Sony Hybrids- Overrated?
Mar 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

stephancho

100+ Head-Fier
I used a pair of these today, and while the seal is very good, as is isolation; they aren't as comfortable as people claim they are. They hurt my ears after an hour or so. I used all four tips, but all hurt my ears. Are they REALLY as good as people make them out to be in your opinion?

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 25
Yup.  On my turbines I tried multiple types and brands (monster super tips both gel and foam, comply 400s and obviously everything that came with the buds) and I randomly saw the hybrids at best buy one day and picked em up just for giggles.  Looking back, it was a great decision as I love the large ones...fit perfectly, are really comfy and seal really well.  No complaints at all really and I'm pretty sure there are a ton of guys who agree.  They seem to be pretty popular.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 25
You aren't pushing them in too deep, are you?

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 25
When I can help it, I use hybrids. I love them so much that I'm almost willing to forgive Sony's stupid packaging.

My ear canals don't change in size. Why the hell can't I just buy the one size I need instead of having to buy two sizes I'm never going to use?

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 25
My desk drawer is a testament to the fact that different people have different results with different tips.  While the Sony hybrids are well-made and good quality material, they might not fit/feel/isolate/sound the best to every one.

Like me, you will likely just have to buy and try lots of different tips, especially if you have more than one IEM you use.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
When I can help it, I use hybrids. I love them so much that I'm almost willing to forgive Sony's stupid packaging.

My ear canals don't change in size. Why the hell can't I just buy the one size I need instead of having to buy two sizes I'm never going to use?

You can buy them by size at the Sony website but they charge anywhere from 4.95 to $14.95 per individual tip +6.95 for shipping  :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 25
 I think the sony hybrids please most people which is why they're talked about so much. But it all depends on the ear. I have never seen a positive opinion about a pair of IEM stock tips which just happen to fit my ear perfectly.

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
 I think the sony hybrids please most people which is why they're talked about so much. But it all depends on the ear. I have never seen a positive opinion about a pair of IEM stock tips which just happen to fit my ear perfectly.

You won't until you say so.  =p

I'm using my TF10 with its stock tips.  They're pretty good.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 25
They're very versatile as a fit a variety of nozzle sizes, and that's probably why they get talked about alot.

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
My desk drawer is a testament to the fact that different people have different results with different tips.  While the Sony hybrids are well-made and good quality material, they might not fit/feel/isolate/sound the best to every one.

Like me, you will likely just have to buy and try lots of different tips, especially if you have more than one IEM you use.

Yup.  It highly depends on the iems.  The hybrids are about the only tips I've used with my ne7m's that don't drive me insane.  Shure silicon seal too well so it's really hard to get them in without creating pressure between ear canal and driver, stock don't isolate or seal well.  Foam doesn't sound right.  Ironically I got the hybrids AFTER I bought better IEMs
tongue.gif
.  I've used the ne7m a couple times with the SS hybrids and they seem to be ok although I still can't stand the ne7m for very long.

Quote:
You won't until you say so.  =p

I'm using my TF10 with its stock tips.  They're pretty good.

TBH I think stock is the best for most IEM's unless the stock ones are exceptionally terrible.  Out of the literal handful of ear tips I have, the stock ones work best with my Custom 3's.  I've come to the conclusion that like earpads for headphones, the IEM's were designed to use the stock eartips.  Changing them almost always changes the sound for the worse.  Hybrids fit the custom 3's but they mess with the sound a little.  IIRC they brought out some harshness or something.  Similar case for the shure eartips.  It just slightly tweaks with the freqency response and it doesn't make it better.

I didn't even mention the countless combinations of eartips used at the same time (foam, silicon...).

Quote:

I think it might be a bit of hype too.  Something else to buy.  I won't deny the white hybrids look pretty sweet on my custom 3's and just about any iem.  Definitely look unique.  TBH I think the whole aftermarket eartips is way overrated.  It's a waste of money especially if you have cheaper IEM's.  It doesn't make sense to spend even $10 on eartips for a $50 iem.  After just a couple different styles of eartip you could've easily gotten a 70-100 iem.  Of course that is less true for more expensive IEM's, but more expensive IEM's usually come with nicer eartips.

The one thing I will say for the hybrids, is they can get a decent seal easier than some of the silicon tips.  On the other hand they can get warm in the ear like foam eartips.

I forgot to quote one of the other posts about price.  I picked mine up at a sony outlet store for ~$6-8 (I don't remember tbh) for four pairs.  Amazon has them for a little more than that.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 25
I thought the Hybrids were too thin and flimsy.  I use a pair of Sony Ericsson tips and find them much better, they are thicker, don't turn themselves inside-out when taking them out, and are comfortable

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 25
The Sony hybrids are consistently the best for me, both for fit/comfort and for sound quality. They only other kind that offer the same sound quality consistently are the comply foamies, but the Sonys don't wear out and are more comfortable; they are also easier to insert.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 25
No they are definitely worth their hype for me. I purchased the CK10 and their stock tips were awful. They were hard, uncomfortable, had average isolation and kept falling out of my ears. The hybrids (compatible ones), were completely the opposite. They were a lot more comfortable, had decent isolation, and would stick to my ears like glue. They took the experience of using the CK10 to another level. I can now keep wearing the CK10 for hours, without any pain or discomfort.
The best 5 bucks I ever spent.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 25
I don't find the Sony's to be the most comfortable but they certainly are one of the best in terms of the ease of getting a good seal on most guys. The only tip I prefer over them are those that came with the sunrise Xcapes. They are amazing. The same ease of getting a good seal and yet alot more comfortable to me. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back