Sony HAP-Z1ES. New High-Res Streamer/Music Server from Sony
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #76 of 111
Hi - I have a HAP-Z1ES arriving tomorrow - is it necessary to have an AC powered CD drive connected to the USB to rip CDs directly to the HAP?  I've seen users in other places say it worked powered only via the USB and others say one needs an AC powered drive.  Curious as to the current state of things.  Thanks!

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #77 of 111
No just use the USB port directly to the HAP, in my case I use the Apple super drive and it works without the need for an additional power supply.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #79 of 111
  No just use the USB port directly to the HAP, in my case I use the Apple super drive and it works without the need for an additional power supply.

+1. I bought three Apple Superdrives just in case they kill it in the future. :)

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #80 of 111
18033R is available for the both the HAP-S1 & Z1

Music Server functionality is the number one complaint I've read from people over the years that this device is missing. Now that it has it....

Same with External USB DAC functionality which is now here.... Includes DSD ability from external unit.

Seek ability while controlling from the HAP unit itself - this is something I've always wanted!

Queue and Playlists is also another complaint from the past - now fully supported...

Fades in and out when music is paused...

Probably the best update ever....

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #82 of 111
I ordered a HAP-Z1es on Saturday and will be able to pick it up next week. It will go in my living room system I use for 2 channel music and home theater. Now I will have all of my music in the living room with the big system and my office with the PC, dac, headphone amp and headphones. Music bliss in both places.

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #83 of 111
Don't know if anyone still checks this thread but figured I would give it a try. Had to replace my old dac. I have a PSAudio new wave dac and tried installing it to use with a Sony S1. Followed the directions here, network upgrades done, use a usb hub on Sony and usb to dac. All equipment was turned on, sound comes out of amplifier but volumn is very low. Using the same cable connections as I did using Sony out to rca to amp. Works fine this way normal volumn . Moved the dac to another system, pc out to dac to headphone amp, and the dac is working quite well normal volumn levels Could it be that the usb hub, a cheap one to be sure, is a usb hub? They are supposed to be backward compatible, but who knows. Thank you

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #84 of 111
My windows 10 computer with HAP Music Transfer loses connection with the HAP Z1ES with wired network and wireless. Other devices in the house connect fine with the network. It used to work, but not anymore. The Windows 10 January 3, 2018 security update seems to have caused this problem. I have not found a solution yet.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #85 of 111
I got it working. Make sure SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled in Windows Features. Just type Windows Features in the search bar to find the settings.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #86 of 111
Hey Guys, I've owned this unit since it came out and it's rippin. That said, I had an issue where I had to refresh my hard drive that the unit is mapped too. When I mapped it to the new hard drive and file structure, the music re-ripped to the unit showing it as duplicates. I had to reset the device, and create a new folder for the HAPZs to read, then re-populate the folder.

Is there a better way to do this? mildly annoying, but its all fixed now.

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #87 of 111
Can anyone help me? I've just purchased a Sony HAP Z1ES but I can't seem to explore the hard drive. I can transfer files to it without issue but cannot see what's on the hard drive through the Music Transfer app so as to be able to copy stuff off the Sony back onto my computer. The Explore button in the app doesn't seem to do anything.

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #88 of 111
In the notification area, assuming Windows, right click the HAP Music Transfer app and select explore HAP.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #89 of 111
Can anyone help me? I've just purchased a Sony HAP Z1ES but I can't seem to explore the hard drive. I can transfer files to it without issue but cannot see what's on the hard drive through the Music Transfer app so as to be able to copy stuff off the Sony back onto my computer. The Explore button in the app doesn't seem to do anything.
The explore button establishes a link to windows explorer. If you are using windows below version 10,it should open up windows explorer and the Haps drive will be listed on the left hand column with all the hard drives and and files. If Win 10 or Mac can not help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back