SONY MA900 resistor Mod
Nov 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nemesis12345

New Head-Fier
   Hi guys, Long time lurker, I bought a sony ma900 a few weeks ago looking for the most comfortable open design (My ears get hot really easy), tried the HD650 but didn't like the build quality and the comfort at all, So I got the MA900, at first it sounded so thin and "weak", like an AM radio.
I EQ 'ed and it got better but still something was "missing", Until I found out about the "compensating resistors" network, WHAT A DIFFERENCE, I took both resistors out, CLARITY, bass is tight, Treble sparkle, etc..Is like the resistors were degrading the signal somehow. Anyone who needs instructions pls ask, I could take some pics too. Anyone who made this mod too please reply to confirm my findings.  I still dont know what SONY ppl are thinking, at least they should put a switch on the compensating network, not everyone has crappy 60 Ohms OI headphone amps.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 15
Sorry, a bit late, but do you think you could share the pictures of the mods because I am interested, but i am not sure if I can do it since I am kind of new to this.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 15
  Sorry, a bit late, but do you think you could share the pictures of the mods because I am interested, but i am not sure if I can do it since I am kind of new to this.

+1

Can someone share a tutorial for M900 resistor mod?

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 15
Hello,  I wanted to do the resister mod for my MA900 but couldn't find any instructions.  I'm sick today, couldn't sleep all night so here's my take on the mod.

Remove pads to access the five small phillip head screws.  Eventhough this is a single entry cable, you will need to open both sides.

Remove the bezel or ring holding the driver (Thing in background).  The driver is suspended by the grill with just one tab and peg.  Top of picture.

The grill wraps around the back of the driver.  Remove the grill just like removing the pads.

Untouched circuit board of the left driver.

Left board after mod.  The two ground wires are unsoldered, put together and soldered to the right pad of the 1RO resistor. Pad closes to the white square blob of epoxy.
The 22O resistor is removed.  It it is easier to leave the 22O resistor and cut the trace on either side of the resistor with a exacto type knife.  Cutting any side will work. The traces are very thin but make sure it is completely cut.

Untouched right side board.

Same as left side.  Remove ground wire and resolder to the inside solder pad of the 1RO resistor.  The pad closes to the white square blob of epoxy.
Remove 22O resistor or just cut one of the traces.

That"s it.  Just reassemble and enjoy.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #12 of 15
I've read about better treble and bass but I don't hear that.  Same tones and frequency response but just smoother, natural and organic sounding.  Also the treble, mid and bass crossover is very good.  Like listening to a speaker with a very good crossover network or a full range speaker  with no crossover like a Fostex or Lowther.  This is on a Gustard H10 headphone amp.

Jan 1, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 15
I know this is an old thread but, just reporting in to offer my impressions, as a friend helped me do the mod last night as we celebrated New Year's. Many thanks to Sunneebear for the photos we used as a guide. We were confused because my pair turned out to have some small differences in stock wiring, but managed to get it figured out. Before the mod, there was a thick veil over the midrange that made it sound recessed and gave it more of a V-shaped sound. Now after the mod, the veil is gone. I can't say it changed much else, but the treble doesn't seem as prominent, sometimes bordering on harshness now that the mids are more clear. 

All in all, I'd say to anyone on the fence about this mod to go ahead and do it. It's reversable anyway if you leave the resistors in and just cut the traces. 

May 8, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Can someone tell me what "cut the traces" means?
I am thinking of doing this mod and I want to learn.
Thanks in advance for any help. ;-@

May 8, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 15
I googled it. Thanks for your patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back