Sony HAP-Z1ES. New High-Res Streamer/Music Server from Sony
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #91 of 111
Is the Haps turned on? Does it have a network connection?

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #93 of 111
I got it working. Make sure SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled in Windows Features. Just type Windows Features in the search bar to find the settings.

Thank you for posting this! After a few months of my S1 being dead in the water and several pointless calls to Sony customer support who know zero about this line of products I checked my Win10 settings and voila,6080 files in que uploading now!

May 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #95 of 111
Does anyone know why it is necessary to use an usb hub between an external dac and the Haps? When I configure it this way, the volume is very low. With my old dac, I connected it directly from the Haps usb port to the external dac port and volume was just fine. I bought a new dac and after reading this thread I decided something might have changed so followed the instructions to use a usb hub.
Using the rca direct out jacks volume directly to the headphone amp the volume is normal.

May 23, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #96 of 111
Does anyone know why it is necessary to use an usb hub between an external dac and the Haps? When I configure it this way, the volume is very low. With my old dac, I connected it directly from the Haps usb port to the external dac port and volume was just fine. I bought a new dac and after reading this thread I decided something might have changed so followed the instructions to use a usb hub.
Using the rca direct out jacks volume directly to the headphone amp the volume is normal.

if you need to connect more than one usb devices concurrently then use a usb hub. why the volume was low, in your case, i don't know because i don't have a dac yet.

btw, have you try other usb hub, or other ports of your existing hub?

May 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #97 of 111
Thank you for your reply. I have since tried using the usb port without a hub and the results are the same. A low volume on the headphone amp. I will try connecting it to a usb input on the computer and also to the usb input on an external amp. If it is low on those I guess it will have to go back to Sony for warranty repair or put it up for sale. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #98 of 111
Quick question guys. I want to use this Player with a set of headphones. Can I connect a set of cans using the balanced output in the back of the player?
I don’t have the Z1ES yet but I managed to read manual a couple of times and for the life of me I can’t figure out if the unit has its own amplifier built in. The manual gives a few details about using an external amplifier but nothing more than that. I don’t plan on using the player with floor speakers.
Thanks for your time

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #99 of 111
Directly, no. The output on the back does not have volume control, and if you look closely the connectors are male 3 pin XLR. Balanced headphones cables are usually terminated with 4 pin male XLR or 2x3 pin male XLR. So you would need an adapter, but in any case do not do that.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #100 of 111
Ok, I know I might sound silly but this is my first encounter in the desktop player world.

As I said I do not have the player yet, but I do have an HD800S that has an XLR4 termination.
I have an adapter that turns the XLR4 into 2x female XLR3’s
Physically the setup should fit the balanced output
Will that work? And thanks a bunch for your time

This is a link for the adapter I have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018ZN9IXI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1X3Y5SZMJOF19

Edit
Ok, now I see there is no volume knob. Duh

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #103 of 111
One more thing. I noticed the remote has volume buttons. What am I missing here?

It is to control the matching TA-1ES integrated amplifier.

The S1 has a built in amp. Im assuming the Z1 and S1 share the same remote,so the volume control is for that as well.

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #104 of 111
I just purchased an amp so no more questions about hooking up any headphones to this player.
Thank you guys for your time. Good to know I can rely on knowledgeable people if I need to.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #105 of 111
New firmware was released in October. It results in the Explore HAP button on the HAP Music Transfer program being much more responsive. It works quickly now on a Windows 10 system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back