Sony IER-Z1R cable defect thread

Has your MMCX metal shroud/sleeve become dislodged?

• Yes (please indicate your serial number. X out the last digit or two if you'd like)

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No (please indicate your serial number. X out the last digit or two if you'd like)

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
Oct 23, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #39 of 46
All good here 0059xx

So I suppose those which are in the 10ks have those problems ?
And does it happen only on the 3.5mm cable ?
This should be reported asap to Sony.
I dont wanna go offtopic but my cables have liquid in the sleeves I wanted to contact sony about it but I don't know how... no customer support chat or email just sent it to a repair center but that's too far away from me..

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #41 of 46
All good here 0059xx

So I suppose those which are in the 10ks have those problems ?
And does it happen only on the 3.5mm cable ?
This should be reported asap to Sony.
I dont wanna go offtopic but my cables have liquid in the sleeves I wanted to contact sony about it but I don't know how... no customer support chat or email just sent it to a repair center but that's too far away from me..
I have the liquid issue too. I just bought a new cable. Not the slightest damn clue how that happened tbph.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #42 of 46
Hello everyone, I have a damaged left earbud socket. My serial number is 9755. I guess this extends how many of these items were affected. The piece in the middle of the socket seems broken and you can get no sound out it. It is out of the warranty period. Does anyone know of a repair shop or person in the United States who could help?

Dec 27, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #43 of 46
Hello everybody, I have voted.

I have had my pair of IER-Z1R since this mid-September approximately (i.e. for 3 months). Serial No. 01407x.

Luckily no problems with the metal sleeve on the MMCX connector so far.
However, that is to say, I have swapped the stock cables only twice. From the 4.4 mm balanced one to the 3.5 mm single ended one and back.
Thanks to the SQ of the stock 4.4 mm balanced cable I really do not feel any need to use the other stock cable with my IER-Z1R.

I have bought an 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm ddHiFi adapter for usage with my SONY NW-A55 that had single ended HO output only.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #45 of 46
Such is the problem with MMCX connectors. The outer snap ring will eventually wear down, if not the inner snap ring. However, this shouldn't be an unrecoverable fault as long as the center pin remains intact. It might take a bit of effort... first thing I'd do is take a drafting mechanical pencil (only care about the metal tip) and bend the snap connectors inward. Do it gently - you only want to bend the little "clips" at the top. Once done, use a piece of floss or something equivalent to pull it out.

The ones I own start with 016xxx, but I suspect that an excess amount of force caused the failure (not blaming the user, the manufacturer is ultimately at fault for having you pay for two cables that you can't interchange easily).

After a few times struggling to disconnect them (with a more than reasonable amount of force), I figured out a more effective way where you don't get the "pop" from the tension relief of the snap connectors.

1. Hold the IEM with your finger, curling it around the housing - the SONY logo facing you.
The connection side should be resting on either side of the pip joint of your dominant hand (pip is the first after your knuckle).
2. Now lightly squeeze the IEM and gently push down with your thumb so the cable connector is securely pressed on the side of your finger.
3. Take a hobby knife, and from the logo side, insert the **blunt** end between your cable and IEM, _towards your body_. (If you try and do it away... you are far more likely to stab your finger.
4. If it starts bending the connector, use your thumb to have your finger push in the opposite direction.

You can also use guitar picks (I use Dunlop 60mm - 50mm is too flimsy) or the fingernail of your thumbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back