Sony HD-3 or Sony HD-5
Jul 3, 2005 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sammywammy23

New Head-Fier
Hello i'm new (first time poster) and i need some help, i'm about to buy a HD mp3 player and I'm looking at the HD-3 and the HD-5. I'm wondering which one is a better buy? (please give reasons)

Thank you in advance!

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 20
HD3 is made in Japan while the HD5 is the first Malaysian Sony flagship.
So, with the HD5, we've seen reports of easily scratched screens, the flimsy usb door, cracked buttons, and units occasionally freezing up.

My HD3 has never frozen once. It been dropped twice and the metal snap on the flap of the HD1 case has hit the screen half a dozen times(It's hard to hold the flap open while stretching out the elastic sides of the case). I haven't got a single mark anywhere on the player body or screen.

The HD3 comes in Blue, Pink, Red, Silver, and Black. There are 3 different screen colors Rose with the pink, Blue(Red, Black, and Blue), and Gray(with silver). The Hd5 has only one screen color and only three unit colors.

The HD5 has 3 menus while the HD3 has only one.

The reviews say that the HD5 takes up to 7 or 8 seconds to boot up. The HD3 takes 3 seconds.

Still no on the fly playlists or fixing of real issues compared to HD3. Examples like; slightly bigger screen yet now playing screen shows no more info, no deleting songs on the unit, Eq not fixed yet, etc.

They did give it 6 or 7 hours more real use battery life, more bookmarks, a rotating screen, initials search(why?). These are nice but most are not really useful at all. I want a dock, improved sound quality, real playlisting, loseless codec capable etc.

The HD3 is under $200 shipped on ebay and $200 at Sony. If you really want a Sony, either get the HD3 or wait for the next version which will probably have an FM radio(like their new flash players) and a better screen. Hopefully they wont rush(like the HD2 and HD5) and will fix some of the deficiencies that both players have.

There you go $50-$100 cheaper(depending where) a little better built and easier to use it is the better buy. If you are left handed you may give the HD5 a real improvement there since the HD3 is really only made for right handed people.

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71
The HD3 is under $200 shipped on ebay and $200 at Sony. If you really want a Sony, either get the HD3 or wait for the next version which will probably have an FM radio(like their new flash players) and a better screen. Hopefully they wont rush(like the HD2 and HD5) and will fix some of the deficiencies that both players have.

When do you think the new versions might be unveiled/released?

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 20
i was in your same predicament just a few weeks ago. i chose the hd5. why not have the latest and greatest??

ive had mine for 3 weeks now, use it all the time- dropped it once. still works fine. never froze on me. the screen is fine, just take care of it, get a case! it only went dumb on me one time- but a "sonic (ss) crash" was to blame. hd5 is smaller, has better battery life, has a bigger screen, and will most likely have more aftermarket support.

as far as looks go- its a toss up. they both look nice, though i like the vertical orientation on the hd5 a bit more.

the hd3 has one definete thing going for it right now: PRICE. so if your short on cash go for it. then again, you may as well go for the cheap vaio pockets that hold twice as much AND have a color screen. but its a lot bigger. AHH im glad i made up my mind finally!

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 20
EpicZero, as far as in the US both HD3(Jan.) and HD5(June) so far this year.

Someone correct me, I think all four versions were released in about the last twelve months or so.

With the button issues they may just put out a replacement before the year is out(November maybe). I wouldn't be surprised! They may just improve the buttons and other little things. Then again they may change it somewhat so it looks different;to distance themselves from the bad rep the HD5 may be getting because of the buttons.

IMO, they are definitely cutting costs to be more competitive and keep profit margins. I really don't like the direction they are going. I was hoping to eventually replace my(by then) old HD3 with another Sony and use the remotes I have etc. But I may have to look elsewhere.

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 20
I love my HD3 a lot.

I actually think it just depends on which one you think looks better.

HD3.jpg

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 20

Much more nicer looking then that kid-looking toy HD5.

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 20
My buttons still work like new; sturdy enough for me and I take my HD3 everywhere.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 20
unlike most of the people who replied here and might have based their opinions on hearsay or gut feelings, i actually have used the hd3 before and now the hd5.
wink.gif

first off, the BIG difference and advantage to me is the built-in power jack and usb port on the hd5. believe me, the filmsy cover on the hd5 beats carrying a dock around anytime. and the cover ain't that filmsy either. i would call it 'flexible' and i think one would need to pull real hard for it to come off. transferring files and charging the unit is much easier than having the dock.

secondly, the hd5 has a much more readable and larger screen than the hd3.

thirdly, the hold button on the hd5 is much bigger than the hd3 and therefore easier to switch. its kind of ironic because the hd3's buttons get pressed easily when in the pocket while the hd5 doesn't.

the hd5 also has longer playback time and it has the removable battery. i also remember that the hd3 does not have the firmware upgrade option but the hd5 has that option. so i think the hd3's firmware might not be user-upgradable. the hd also can be used in an upright position, which makes it easier to put in pockets. the hd3 is a horizontal unit and those who are using headphones with straight plugs might have problems putting their hd3 inside their pockets.

however, the hd3 does have much better buttons. the navigation on the hd5 is made out of metal, vs the plastic ones on the hd5. there is also the infamous cracks on the hd5 buttons. but the cracks do not affect the operation of the unit. the hd3 also has more colors to choose from.
biggrin.gif

dsc002446qi.jpg

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 20
thank you everyone for your replys! just one quick question:
I live in europe but I have a friend who lives in america, so i'm thinking of ordering online and getting it sent to his address, will I have any problems with software, useability etc????????????
does anyone have any reliable sites to buy off??????

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sammywammy23
thank you everyone for your replys! just one quick question:
I live in europe but I have a friend who lives in america, so i'm thinking of ordering online and getting it sent to his address, will I have any problems with software, useability etc????????????
does anyone have any reliable sites to buy off??????

overseas models doesnt really matter, its just the power adaptor's plugs are different.

i also had a HD3 before and now a HD5, both black. its pretty much choosing between style(HD3) or usability(HD5). i must say the HD3 looks tons better, tho the HD5 in real life doesnt look too much like a gameboy, also smaller than HD3.

the HD5 is much easier to use, the buttons can be operated even in a shirt pocket if u remember their locations...and battery is better too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back