Sony Hi-MD 1GB Minidisc
Jan 10, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #91 of 111
I have been using MD recorders since the MZ-R30 and they all still work well.

I also have a NJB3 which I mainly use for recording but I do NOT use it as my primary recorder for anything critical. For that I use either my MZ-R900 or MZ-B100. Those units are extremely reliable. The NJB3 does not have the necessary recording functions/options or reliability. The NJB3 does make it easier for me to convert MD analog to digital.

I look forward to the large capacity Hi-MDs as well as the upload capability.

And from what I have read of the audio testing of the Atrac3plus, I look forward to a better codec than WMA and MP3. I was astonished to see that 64Kbps Atrac3plus is equal to or better than 128Kbps CBR MP3.

Jan 11, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #93 of 111
Here are a few issues concerning the NJB3:

1) Loss of battery power is disastrous on the NJB3. MD recordings can be recovered. Lost NJB3 recordings cannot.

2) The "vu meter" on the NJB3 is slow and not reliable. You can have clipping and not see it.

3) There appears to be an issue with some AGC action on audio peaks (to avoid clipping).

4) Until the newest release, you could lose audio when you opted to start a new "track" while recording.

5) No true mic pre-amp. The NJB3 uses digital gain to raise the input level.

6) The MIC-IN setting produces a high frequency rolloff.

7) Recording time of less than 3 hours with one battery.

8) Batteries are expensive.

This is not an issue compared to MDs, but there is a three hour WAV recording limit.

Jan 12, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #94 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by IpaqMan
Here are a few issues concerning the NJB3:

1) Loss of battery power is disastrous on the NJB3. MD recordings can be recovered. Lost NJB3 recordings cannot.

2) The "vu meter" on the NJB3 is slow and not reliable. You can have clipping and not see it.

3) There appears to be an issue with some AGC action on audio peaks (to avoid clipping).

4) Until the newest release, you could lose audio when you opted to start a new "track" while recording.

5) No true mic pre-amp. The NJB3 uses digital gain to raise the input level.

6) The MIC-IN setting produces a high frequency rolloff.

7) Recording time of less than 3 hours with one battery.

8) Batteries are expensive.

This is not an issue compared to MDs, but there is a three hour WAV recording limit.

Who's uses a mic in to record? Definitely not me. As for the other issues, well, i'll find out soon enough, i just rec'd my njb3 today.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #95 of 111
If you do not use the mic-in and you are right that you should not, you are now adding the cost of a decent mic pre-amp ($200 plus) to the cost of the NJB3 plus some sort of extra power supply. We are talking a lot of money.

A Sony Hi-MD recorder plus some extra AAs is slightly more than $250 list price and is a lot more portable and reliable (DC power, connections, and media issues).

One more important NJB3 issue:

I checked my NJB3 while WAV recording and the hard drive is being written to quite frequently (several times per minute). This means that one should be careful about the NJB3 being bumped (head crash). Notebook drives are not as robust as 1.8 inch drives (used in Ipod and IHP) and not even in the same ballpark as magneto-optical drives (MD and Hi-MD).

I do like my NJB3, but I mainly use it for home recording where I leave the NJB3 stationary and hooked up to AC power. It is how I get my MDs into MP3/WAV format for uploading. With the new Hi-MD, I won't need the NJB3 for that anymore.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #96 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by Helloween
Who's uses a mic in to record? Definitely not me. As for the other issues, well, i'll find out soon enough, i just rec'd my njb3 today.

...You!!
biggrin.gif

I managed to sway everyone at the origonal thread. It seems like no one was able to point out any holes in my argument..

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #97 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by IpaqMan
If you do not use the mic-in and you are right that you should not, you are now adding the cost of a decent mic pre-amp ($200 plus) to the cost of the NJB3 plus some sort of extra power supply. We are talking a lot of money.

A Sony Hi-MD recorder plus some extra AAs is slightly more than $250 list price and is a lot more portable and reliable (DC power, connections, and media issues).

One more important NJB3 issue:

I checked my NJB3 while WAV recording and the hard drive is being written to quite frequently (several times per minute). This means that one should be careful about the NJB3 being bumped (head crash). Notebook drives are not as robust as 1.8 inch drives (used in Ipod and IHP) and not even in the same ballpark as magneto-optical drives (MD and Hi-MD).

I do like my NJB3, but I mainly use it for home recording where I leave the NJB3 stationary and hooked up to AC power. It is how I get my MDs into MP3/WAV format for uploading. With the new Hi-MD, I won't need the NJB3 for that anymore.

I would sell it and get a deck with TOS link out and a sound card with digital in. Analog transfer *sucks*.

Jan 13, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #99 of 111
Seems to be so! Check out the FAQ at minidisc.org for all the details.

I am waiting for a portable recorder with a digital in, a line in, a digital out and a line out. When this happens I will be all over this format. It will give me everything I need. I am also planning on buying a new deck that will support this. HD portbables don't impress me with their unstable hard drives and awful battery life. Flash players are too pricey though the size is nice.

I've also enjoyed removable media. The analogue recording will be wonderful and the fact that each 1 gig disc can store files with FAT file system...heh, wicked! Very stoked very very stoked.

My MZ-S1 has served me well, though it may be given up for adoption. My wife though...being the adopter.

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #103 of 111
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
It's quite simple Watchdog. Some people ask me to look at things to see what I think about them. Others ask me to work on things. In either case I'm either asked or contracted not to divulge certain information... But there's obviously nothing stopping me from hinting.

Okay, then, Bangraman: Can you make a little "prediction?" Will decks and car units be introduced down the road?

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #105 of 111
I saw Sony's PSP player coming out this year (using 1.8gb optical discs) and it plays MP3, AAC, and ATRAC... not to mention it plays games and video. i wonder if HiMD will have any advantage over it (aside from Mic Recording, battery life)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back