Sony HAP-S1's having Playback issues after latest Firmware 0016152R
Feb 5, 2016 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

McGilli

Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I just had this happen to me today - and so searching the net I came across a few other users also having the exact same issue - all since the last firmware was released. My device has been on the new firmware for about a month so far.

Today I turned on the unit to play some music - and it, as usual started up at the last song it was on when I turned it off last night.  It showed the song - but would not play. I backed out and tried different artists, and none of them would play at all. Just said paused.

Using my computer - I was able to connect to the HAP-S1 HDD as normal - and all seemed ok.

I tried the iOS app -and it would not connect though. It saw it on the network - but it would time out and not connect.

On the HAP-S1 I then under HDD Settings performed a rescan of the HDD and it said it could not complete as there were errors. So, I performed a factory reset which formats the drive and put it back to stock. After it was all complete - I went to Artists - to try playing the music that it always puts on by default from the Firmware (Santana etc). But Artists was completely empty.

On my computer - I logged into the HAP-S1, and all of the music (Santana etc)was there - on the HDD just fine. Again, a rescan on the device says there are errors.

On my computer I used the HAP program to transfer files - but even though it finds the device - it won't transfer saying the device is not ready.

You can check the HDD status on the device - and it reads it fine. Showing total size, and available space.

I then copied some music over manually from my computer to the player. On the screen of the player - the spinning circle shows - but it did not count up as it usually does to show that it is downloading all the album info etc etc for the new songs. 

I tried the  'secret' menu - turning off the device - holding Home and pressing Power and have it boot into that service menu and tried a reset from there with no luck - same results.

I thought - maybe if I replace the HDD that might work - but first I need to see if I am alone.

I am not. In the last month other users have been reporting the exact same issue at this thread on computer audiophile (and some have even replaced the HDD and it still gives the same error) - Plus - same error with any attached external drives, and also the Internet Radio no longer works saying there is a network error - even thou the network settings confirm an established connection to the internet.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/replacing-hard-drive-sony-hap-s1-anyone-23707/#post494424

I called Sony Canada. Which goes to India. I spent 10 minutes giving them all my personal info before they would even talk to me - then I finally give them the Model number - and they say sorry they are not able to help wit this device - there is another department that needs to deal with HAP-S1. So they gave me another number to call - but they were closed so I have to call tomorrow.

Anyone else experiencing this around here?

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 5

Current HAP-S1 firmware and software is the best from Sony so far... from an early HAP-S1 purchaser. Sounds like you will need the expertise of Sony to resolve your issue. No reports of anything similar on the sites I usually look to for Sony help.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 5

Current HAP-S1 firmware and software is the best from Sony so far... from an early HAP-S1 purchaser. Sounds like you will need the expertise of Sony to resolve your issue. No reports of anything similar on the sites I usually look to for Sony help.

Interesting. Yeah the last firmware installed for me ok - but after it was installed the jog wheel was sketchy sometimes - slow to move between artists etc. Other wise is had a few fixes I liked better than the previous firmware.

So, It took me 2 days, and 11 phone calls to 5 different #'s provided by all these different Sony 'support' departments - and funny thing is - none of them were able to help me. And by help I mean have me speak to someone who could set up a warranty repair.

I was basically about to give up and contact Consumerist or someone to see if they could help since no one at Sony seems to be able to support this device...

It was finally after all those calls with no result - I saw the online chat option and decided to try it. An online chat support agent  pointed me in the right direction - even though they had me contact a 'warranty repair' place in Canada who said they will not repair a HAP-S1 - and referred me to another local Camera shop - yes a camera shop - who would do the HAP warranty repair/replacement.

Took it into them and they said yeah not a problem. Weird - but just happy it's hopefully moving in the right direction.

Here's another thread on the issue with more details:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/#post494437

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 5

Interesting. Yeah the last firmware installed for me ok - but after it was installed the jog wheel was sketchy sometimes - slow to move between artists etc. Other wise is had a few fixes I liked better than the previous firmware.

So, It took me 2 days, and 11 phone calls to 5 different #'s provided by all these different Sony 'support' departments - and funny thing is - none of them were able to help me. And by help I mean have me speak to someone who could set up a warranty repair.

I was basically about to give up and contact Consumerist or someone to see if they could help since no one at Sony seems to be able to support this device...

It was finally after all those calls with no result - I saw the online chat option and decided to try it. An online chat support agent  pointed me in the right direction - even though they had me contact a 'warranty repair' place in Canada who said they will not repair a HAP-S1 - and referred me to another local Camera shop - yes a camera shop - who would do the HAP warranty repair/replacement.

Took it into them and they said yeah not a problem. Weird - but just happy it's hopefully moving in the right direction.

Here's another thread on the issue with more details:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/#post494437

I have been a big Sony fan for years but since they started reorganizing and shut down their retail locations in Canada I have been leary of buying any of their products. I dread the day any of my Sony audio kit needs repair. Might be able to do better on the camera side. Between previous challenges with my HAP-S1, the information in the second link you posted, and others on this forum having trouble getting simple things like Z7 ear pads Sony is going on my do not buy list. I foolishly thought they would support their hi-res customers in an effort to save their  business and jobs. Actually, in the last year their issues have helped me choose gear from Chord, Woo Audio, Sennheiser, Shure, and Apple. I hope they do the right thing for you and give you a new warranty exchange pronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back