Sony Headphones...which is the best
Aug 19, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 31
You said DJ headphones???

Run...don't walk....and pick up a set of AKG K81DJ

Those are one of the best headphones under $80 of ANY brand.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #17 of 31
I currently use an 8+ year old pair of MDR-V250 headphones...

recently someone I know picked up a new pair.. testing both they sound completely different.. the new pair are very nasly, lots of harsh midrange, little bass, and muffled treble..

my 8+ year old pair have a MUCH smoother overall sound, and tons more bass.. the treble is still somewhat muffled though hehe.. unsure if this is just a case of wear-in or if the model has changed over the years..

either way if you have a budget of 100 bucks.. I'd look at other pairs definately...

another thing thats kind of bad is the volume control has issues.. I suspect its just old age (worn parts) but the volume is slightly louder out of the right phone than the left.. wiggling the volume control alters the percentage of volume difference in each ear.. its wonky.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #18 of 31
The best Sony headphones = V150s.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That is if you like to listen to mud.

If you like to listen to music then I would go SA1k or SA3k. I love my SA-3000s.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 31
Seriously, out of your original choices, I'd say "None of the above." At even their lowest advertised Web prices you'd still be paying too much money for too little sound quality -- and at their list prices (which you'd get if you buy locally), well, go figure...

Aug 19, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #21 of 31
get a senn px-100DJ . it is a great starter can and only 49 bucks.

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #22 of 31
If you absolutely have to have closed then I also suggest the AKG K81DJ. If you can go open and to $100, I'd suggest what so many others do: Alessandro MS1!
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #23 of 31
thankyou to all who have posted their suggestions.

I have decided to go with the AKG K81DJ over the sony mdr-v6 ....

Can someone tell me the specific definition of a "closed" headphones compared to a dj...

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzt88
Can someone tell me the specific definition of a "closed" headphones compared to a dj...

DJ headphones *are* closed headphones, but they usually have features meant for dj's, for example, they can be worn with one earpiece off the ear, and are designed for rough use, and styled a certain way

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 31
I'm a Sony lover man, and honestly, from that list, except for the V700DJ, the rest is just crap, get the V6, MDR-7506 or MDR7509, or the relatively new MDR-CD900ST, at thecheapest posible price, otherwise you are wasting your money....look for another brand...

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #26 of 31
"Closed" is not the important definition that discriminates between the Sony MDR-V6 and the AKG-K81DJ. The K81DJ is Supra-aural; the Sony is Circumaural. That means the K81DJ sits on top of your ears. As a matter of fact, the K81DJ - despite its glowing reputation - has a pretty good clamping force. The clamping force is needed to squish the cans against your ear so as to get the best pressure seal - for good bass. The force on one's ears is enough that a few people (admittedly, very few) have given up on the phones and chosen something else.

The Sony's Circumaural design is the classic headphone design that most are familiar with - ear pieces that completely encircle and enclose the ears. The clamping force may still be a lot, but the pressure is against your jaws and the side of your head, not on your ears. That said, the Beyer DT250 velour cushion upgrade is a must. B&H Photo even sells them as standard accessories for the Sony MDR-V6/7506 in their Professional Audio section.

The Sony V6 is truly one of the most classic headphones ever made. It may have been produced as long or longer than any other major phone on the market today. It is still the first choice in many recording and sound studios.

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #27 of 31
But most importantly, DJ versions do have higher headband clamping force. This is typically the method used to cancel external noise, i.e. noise isolation, not just better bass, so DJs can better tinkle with their mixers/turntables/gadgets etc...

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 31
Correct me if I'm wrong:
Sony headphones are generally brighter than most other manufacturers.

Or could this be b/c Sony for the most part regarding headphones makes DJ/Monitoring cans (well, the recognizable good ones, anyway).

Sorry to hi-jack, but I was just wondering about people's obsession in Sony Cans.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinedo
Sorry to hi-jack, but I was just wondering about people's obsession in Sony Cans.

Because they never listen high-end phones nor at least decent phones like KSC-75.

Plus: I must admit designs of those crap sony ones are quite good. But well, design is very small part of what is mean to be headphone IMO. (But very few around me agree
frown.gif
)

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

... Sony headphones are generally brighter than most other manufacturers....

(The general "popular" model are,) Muddier and mid-bass heavy maybe, unless you are refering to SAX000 series, 010, R10 which I'm afraid I'm not qualified (experienced) to input, though have read many favourable reviews of.

Quote:

... Or could this be b/c Sony for the most part regarding headphones makes DJ/Monitoring cans (well, the recognizable good ones, anyway).

(Sony) Have a much larger (better?) marketing arm than most. Subsequently, its products are far better known than Omega 2, Orpheous, L3000 or K1000. On the otherhand how many people in the general public has heard of R10 or Qualia 010? Are Sony DJ/Monitoring headphones better, yet I see lots of AKGs in studios, radio stations?

Quote:

... people's obsession in Sony Cans.

Sony products are more accessible than its competitors. No doubt there are good worthy candidates, but it is the hype that sells.

But then it isn't always a bad thing. If it wasn't for the FOTM hype that flooded this forum in late 2005, some of us here won't be wearing 340g worth of wood and leather from Japan right now!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back