Sony MD player longevity
Jan 22, 2002 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

edog

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering how long Sony's MD players tend to last. I've had my MZ-E90 for two years, and I've used it quite heavily throughout that time. It's still working flawlessly.

Now, I'm pondering whether i should get an MZ-E900 before the MZ-E909 is the only high-end Sony player that's available. The MZ-E909's 3.5 mW/channel will certainly not be sufficient for me.

So, the real question is: how long should I expect my MZ-E90 to last?

Jan 22, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 6
I've had some bad luck with 2 MD players. The first one, EP11, died after 2 months, then another one, E75 (blue)...both headphone jacks went out on me after 6 months. Otherwise, all is fine and dandy (i have a red E75 working fine). I also have a E33 that still works perfectly...i've had this since Fall of 1999. I can get the E75 blue fixed...i'm just lazy n all.
biggrin.gif

George

Jan 22, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 6
I have the Sony MZ-R50 for 4 years and it still work perfectly. My Sharp 323 has an operation once and costed me a fortune. So...I think Sony players will last longer than the Sharps.

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

So...I think Sony players will last longer than the Sharps.

Purk, you can't say that with a sample size of one person
wink.gif

The in-progress longevity of my MD portables:

Sony MZ-R50: purchased in 1997

Sharp MS-MD702: purchased in 1997

Sharp MS-MD722: purchased in 1998

Sony MZ-E900: purchased in 2000

All have worked perfectly without a single problem.

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 6
The Japanese semi-audiophile crowd (The boards at http://natto.2ch.net/av/ constitute my samples) has been occasionally suspecting a "Sony timer" in the works. That is, Sonys may have been designed/fitted with parts that break down weeks after the (for instance, 1 year) warranty expires. This thing, for them, is suspected of Sony and only Sony.

In reality though, Sonys tend to be are as reliable as every other make, more or less, give or take. The only Sony MD product that has proven to be vastly inadequate in quality was the MDS-JA3ES, the first ES-series MD deck. There were many reports of the pickup failing way before it should (after recording as little as 30 discs, some owners have said).

In MD portables, Panasonics seem to be relatively less durable. It seems that the disc holders of their MD players don't have adequate strength, so they'll cease to hold the disc down with enough force, which makes the unit think there's no disc inserted when in fact you have loaded a disc. This is ironic, for Panasonics in other arenas are often quite durable.

To answer your question: Player-only pickups often last for a long time, much longer than recorders. I'd say your E90 has the potential to last 5 years, if not more, and suggest you don't buy a new one just because it might fail. Because it might fail, and it might not.

A trick to extend the life of your MD equipment, is to keep it in clean air as much as possible. Smoking around your MD portable, for example, is a no-no. Some even suggest not using the cleaning disc, but lightly wipe the pickup with something (e.g. really fine eyeglass-cleaning cloth). I personally do this and it hasn't caused any harm, but do it at your own risk.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
Some even suggest not using the cleaning disc, but lightly wipe the pickup with something (e.g. really fine eyeglass-cleaning cloth). I personally do this and it hasn't caused any harm, but do it at your own risk.

I don't even recommend that -- the lenses on most MD portables are plastic to save on weight, and plastic scratches much more easily than glass. The only thing I do to clean the lenses on my portables is to spray them with compressed air
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back