Sony/B&W/HTC/AKG/Sennheiser/MISC Thread
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #856 of 1,526
Well yeah. Why do you think I posted the article here? lol The Sony LDAC contribution is one of the best things about that article. Sony was actually wise to do this because even though it seems like they are "giving away LDAC", the fact is, sales of their LDAC-compatible headphones and speakers should spike after Oreo hits because you can only utilize LDAC in full if both the source and the headphone or speaker has it too. I've read that even if it doesn't, you can still hear a difference, but it's more apparent when the receiving device is LDAC-compatible too. Of course, Sony Mobile needs to do a lot more than this if they wanna see profits rise in 2018. The question is, will they?

Not sure if the XZ1 will come with Oreo or not. I know the Note 8 is coming out soon, but it will come with Nougat not Oreo, so it's possible?

Yeah the V30 looks pretty cool. But I still don't trust LG b/c of that boot loop, and also the camera quality of the V20 was not that great either. Plus it's a phablet, so that's Strike 3 for me. LOL
LG is a company i cannot really recommend to people when it comes to anything really. Even their TVs suck and are losing market share to Sony bravia. And you nailed it by mentioning the boot loop. you know due to LG loses and shortage of engineers they cannot fix the boot loop still? and yeah being a phablet is another strike. Its going down the gutter but i wouldn't doubt it if LG tried their hardest with v30 but i wouldn't hold my breathe.

the sony collaboration goes more than just the LDAC. they collaborated on the "core" code of android so that they can get faster updates since they dont have to change it. And rumor has it because of this the xz1 might also be one of the first to have oreo out of the box. no i think note 8 is coming with 7.1

Sony will change their design in 2018. JDI is also going bankrupt for their inability to switch to OLED mass production since the market is favoring oled more and more. This might mean they will be baught off by foxconn and merge with Sharp which would be amazing because the could combine all of their innovations together. And thats a whole lot of display innovation both companies hold. Foxconn is a really good thing for struggling japanese companies because they have money to help them with production and they will keep stakes in the company.

combined with design change, and verzion contract expiring next year it could be make it break it for sony. but honestly they prob dont even need to be that huge to just make money. If sony dont change i might switch to Nokia or HTC. Or heck Pixel xl2 which i hear will be amazing.

Anyone else like the essential phone though? bezeless with titanium and ceramic seems very appealing. Both materials unique that not even the big companies are doing.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #857 of 1,526
LG is a company i cannot really recommend to people when it comes to anything really. Even their TVs suck and are losing market share to Sony bravia. And you nailed it by mentioning the boot loop. you know due to LG loses and shortage of engineers they cannot fix the boot loop still? and yeah being a phablet is another strike. Its going down the gutter but i wouldn't doubt it if LG tried their hardest with v30 but i wouldn't hold my breathe.

the sony collaboration goes more than just the LDAC. they collaborated on the "core" code of android so that they can get faster updates since they dont have to change it. And rumor has it because of this the xz1 might also be one of the first to have oreo out of the box. no i think note 8 is coming with 7.1

Sony will change their design in 2018. JDI is also going bankrupt for their inability to switch to OLED mass production since the market is favoring oled more and more. This might mean they will be baught off by foxconn and merge with Sharp which would be amazing because the could combine all of their innovations together. And thats a whole lot of display innovation both companies hold. Foxconn is a really good thing for struggling japanese companies because they have money to help them with production and they will keep stakes in the company.

combined with design change, and verzion contract expiring next year it could be make it break it for sony. but honestly they prob dont even need to be that huge to just make money. If sony dont change i might switch to Nokia or HTC. Or heck Pixel xl2 which i hear will be amazing.

Anyone else like the essential phone though? bezeless with titanium and ceramic seems very appealing. Both materials unique that not even the big companies are doing.

Yeah I wonder if the V30 will have the boot loop issue? I'd like to think it won't, but really, who knows for sure? But one thing I WILL give LG credit for is actually giving a damn about audio quality, unlike SAMDUNG and unfortunately Sony in more recent times. lol Even Apple could follow suit and start offering iPhones with better DACs. I mean F, I saw online that the upcoming iPhone 8 and Note 8 are both gonna be like $1200?!! How the hell do you charge THAT much and NOT have an outstanding amp & DAC on your phone?! It's outrageous!! lol

Yes besides LDAC they contributed to the code too. That is true. That would be awesome if by contributing that meant faster updates for Xperia users. Yeah Note 8 will have Nougat, but XZ1........that would be cool if it had Oreo natively. I guess we'll find out soon enough. But 2700 mAh battery aertus?! What?! I don't care if it has the 835, in 2017 the LOWEST battery a smartphone with a 5-5.2" display is 3000-3200 mAh. When I saw that I automatically knew I'd never buy it. Not that I was looking, but still.

I sure hope so man. HTC isn't doing as well as I'd hoped despite the U11 sales. So I'm hoping in 2018 Sony will FINALLY grow some balls and start trying to take on Samdung and Apple again in the U.S. I don't want them to make any big changes with their design per se, just work on giving us more screen and less bezel, and phones made from TITANIUM would be awesome! (no more cases!!!!! lol). Improve the audio, less focus on phablets lol, in the U.S.: give us the FS, advertise more (A LOT more lol), sell through the major carriers again (ALL of them!!!), certify VoLTE with T-Mobile, etc etc.

Yeah, we can thank SAMDUNG for that. Everyone's going OLED now, even Apple I heard. JDI's going bankrupt though? That sucks! But I thought you said they were gonna go OLED too but it would be their version of OLED which wouldn't feature oversaturated colors like garbage Samdung's phones offer?! lol Well if they're bought off then yeah JDI + Sharp sounds good to me I guess.

Yeah since HTC is making the Pixel 2, it might be worth looking into. I have NO idea what my next phone will be. Hopefully HTC or Sony, but who knows right now?! I just helped my father get the new OnePlus 5 cuz he wanted a bigger newer phone with great Global compatibility (only ONE model of the 5) but not expensive. The 5 just came out 2 mos ago and it's only $479. A damn great info if you ask me! The camera on my 10 and of course the audio are better, and I got a 2K screen vs. 10's 1080p screen, but still those things are just fine (esp camera) on the 5 but everything else is better (newer processor, more RAM, longer battery life, etc). It has a metal unibody and headphone jack, just like my 10 too which is nice. The charger it comes with (Dash charger) is rated as being faster than Quick Charge (QC) 3.0 also, which is nice since there still isn't a 4.0 out yet. It's nice to see some other good competition out there (OnePlus is based in China) for Samdung and Apple. lol

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #859 of 1,526
I'm really curious about Note8, because it might have a large enough screen for me...

Hi George,

Haha.............perhaps? One cool thing with Samsung is their decision on the S8/S8+ to go with the 18:9 screen. I assume they will be doing the same on the Note 8? I think overall it's better b/c as a result you get more screen to enjoy.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #860 of 1,526

Well apparently both GSM Arena and Phone Arena are saying the XZ1 is coming with Oreo 8.0, so looks pretty likely that it will be the first Fall Release phone to have it out of the box aertus. lol Both Note 8 and V30 are coming with Nougat 7. (Of course, the Nexus and Pixel phones already got Oreo since they're GOOGLE phones lol.)

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #861 of 1,526
Well apparently both GSM Arena and Phone Arena are saying the XZ1 is coming with Oreo 8.0, so looks pretty likely that it will be the first Fall Release phone to have it out of the box aertus. lol Both Note 8 and V30 are coming with Nougat 7. (Of course, the Nexus and Pixel phones already got Oreo since they're GOOGLE phones lol.)

Man, I want to get a Npote 8 right now. I really hope they won't be problematic and I really hope that I won't be getting the short end of the stick for being an early adopter.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #862 of 1,526
Man, I want to get a Npote 8 right now. I really hope they won't be problematic and I really hope that I won't be getting the short end of the stick for being an early adopter.

Samsung is better now than they were before, though I'm not yet ready to suggest to anyone to buy one. lol They seem to have LITTLE regard for sound quality, which is a MAJOR issue for me. lol I had the S7 and its sound quality was AWFUL George. lol The speakers were terrible..........bass sounded like somebody shooting off a laser gun. The headphone quality was just ok b/c they don't use very good DACs or if they do they don't have very good supporting tech for the DAC, which is more important than most people know. Plus even though the 3.5mm headphone jack (which is gone now lol) was fine, the MicroUSB port had some issue where if I used it (with amp/DAC device) for music, every 3-5 min the sound would skip. I found out later it was due to a bug in the MicroUSB port driver. I don't even know if they've fixed it as of yet. That's a BIG mistake to me, and it shows their utter disregard for sound quality. Then you have the oversaturated screen and camera pics, the overly and unnecessarily complicated Settings menu and UI (though the menu is better than before), the TouchWiz LAG (despite having 4 GBs or RAM), which my HTC 10 and old Sony Xperia X Performance DIDN'T have, and yeah............I dunno. lol I'd read reviews before buying anything my friend. lol

Honestly, if I were you, I'd rather get the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. (More pics/info here.) It only came out 2 months ago, has a great camera and screen is 4K WITH HDR (better blacks/contrast), waterproof, stereo front-facing speakers w/ headphone jack, excellent call quality, a 3230 mAh battery and Phone Arena gave it an "Excellent" battery rating, etc. With headphone audio, I'd still recommend an amp/DAC like the very highly-rated AudioQuest DragonFly Red ($198 in the U.S.) as even though it sounds better than Samsung's phones do, it still isn't AS good as the V20/V30 or HTC 10 does. Regardless of if you get the Note 8 or XZ Premium, you will need an amp/DAC for sure for best results with the 99 Cs. (And you'll need an adapter cable like this as well to connect phone to Red.)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions, but yeah, XZ Premium is the best phone IMO. It too has the 835 processor and 4 GBs of RAM, and will be less likely to lag based on my past experiences with Sony vs. Samsung.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #863 of 1,526
Samsung is better now than they were before, though I'm not yet ready to suggest to anyone to buy one. lol They seem to have LITTLE regard for sound quality, which is a MAJOR issue for me. lol I had the S7 and its sound quality was AWFUL George. lol The speakers were terrible..........bass sounded like somebody shooting off a laser gun. The headphone quality was just ok b/c they don't use very good DACs or if they do they don't have very good supporting tech for the DAC, which is more important than most people know. Plus even though the 3.5mm headphone jack (which is gone now lol) was fine, the MicroUSB port had some issue where if I used it (with amp/DAC device) for music, every 3-5 min the sound would skip. I found out later it was due to a bug in the MicroUSB port driver. I don't even know if they've fixed it as of yet. That's a BIG mistake to me, and it shows their utter disregard for sound quality. Then you have the oversaturated screen and camera pics, the overly and unnecessarily complicated Settings menu and UI (though the menu is better than before), the TouchWiz LAG (despite having 4 GBs or RAM), which my HTC 10 and old Sony Xperia X Performance DIDN'T have, and yeah............I dunno. lol I'd read reviews before buying anything my friend. lol

Honestly, if I were you, I'd rather get the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. (More pics/info here.) It only came out 2 months ago, has a great camera and screen is 4K WITH HDR (better blacks/contrast), waterproof, stereo front-facing speakers w/ headphone jack, excellent call quality, a 3230 mAh battery and Phone Arena gave it an "Excellent" battery rating, etc. With headphone audio, I'd still recommend an amp/DAC like the very highly-rated AudioQuest DragonFly Red ($198 in the U.S.) as even though it sounds better than Samsung's phones do, it still isn't AS good as the V20/V30 or HTC 10 does. Regardless of if you get the Note 8 or XZ Premium, you will need an amp/DAC for sure for best results with the 99 Cs. (And you'll need an adapter cable like this as well to connect phone to Red.)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions, but yeah, XZ Premium is the best phone IMO. It too has the 835 processor and 4 GBs of RAM, and will be less likely to lag based on my past experiences with Sony vs. Samsung.
XZ premium has only 5.5 Inch of display, my starting display size is 6.4 and above, anything smaller means that I write worse than a monkey hitting a keyboard, literally can't touch the keys well with smaller screens.

Oh well, I didn't plan to use the audio out of any phone, only USB out to a USB compabile DAC/AMP, but if Samsung has any problems with the audio driver, that is really bad.

I didn't know TouchWiz has lag, judging from the HUGE specs, it shouldn't... The only other phone I see as a viable option right now is Xiaomi Mi Max 2, which is, in all honesty, a mid end phone that's somehow overpriced. It costs around 350$ in Romania, so not the best option... I'll keep looking for a dream big phone.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #864 of 1,526
XZ premium has only 5.5 Inch of display, my starting display size is 6.4 and above, anything smaller means that I write worse than a monkey hitting a keyboard, literally can't touch the keys well with smaller screens.

Oh well, I didn't plan to use the audio out of any phone, only USB out to a USB compabile DAC/AMP, but if Samsung has any problems with the audio driver, that is really bad.

I didn't know TouchWiz has lag, judging from the HUGE specs, it shouldn't... The only other phone I see as a viable option right now is Xiaomi Mi Max 2, which is, in all honesty, a mid end phone that's somehow overpriced. It costs around 350$ in Romania, so not the best option... I'll keep looking for a dream big phone.

ROFL 6.4"?!! Wow. Well, with the Note 8 being 18:9, that won't actually be AS big as you might think. The Note 8 is actually 6.3" for the screen, so close to your minimum.

I mean, that was the S7. I'm guessing they PROBABLY fixed it for the S8 and Note 8, but still, if you research it online, you'll see that Samsung isn't exactly known for their great sound OR call quality. lol My S7's call quality was f'ing garbage, even WITH HD Voice (which is a part of VoLTE). MAYBE the S8 or upcoming Note 8 are better, but I have little faith in Samsung there. Just because a DAC can process Hi-Res DOESN'T mean it's automatically a great DAC. The S7 had that capability, but it didn't amount to crap. lol

Ok that's good that you didn't plan to.

Yeah, exactly George.......it SHOULDN'T lag, yet my parents' Sony Xperia Z1s (released January 2014) which only has 2 GBs of RAM was in most cases MUCH less laggy than my 4GBs of RAM S7 was. And HTC 10 and Xperia X Performance (which I had last year) lag even less since they're newer and also don't have TouchWiz.

Ok keep looking. But also keep in mind, in most phone Settings menu, there is an option usually under "Accessibility" that lets you ENLARGE the font and icons on your phone screen. This might help with your keyboard typing issue, and might make the XZ Premium a stronger contender to you. Just sayin'. lol

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #865 of 1,526
ROFL 6.4"?!! Wow. Well, with the Note 8 being 18:9, that won't actually be AS big as you might think. The Note 8 is actually 6.3" for the screen, so close to your minimum.

I mean, that was the S7. I'm guessing they PROBABLY fixed it for the S8 and Note 8, but still, if you research it online, you'll see that Samsung isn't exactly known for their great sound OR call quality. lol My S7's call quality was f'ing garbage, even WITH HD Voice (which is a part of VoLTE). MAYBE the S8 or upcoming Note 8 are better, but I have little faith in Samsung there. Just because a DAC can process Hi-Res DOESN'T mean it's automatically a great DAC. The S7 had that capability, but it didn't amount to crap. lol

Ok that's good that you didn't plan to.

Yeah, exactly George.......it SHOULDN'T lag, yet my parents' Sony Xperia Z1s (released January 2014) which only has 2 GBs of RAM was in most cases MUCH less laggy than my 4GBs of RAM S7 was. And HTC 10 and Xperia X Performance (which I had last year) lag even less since they're newer and also don't have TouchWiz.

Ok keep looking. But also keep in mind, in most phone Settings menu, there is an option usually under "Accessibility" that lets you ENLARGE the font and icons on your phone screen. This might help with your keyboard typing issue, and might make the XZ Premium a stronger contender to you. Just sayin'. lol

My fingers are big, hard to type with a small screen, this is why I need a large screened phone

Also, I'm watching tons of videos with my phone, at times I think I should get a tablet and a phone, but I can't find a single tablet with 16:9 aspect ratio, all tablets have huge black bars when watching movies...

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #866 of 1,526
My fingers are big, hard to type with a small screen, this is why I need a large screened phone

Also, I'm watching tons of videos with my phone, at times I think I should get a tablet and a phone, but I can't find a single tablet with 16:9 aspect ratio, all tablets have huge black bars when watching movies...

Yeah I kinda figured based on what u said. lol But if you make the font/icon sizes bigger, it MIGHT help and limit you less on what phones you can buy.

Yeah that's true. Well, the XZ Premium has the 4K + HDR screen, so that's a big plus too. I'd research it some more I guess.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #867 of 1,526
yeah because of the weird aspect ratio you're not getting as much screen real estate as you think. I would definitely go with the sony XZp you wont be disappointed you can always turn it back. That or get the htc11. 2017 is pretty insane for competition though with lv30 and pixel xl 2 its about to be heated. Rockstar hit the nail in the head for all the flaws of samsung. I think they might have fixed the color accuracy on the s8 and note 8 though and display is one thing samsung spends a lot of money on.

But the number one reason i can't stand samsung is simply put the software. Terrible UI and like rockstar said way too clunky and redudant. I was checking out my sisters s8 and i feel like at some point my sony X was faster with a 650 lol.

also rockstar there is a reason why Sony is the first to have 8.0. they both teamed up on the software. Sony is realizing to be the best in this age and time you need to have great software. And there is nothing that proves this more than the camera. Sony has the best sensors but google takes better pictures still. Thats because google has insane algorithms for their camera. Im wondering if google shared some of the camera software in return.

Also good news: Sony XZ1 will have 50 percent louder spakers as well as a more powerful/better dac? If this is true it seems Sony is trying to fix all the issues wrong with its phones one by one. Next year it will be the design and eventually they will get 4k JDI oled.

Samsung wont be getting 4k amoled until 2019 so Sony has Two years to get its crap together before samsung kills them. They are fixing all these issues at a really slow pace though it took forever. Sad that the z3 lineup was absolutely the best phone sony has made. And ever since it has been lackluster.

EDit: rockstar@ sony is working on getting the xz1 compact certified for tmobile with VOLTE. So they are definitely trying to make changes on by one.

As much as i crap talk LG im actually impressed with the lgv30 and its new audio features. But one the major flaws with LG just like samsung, is its bad software.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #868 of 1,526
yeah because of the weird aspect ratio you're not getting as much screen real estate as you think. I would definitely go with the sony XZp you wont be disappointed you can always turn it back. That or get the htc11. 2017 is pretty insane for competition though with lv30 and pixel xl 2 its about to be heated. Rockstar hit the nail in the head for all the flaws of samsung. I think they might have fixed the color accuracy on the s8 and note 8 though and display is one thing samsung spends a lot of money on.

But the number one reason i can't stand samsung is simply put the software. Terrible UI and like rockstar said way too clunky and redudant. I was checking out my sisters s8 and i feel like at some point my sony X was faster with a 650 lol.

also rockstar there is a reason why Sony is the first to have 8.0. they both teamed up on the software. Sony is realizing to be the best in this age and time you need to have great software. And there is nothing that proves this more than the camera. Sony has the best sensors but google takes better pictures still. Thats because google has insane algorithms for their camera. Im wondering if google shared some of the camera software in return.

Also good news: Sony XZ1 will have 50 percent louder spakers as well as a more powerful/better dac? If this is true it seems Sony is trying to fix all the issues wrong with its phones one by one. Next year it will be the design and eventually they will get 4k JDI oled.

Samsung wont be getting 4k amoled until 2019 so Sony has Two years to get its **** together before samsung kills them. They are fixing all these issues at a really slow pace though it took forever. Sad that the z3 lineup was absolutely the best phone sony has made. And ever since it has been lackluster.

I just want a 6.4+ display... if nothing else comes by 15 , I'll just buy meh one of them note8 phones, I must change my phone and really can't see anything better. The phone I thought I'll swap to, Mi Max 2 is really awful in its specs, and I mean AWFUL, they downgraded both the CPU and the GPU. Upgraded the battery, yes, so you have days of battery now, but at what cost, if I can't do anything with it...

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #869 of 1,526
yeah i hate to admit this. but LGv30 is actually better than sony right now. One of the things about the lv20 was its absoltuely hideous design (idk why people think it looks nice) but the v30 kind of pulled all stops there. Surpassed the htc11 too given it actually has a headphone jack.

Im only waiting for the pixel 2 which im sure will kill everything else with superior software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back