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Hmmm.
Theoretically, my R37 with 3v going into it should sound better than those modern gumsticks with 1.2v? I wonder.... Not that I can tell, or care.

Anyone with an R37: How would you rate it's headphone out?

Dec 13, 2002 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 9
This thread should get posted on the MiniDisc T-Board........

Never owning a Sharp recorder, I am totally satisfied with the "Sony signature sound" and have never really wanted anything different, except, maybe, a bit more juice in the headphone out. With the ER-4Ps, I get all the detail that MiniDisc can provide, particularly in the SP mode.

I have heard the Sharp units are more bassy, but at the expense of some treble. Fortunately, the new DR7 does have an EQ control. The latest Sony models have an 8-step bass/treble, meaning one can tailer the sound to their liking whether it's a Sony or a Sharp. These differences are not as big a deal, any longer.

I have to try out the battery case thing to see if there is an improvement, although for walking and excercise, the AA pack would be cumbersome.

Dec 13, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 9
me,

It doesn't translate as simply as that because the units that use gumsticks have DC-DC converters inside. Many of the ICs and LSIs inside MD portables need 3V+ to run, some of them probably even more than the 3.6V+ that Li-ion batteries offer.

The Sharps that I own, including the 831 and the DS8, all sound different with each kind of power supply. Even if it's not obvious with an AA (I think it is), it's obvious with the AC adaptor. They sounded fine with my 4S - not too muddy at all - but who am I to say, I'll have to try them when I get my 4P in a few days.

Dec 13, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 9
Darn, I was hoping someone wouldn't say that.. Guess it's the same weedy amp as most of the rest of 'em
biggrin.gif
(weedy compared to my PC1s headphone out).

I'll probably end up getting a DR7, so i'll find out exactly what I prefer in about a month.

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 9
This was so intriguing I had to try it. I have a Sharp MD-MT888H and a Sony MZ-N707, as well as several Type-R decks. The vast majority of my current non NetMD recordings (pitifully few so far as I have given up on the thing, ugh) are Type-R 'Stereo'.
I've have already tried 'not really Line Out' operation to my laptop using both the MZ-N707 and the MT888 and the 888 gives much better resutls.
I tried the last thing you suggested. No differnce. I listened at 23 and 26 on the Sharp. Tried taking out the battery after a while. No difference in the relative bass output or the sound for that matter.
What headphones do you use with your Mindisc? Perhaps it's some sort of odd power hungry phone???? It's also not really representative, comparing an ancient unit with a brand new one.
It it helps my N707 is beautiful (it's blue) so that's definitely a point in it's favour, and the Japanese remote is the epitome of coolness. The 888 is pretty ugly, the remote looks very lumpy and the remote controls can catch on clothing when moving around, doing strange things. But it's much easier to use and the remote's much more informative, so I nearly always take the 888 instead of the N707.
Soundwise, I like the tweakability of the Sony but I enevitably find myself adjusting the sound to try and match the Sharp's "+1 Bass" sound.

Dec 17, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Where are people buying their Sharp portables from?

I have the MZ-N707 and I'm interested in buying a Sharp.

Dec 17, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 9
There are several e-tailers in the Southeast Asia area that sell Sharp MD units, such as Hyper Jack. MiniDisco usually have a few Sharp recorders, as well as MiniDisc Canada. If you visit the MiniDisc T-Board, there are various names of sponsors that would be able to help you.

Like anything in life, each MD maker offers their own perspective, but, ultimately, the consumer is getting better MiniDisc equipment than ever before.

Dec 18, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman

I tried the last thing you suggested. No differnce. I listened at 23 and 26 on the Sharp. Tried taking out the battery after a while. No difference in the relative bass output or the sound for that matter.
What headphones do you use with your Mindisc? Perhaps it's some sort of odd power hungry phone???? It's also not really representative, comparing an ancient unit with a brand new one.

Well, first of all, I said in my message that I was using Etys 4P with both minidisc units. Previously I was using Koss KSC/35. If you listen to Sharp at the volume 27, and then turn it up to 29 or 30, you will definitely hear the bass cut-off. It is easily audible, even if you listen to cheap earplugs, not talking about Etys. Everybody who uses Sharp MD for a considerable time knows about this cut-off feature. If I put the bass settings on Sharp to "+1", I get bass distortion with Etys 4p, so I have to switch back to "0". Sometimes it is better to use "+1" bass, but only with low quality recordings, like MP3.

Atrac R is significantly better than Atrac 6.0, which Sharp is using. I am sorry if you can't hear the difference. I really don't know why people like Sharp better. I used to, but only because of forum messages saying how good Sharp was. When I tried my friend's Sony, I bought myself one and there was no way back since. I have only one explanation of that miserable Sharp love. It is more powerful, it gives you more bass, but it doesn't necessary mean better sound quality. I am not even talking about Atrac difference. If you don’t hear the difference with Etys, well, then connect your Sharp and Sony to high-end system and switch from one to another. If you listen carefully, you will get the difference. Then try to record some music you know very well with Atrac R and listen on Sharp. It will sound better, than Sharp’s own record of the same music. Also try to play Sharp on different sound volumes and check the amount of bass you have each time. Is it considered to be an audiophile quality product, when you have a cut-off on a high volume? What about the line-out, which is really nothing but headphone. I guess it is one more audiophile feature. Of course I doubt, that it is possible to call any compression sound products (like MD) audiophile quality products, but Atrac R makes MD as close to CD as possible. And it is not a pure Sony marketing (which is disgusting for MD products by the way), but a real good sound Atrac R produces…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back