Sony MD-N505 Minidisc Player/Recorder
May 10, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #16 of 25
Trying to separate me from even more of my money, eh Eagle_Driver?
wink.gif

The Sony site lists only the power, USB, and optical stereo line inputs. If anyone here actually has a N505, would you please help to clear this up?

Thanks.

kerelybonto

May 10, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Trying to separate me from even more of my money, eh Eagle_Driver?
wink.gif

The Sony site lists only the power, USB, and optical stereo line inputs. If anyone here actually has a N505, would you please help to clear this up?

Thanks.

kerelybonto

kerelybonto,

Did you look at the Sony support site I linked to earlier? It specifically states that the line-in on the MZ-N505 will do either analog or digital, depending on what is being connected.

May 10, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #18 of 25
Sorry about my misinformation.
redface.gif

I have the non-NetMD predecessor of the MZ-N505, the MZ-R500PC - which did not come with an AC adaptor, couldn't recharge batteries, and had no provision whatsoever for a remote control. It had a Xitel AN-1 PC Link, however.

However, if y'all said an AC adaptor and remote-control/battery-recharge capability comes with the MZ-N505, I may consider buying one. I've learned that all Sony NetMD Walkman recorders come with an AC adaptor, a USB cable, OpenMG software and a blank 80-minute MD; the 707 also comes with a nifty charging stand (you plug in the unit's bundled AC adaptor into the charging stand instead of the MZ-N707 unit itself, and just set the 707 with its NC-AA battery onto the charging stand) and includes an optical connecting cable (but it may not come with the proper plug end for all output sources). With the 505, you'll need to plug in that unit itself in order to charge Sony's optional NC-AA or NH-AA rechargeable battery, and you'll also need to buy a connecting cable.

May 10, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 25
Megadeus, the site didn't seem real specific to the N505. It listed every method possible (for any recorder) to input audio, and it also mentioned only the N707 and N1 as including the optical and analog cables. Assuming that the N505 has the inputs but not the cables, it'd cost about $40 to makes use of the functionality. That's already about the cost difference between the N505 and the N707.

Yeah, think you have it right this time, Eagle_Driver. Just found a site that says the N505 comes with an AC adapter, but no cables except the USB.

So I guess it probably comes down to whether or not I need only an analog cable or an optical also -- the analog is only about $6 but the optical is about $35. If I need both, it'd cost less just to get the N707 and I'd be getting a better unit anyway.

kerelybonto

May 10, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #20 of 25
You're right, the MZ-N505 doesn't come with the digital cable, but don't go by Sony's usual inflated accessory prices.

You can buy an optical to miniplug digital cable at Minidisco for $11.

May 10, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #21 of 25
Speaking of optical cables, I'm using a $15 (for 1 meter/3.3 ft) cable from Recoton, which natively has regular Toslink connectors on both ends and comes with Toslink-to-mini adaptors. But I could have gone to an electronics parts store near work and bought the proper mini-to-mini cable (no adapters needed!) for $13.

May 10, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
I would suggest getting the N707 over the N505. The extra features far outweight the slight cost rise.

However, in the U.S., the N707 (at full retail price) costs $80 more than the N505. So, is it really worth that much to include a microphone jack, a charging stand, an optical connecting cable, a remote, and a NiCd rechargeable AA battery? It's up to you to decide.

May 10, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver

However, in the U.S., the N707 (at full retail price) costs $80 more than the N505. So, is it really worth that much to include a microphone jack, a charging stand, an optical connecting cable, a remote, and a NiCd rechargeable AA battery? It's up to you to decide.

You bet. Also the N707 has a better LCD on the unit. But I'm not deciding...
wink.gif

May 10, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 25
well in canada for me the decision was pretty straight forward

the 707 was another $150 more!!

so...
from my 223 I paid it was 380

the 707 came with a charging stand, the 505 comes with an ac adapter

the 505 can charge a a cheap 7 nicd battery just as well as the 707

the 707 comes with a car kit, and a remote

well first off, the remote gets in the way, (FOR ME ESPECIALLY) and I already have car kits from all my other cdp's

all I really wanted was a solid state mp3 player in the first place, but heck with md capabilites and netmd,
I couldn't go wrong
and they hardly skip

as well the reason why I hate the remote is, that I don't need an additional length to my cords, as I skateboard, snowboard, ski, and bike ride

so... I found the 505 a perfect alternative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back