Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,216 of 1,526
yeah what i've gathered is that LG isn't very good at making quality products despite putting out interesting stuff at tech shows it doesn't translate to quality in the mass market.

despite having superior headphne jack qality to samsung, i think thats about the only advantage it has since i'd say in terms of everything else samsung is probably better at including display, camera, design, and probably even software.

its really up to sony now. Oh and the LG panel isn't that good compared to the s8/note 8 display.

I mean, TBH, it really is a great phone overall. If it wasn't for the MMS issue, I can't really say I have any other issues with it. The camera is great, though I still think Sony's camera is slightly better though, as maybe is Samsung's (on SOME level lol) and even HTC's. I do love the second wide camera lens.......makes for some great pictures like the one below of a bacon cheeseburger I had in downtown Chicago recently. lol (Though I will say if you save it and view it zoomed in, it does lose some of its sharpness.)

20180206_191125.jpg

Mehh........don't give SHAME-SUNG so much credit aertus. Remember, I OWNED the S5 and S7. lol 4 GBs and the 820 yet it STILL LAGGED all the time. Inaccurate colors and oversaturation on the photos and displays, that MicroUSB BUG that caused my music to skip every 3-5 min when I hooked it up to my old Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, INSANELY AWFUL audio and call quality, etc. My buddy who I mentioned earlier (Best Buy) got the Note 8 which is their latest of course, and he too had issues with the call quality. So F them. LOL

Maybe the S8 display is better overall, but it's not better in every respect, like in low light. (See 2 pics right below giraffe ones.)

Sony craps on Samsung on all those areas IMO. Maybe before Z5 their cameras were better, but that's the past. I will give Samsung credit though for FINALLY making phones that aren't butt a$$ ugly anymore. LOL The Note 8 looks pretty sick.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #1,218 of 1,526
i think samsung doesn't make over saturated screens anymore which might have been true for previous phones before the s8. but the s8 has better display. having a bad display is a big downgrade even if samsung has crap audio quality. and the camera software is better. There aren't that many better reasons to buy the lgv30 over the s8.

but maybe there is for the htc u11 plus. which does everything really well.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #1,219 of 1,526
i think samsung doesn't make over saturated screens anymore which might have been true for previous phones before the s8. but the s8 has better display. having a bad display is a big downgrade even if samsung has **** audio quality. and the camera software is better. There aren't that many better reasons to buy the lgv30 over the s8.

but maybe there is for the htc u11 plus. which does everything really well.

I dunno. Maybe...... I haven't checked out the S8 or Note 8 screen/camera shots as of yet. My cousin has the S8 and my friend has both the iPhone X and the Note 8. He sent in the Note 8 to get the audio issue fixed and Samsung did take care of it for him. So I dunno. lol

I think the display is just fine on the V30. But the camera as you saw doesn't retain the details the way Sony, Samsung, and even my HTC 10 (post-all 3 major camera updates) did. So yeah. My cousin said his V20 was the same way. Some shots would come out excellent, others not so much. Sony and Samsung are more consistent there.

Well for me the audio thing is huge b/c it means I don't need an amp/DAC to carry around anymore. With my luck the XZ2 Pro will be awesome but still have a weak amp even with Oreo, which is supposed to make it much louder like that guy on here said it did for his XZ Premium. If I have to I'll get a portable amp but I mean at this point I'd rather not have to. lol But I have FAR too many Hi-Res albums now that were mastered at lower volumes, so a mediocre amp for me is unacceptable now. I wish they had the DragonFly amp/DACs in an amp-only version. All the good portable amps are not tiny like that (i.e. flash drive size) but more like my Oppo. I may have to research it more, but I think I'll get the phone first and try it out then decide. FiiO A5 will be my first choice though cuz don't want a cheap amp but not pricey either (A5 is about $125 on Amazon). F'ing Sony...........just make the amp stronger dammit!! lol

Yeah. I just saw another article about how HTC is struggling financially, unlike Sony which no longer is. Makes me not wanna buy another HTC. lol I really love the OnePlus phones but those FOR SURE I'll need an amp/DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #1,220 of 1,526
I dunno. Maybe...... I haven't checked out the S8 or Note 8 screen/camera shots as of yet. My cousin has the S8 and my friend has both the iPhone X and the Note 8. He sent in the Note 8 to get the audio issue fixed and Samsung did take care of it for him. So I dunno. lol

I think the display is just fine on the V30. But the camera as you saw doesn't retain the details the way Sony, Samsung, and even my HTC 10 (post-all 3 major camera updates) did. So yeah. My cousin said his V20 was the same way. Some shots would come out excellent, others not so much. Sony and Samsung are more consistent there.

Well for me the audio thing is huge b/c it means I don't need an amp/DAC to carry around anymore. With my luck the XZ2 Pro will be awesome but still have a weak amp even with Oreo, which is supposed to make it much louder like that guy on here said it did for his XZ Premium. If I have to I'll get a portable amp but I mean at this point I'd rather not have to. lol But I have FAR too many Hi-Res albums now that were mastered at lower volumes, so a mediocre amp for me is unacceptable now. I wish they had the DragonFly amp/DACs in an amp-only version. All the good portable amps are not tiny like that (i.e. flash drive size) but more like my Oppo. I may have to research it more, but I think I'll get the phone first and try it out then decide. FiiO A5 will be my first choice though cuz don't want a cheap amp but not pricey either (A5 is about $125 on Amazon). F'ing Sony...........just make the amp stronger dammit!! lol

Yeah. I just saw another article about how HTC is struggling financially, unlike Sony which no longer is. Makes me not wanna buy another HTC. lol I really love the OnePlus phones but those FOR SURE I'll need an amp/DAC.
there is nothing wrong with HTC as a company. I was considering buying the htc11 or the 11 plus if only it wasn't for their lack of headphone jack. HTC is also invested into VR and the HTC vive is the best VR headset right now. they are still good in some things. They are struggling financially because they've lost brand recognition despite htc10 being a good phone and the 11 too.

sony just needs to stop holding back because its afraid its xperia smartphones will eat into the 300 dollar walkman line or the point and shoot cameras. cuz they can easily make their phone great. but Sony just recently changed CEO and with record profits not seen since 1998 maybe there will be change for the better cuz im of tired of this samsung monopoly.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #1,221 of 1,526
there is nothing wrong with HTC as a company. I was considering buying the htc11 or the 11 plus if only it wasn't for their lack of headphone jack. HTC is also invested into VR and the HTC vive is the best VR headset right now. they are still good in some things. They are struggling financially because they've lost brand recognition despite htc10 being a good phone and the 11 too.

sony just needs to stop holding back because its afraid its xperia smartphones will eat into the 300 dollar walkman line or the point and shoot cameras. cuz they can easily make their phone great. but Sony just recently changed CEO and with record profits not seen since 1998 maybe there will be change for the better cuz im of tired of this samsung monopoly.

No there isn't. My ONLY real issue with the HTC 10 was the battery life, esp after 10 months. It started going bad a bit too soon IMO. But I did love that phone.

Yeah the headphone jack being taken out was a dumb move on their part. They gotta stop tryin' to copy Apple. lol I felt like my 10 was an iPhone-wannabe. LOL

Yeah the VR business is doing great but not mobile. They sold off some part of it (mobile) to Google last year, but really Google should've just bought them out completely. I bet Google's money could've catapulted HTC to a whole new level. Dummies!! lol

Yeah man.........AGREED!! F the Walkman line. Let ppl who wanna buy DAPs buy f'ing DAPs. For the rest of us, give us what we want.......GREAT audio! Not just almost great. But the thing is, my Walkman A17's amp wasn't the strongest either vs. other DAPs, so really Sony needs to just juice up ALL these devices! lol

You and me both brother. LOL It makes me sick how ppl love Samsung SO much but I've owned TWO (actually three cuz I had the S7 Edge for like 2 weeks lol) Samsung phones, and they were the worst phones ever. I couldn't wait to sell off my S7 after 4 mos of putting up with its BS. lol No phone I've ever had was perfect, but I dunno. There's just something about Samsung phones..........it's like they were designed to annoy me. And annoy me they DID. lol

So my cousin just IM'd me this. His co-worker (admin at a university) is selling off his black XZ Premium for only $400. Sick deal! I'm tempted to buy it, but on T-Mo if I want VoLTE on this phone I have to go through modding/rooting it per a post I saw on XDA. Not sure if I wanna go through that, esp if there's a chance the next one will be T-Mo VoLTE-enabled?

1660165726020192258%253Faccount_id%253D0

If you're interested though, lemme know.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,223 of 1,526
You and me both brother. LOL It makes me sick how ppl love Samsung SO much but I've owned TWO (actually three cuz I had the S7 Edge for like 2 weeks lol) Samsung phones, and they were the worst phones ever. I couldn't wait to sell off my S7 after 4 mos of putting up with its BS. lol No phone I've ever had was perfect, but I dunno. There's just something about Samsung phones..........it's like they were designed to annoy me. And annoy me they DID. lol
LOL. samsung sucks with software thats why and they are still not good with audio products at all. The only thing they really excel is in their displays.

new sony CEO says he is not happy with the current state of sony eletronics. he says that sony is either just keeping up or just catching up with the competition. So big changes are on the way. It could be another year before sony really ups the game.

I'm good on buying a phone for now.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,224 of 1,526
LOL. samsung sucks with software thats why and they are still not good with audio products at all. The only thing they really excel is in their displays.

new sony CEO says he is not happy with the current state of sony eletronics. he says that sony is either just keeping up or just catching up with the competition. So big changes are on the way. It could be another year before sony really ups the game.

I'm good on buying a phone for now.

Yeah. And I DO/DID love Samsung Pay too! lol

The S9/S9+ will have AKG-tuned stereo speakers, but I haven't confirmed whether they are front-facing or not. If not, epic fail. lol And not sure if the AKG-tuning applies to the headphones or not either. You would THINK yes, but this is Samsung we're talkin' about here. lol

He said that?? That's awesome!! Sounds like MY kind of CEO then! haha

I hope not!! 2018 Sony Mobile!! DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

You mean you don't want/need one now then?

I am still deciding myself. It depends on the specifics of the XZ2 Pro. OH btw, that post I just put up saying it will be called the XZ2 Pro............Xperia Blog owner/manager replied to my forward e-mail to him and he said it's prob fake cuz Benchmarks don't really ever post official model names pre-release. But I am still hopeful on the 18:9. lol

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,226 of 1,526
ordered the sony mh1c since they are highly regarded for being ahead of their time and above their price range for their price. also got the senheissers cx300 II too for my daily commute needs for when the other breaks.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,228 of 1,526
Nice! Both look pretty cool.
both are also running out of stock fast too. and so i thought i'd cop. all reviews say they are really high quality for the price. many say in fact mh1c is so good its on par with near 100 dollar earphones.

the mh750 were really durable too they lasted me a good 2 years plus!! which is the highest endurance rating for any pair i've owned so far stock otherwise.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,229 of 1,526
both are also running out of stock fast too. and so i thought i'd cop. all reviews say they are really high quality for the price. many say in fact mh1c is so good its on par with near 100 dollar earphones.

the mh750 were really durable too they lasted me a good 2 years plus!! which is the highest endurance rating for any pair i've owned so far stock otherwise.

That's awesome! Hopefully they sound as great as the reviews say they do.

Yeah earphones, esp sub-$100 ones..........they tend to break pretty fast. That is why if I ever went back to them I'd never get ones that didn't have a detachable cable. Usually the first thing to go bad is the cable from my experience. But at least you bought a couple of the higher-rated ones, so your chances are better IMO of them lasting longer I believe.

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,230 of 1,526
That's awesome! Hopefully they sound as great as the reviews say they do.

Yeah earphones, esp sub-$100 ones..........they tend to break pretty fast. That is why if I ever went back to them I'd never get ones that didn't have a detachable cable. Usually the first thing to go bad is the cable from my experience. But at least you bought a couple of the higher-rated ones, so your chances are better IMO of them lasting longer I believe.
yeah they are both highly durable but likely the cable will be the first thing to kill them. the ones that lasted me 2 year plus the cable went bad as well. Detachable cable is definitely a must if you go higher in the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back