Sony HD-5...should I Get It??????
Aug 19, 2005 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

calvinhobs

100+ Head-Fier
I might go get one today...the other options I have are the Zen Sleek, Iriver H10, or the Iaudio X5.

I'm leaning against the X5 due to it's operational toggle switch controls...which I hear can be a pain after a while and are poorly placed on the player.

The only thing I worry about the sony is the cracking and the ACTRAC software...but I hear it still does a good job PLUS I can still convert and use LAME... SO...

Why should, or shouldn't I, get this player???

Aug 19, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 34
SonicStage = bad news
Sony = awful product support

Looks pretty, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. Been burned already by past experences w/ Sony Minidisc, PDA, and flash based network walkman. Wouldn't advise anyone to go down that road again.

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
SonicStage = bad news
Sony = awful product support

Looks pretty, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. Been burned already by past experences w/ Sony Minidisc, PDA, and flash based network walkman. Wouldn't advise anyone to go down that road again.

Parijizzle mentioned an alternative to sonicstage in his e-mail...I checked it out and it looked promising. PLUS, c-net listed it as an editors choice...they said it's one of the best sounding players they've ever heard. It's small, looks pretty good, I don't mind that it doesn't have a color screen or fm radio...I don't need the bells and whistles. Battery life is supposed to be amazing as well...over 22 hrs on MP3s and up to 40 hrs using sonic stage...pretty dang impressive. I'm most impressed by this player because of it's supposed amazing sound quality and simple controls/interface.

Aug 19, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 34
Yes

Oh, you could get the HD5 or.....

SS 3: new line of flash players
SS 3.1: HD5
SS 3.2 Sony bean thing

So SS 3.3 or SS 4 will come with a new player, prob HD player. What 3 new flash player releases in a row? I don't think so

Whats my point? Sony have brought out a new HD player every six months now. Next one is due Nov/Dec

Aug 19, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Yes

Oh, you could get the HD5 or.....

SS 3: new line of flash players
SS 3.1: HD5
SS 3.2 Sony bean thing

So SS 3.3 or SS 4 will come with a new player, prob HD player. What 3 new flash player releases in a row? I don't think so

Whats my point? Sony have brought out a new HD player every six months now. Next one is due Nov/Dec

Not sure what your point was, actually. I was wondering why I should or shouldn't get the HD-5. I just want to know about this specific player. What's up with the cracking button issue?

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 34
It's funny that when we want to agree with CNET we do, yet when they praise a product like the Bose or give the MDR-V700DJ a good rating, we all feel the need to trash them. My take on CNET is that they're consumer reporters, producing reviews for consumers. That makes their reviews far more consistent in my view.

The HD5, while hardly incapable is possibly the worst sounding player in terms of capability I have heard recently. It's like listening to a bad tube amp when compared with a good solid stage. Much euphonics, reduced ability.

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 34
I've had my HD5 for 3 weeks now. The first two I was in bliss with the sound quality, battery life, etc - then the thing stopped working. I was sure it was a disk crash, but Sony had me take out and reinsert the battery, which solved everything. I'm back to using the thing constantly and so glad I didn't have to go looking for another player.

A recommended purchase is the Sennheiser PX100 headphones (around $50). They really sound excellent with the HD5 - very vivid yet neutral sounding. Of course I'm listening to them now - the Chopin Ballades (Zimmerman). It's going on 4 days since I've charged the battery.

People can rave about the IPOD all they want, but if I can get a player with better sound quality and battery life - I'll take it any day. I don't care about nifty navigation. Navigation on the HD5 is excellent anyway.

Aug 19, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The HD5 is possibly the worst sounding player in terms of capability I have heard recently. It's like listening to a bad tube amp when compared with a good solid stage. Much euphonics, reduced ability.

Bangra, you might try other phones with your HD5. My opinion of the sound is like a GOOD tube amp. Enough euphonics to take away the digital glare and make for an analog sound, but with the firmness of solid state in the bass region.

They sound excellent with my Sennheiser PT100's. If you have a pair laying around give them a try without the equalizer setting on. Some of the EQ settings DO have excessive euphonics, though I still use them on certain types of music.

Aug 19, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 34
The Sony didn't sound as good as my iAudio flash player, 2 of my minidisc players(neither had the HD amp) or my RCA RD2675. The RCA with the more realistic high and low end reproduction and better EQ forced me to sell the Sony. Not to mention much better screen, navigation, on unit playlisting, ID3tag and Folder browsing, and total freedom from DRM. It's so nice to retag and MP3gain straight on the unit and drag and drop anything from anywhere!

I'd recommend skipping on the Sony. There are more capable, less restricted, better sounding players out now and with the new hard drives and chips coming out now any gapless or battery life differences will be greatly diminished.

Not to mention cracking buttons, freezing issues, scratching screens, etc. The decreasing build quality is a whole different story.

Aug 20, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 34
Thanks for the replies everyone...I've decided against this player. For numerous reasons. The button cracking issue probably being the biggest...plus the un-neutral sound. My top 2 choiced are now the X5 or the new Zen Sleek.

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
..The HD5, while hardly incapable is possibly the worst sounding player in terms of capability...

It seems impossible, but this is possibly from the department of redundancy department
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back