Sony historians: E472 in gunmetal metallic?
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chengdude

Head-Fier
Curious if any Sony guru and/or superfan knows which version of the E472 I have. Perhaps a home market-only edition?

All the photos that come up with a Google search show the E472 in a black plastic with grey tip at the bottom port.

As in the title, mine are finished in a gunmetal metallic (smoky chrome?) body with a gold metallic tip at the bottom port. Shiny. The same metallic gold for the bar on the port behind the driver. The angled mounting/strain relief for the cable is plain black.

They're marked MDR-E472 and Japan at the splitter for the asymmetrical cable and do not have the inline Discman remote or special jack; just a gold metal-plated L plug. They are packaged in the Sony wind-up case from the era; mine is black with grey insert tray.

They sound wonderful.

Many thanks for any and all thoughts!

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
I've just picked up one as you describe, they do indeed sound wonderful. Wondered what the frequency response is compared to the 484?
I also have the 444, which is also very good, so I figured that the 472 would be excellent. And the 557 which also has decent bass, but not as much mid-bass.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Haha, you must be the buyer on Shpock in the UK; I recently decided to sell mine and after some Google mining, was super surprised to find another set had recently sold. Congratulations; you got a really nice set...and with retail packaging! Previously, the only other reference to the metallic-finish E472 I had found was a passing mention (never saw but heard about) on a Chinese-language discussion board.

I borrowed the packaging photos (thanks!) strictly for reference in my own sale since these are so unusual there was even a question if they're a DIY FrankenSony with swapped cables or somesuch.

I don't think I'd be able to find too great a difference beyond a certain point among these vintage "better" Sonys. The biggest issue for me with the big 16mm drivers is getting a good fit; I have to kind of uncomfortably squish them in there to get the full range of sound...they're rather thin-sounding otherwise.

Anyway, enjoy them...that was a great buy!

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 4
I've just picked up one as you describe, they do indeed sound wonderful. Wondered what the frequency response is compared to the 484?
I also have the 444, which is also very good, so I figured that the 472 would be excellent. And the 557 which also has decent bass, but not as much mid-bass.
Do you mind sold it to me as i want to finish my e472 collection,thanks.
Best regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back