Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Jan 25, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,666 of 1,768
Hi. Got mine this week for 65€ new. Such a bargain. To my ears they sound so naturally and neutral. Smooth as well. Really impressive.
Did not read the complete thread :wink:
Coming over from In Ear thread LZ A4.
If any, which changes - hopefully improvements - did you guys experience after burn in?
Read 150h at least. Truly?
Thx

Welcome to the club! At its current prices worldwide, this headphone is a steal!
Hi all, I've jumped on the 100aap train as well. Got mines open box for £59. Couldn't resist a bargain.

Compared them to the Oppo PM3 amongst others at the time, but the bass drew me to them.

One quick question, before I purchased these, I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Meze 99 Classics.

I am still considering them, however do you think it'll be worth spending the extra £200 for the Meze over the Sony's?

Will the Meze be markedly better all round? A league above them?

Remember the Sony's were released at £200 but now selling cheap. So they once were priced in the Meze territory.

Welcome to the club! The Meze is definitely better but less bassy. Meze is not portable though. if you want an upgrade and like the Sony signature, consider the MDR1A. I prefer the ergonomics and design of the MDR1A over Meze.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,670 of 1,768
Just got mine (purchased them on eBay this Sunday for $67).

While I love the build and the look, I have a problem right out of the gate: sound is only coming in from the left earcup. When I pull the cable almost completely out of the port, the sound switches over to the right cup and becomes "unfocused" (background vocals in front, front vocals in back).

Anyone had this issue before, or have an idea of what is going on? Is it the cable or the cup?

I've messaged the seller too; he'll be hearing from me if it's a non-fixable defect, because the description said "Grade A Condition, Working Perfectly" 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance!

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,671 of 1,768
  Just got mine (purchased them on eBay this Sunday for $67).

While I love the build and the look, I have a problem right out of the gate: sound is only coming in from the left earcup. When I pull the cable almost completely out of the port, the sound switches over to the right cup and becomes "unfocused" (background vocals in front, front vocals in back).

Anyone had this issue before, or have an idea of what is going on? Is it the cable or the cup?

I've messaged the seller too; he'll be hearing from me if it's a non-fixable defect, because the description said "Grade A Condition, Working Perfectly" 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance!

From what I remember, you REALLY have to push the cable in on them.  Mine was a really tight fit.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,673 of 1,768

From what I remember, you REALLY have to push the cable in on them.  Mine was a really tight fit.

I pushed it in until there's only the barest seam visible; pushing any further doesn't seem to have any effect.

Also, note the cable goes in one way only. The 90 degree pin on the cable goes into the source, whilst the straight pin has two wings that go into the left cup, where the wings also have to fit in.

Thanks man; I figured that was the correct orientation, but it doesn't hurt to get that confirmed.

I think it may be the cable, as bending the cable slightly at the straight pin causes sound to come in on the right properly. But I can't tell if it's just the pin or the connection inside the cup that's contacting properly.

EDIT: So the seller was really brusque and unhelpful; all he said was (verbatim) "they were working fine when tested. I don't have an answer. Request a return if the problem consists." (I assume he meant "persists") How dismissive.

In any case, I replied asking if he can perform an exchange, as I still want the headphones, I just want a working pair. We'll see what the reply is this time 
rolleyes.gif

If the answer is no, then I'll just need to buy a new cable I suppose.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,674 of 1,768
Hello everyone! If anyone wants to chime in write their own review of these incredible cans, here's the MDR-100AAP page:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-h-ear-on-mdr-100aap

I made it a while back, and these headphones need to be known by Head-Fi, let everyone know the greatness of these underrated headphones!

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #1,675 of 1,768
Just replying back to say that the seller came through with a full refund, and I was able to keep the cans. 

I also discovered that it was indeed the cable that was the problem; I plugged it into another set of cans that take 3.5 mm and the audio was "unfocused" again until I bent the cable and then it came in clearly, just as with the original cans. I ordered a replacement MDR-1A cable that should here on Sunday.

I'll give my sound impressions once I can properly assess the sound 
tongue.gif
 I can say that from the brief snatches of full sound I could get, the Sonys sound good. I'm coming from Audio-Technica M40x, so the Sonys sound a bit recessed to me, but I haven't been able to let my brain adjust yet. I definitely think the bass is on par with/better (in terms of quantity) than my M40x and it's clean, not muddy at all. Not necessarily a personal plus, because I like more accuracy in bass than sheer quantity, but it's definitely a positive for the headphones overall.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #1,676 of 1,768
Crosspost from the MDR-1A thread since my question is the same for both the MDR-1A and MDR-100AAP, the answer might be at help for MDR-100AAP owners as well.

I just bought a MDR-1A, yet to arrive, to pair with my XDP-300R DAP.

Can someone please confirm that the jack plug  going into the MDR-1A/MDR-100AAP is a 3.5mm TRRS indeed, with the pin layout as shown below, first line?
So that a cable without mic going to a 2.5mm TRRS jack plug, as shown below 2nd line, can be used as a balanced cable?
(2.5mm TRRS pin layout for XDP-300R is the same as AK and DP-X1/A.)

And if so do you know any shops that have this cable for sale?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,677 of 1,768
  Crosspost from the MDR-1A thread since my question is the same for both the MDR-1A and MDR-100AAP, the answer might be at help for MDR-100AAP owners as well.

I just bought a MDR-1A, yet to arrive, to pair with my XDP-300R DAP.

Can someone please confirm that the jack plug  going into the MDR-1A/MDR-100AAP is a 3.5mm TRRS indeed, with the pin layout as shown below, first line?
So that a cable without mic going to a 2.5mm TRRS jack plug, as shown below 2nd line, can be used as a balanced cable?
(2.5mm TRRS pin layout for XDP-300R is the same as AK and DP-X1/A.)

And if so do you know any shops that have this cable for sale?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I can confirm that the MDR-100aap comes with a 3.5mm jack plug laid out like the first line of the photo. Both the cup-facing jack and the L-shaped plug out are so.

I just (5 minutes ago) received my replacement cable (with a mic) and the jack plug for the cup has only two rings, but it is 3.5mm as well. The plug out is straight and 3.5mm as well, but with 3 rings (naturally).

This doesn't seem to answer your question (at least the second part doesn't), and I may be missing the point somewhat, but perhaps I can still help out. 

Just for clarification, are you asking if a 2.5mm jack plug going IN or going OUT will fit the MDR-1A? That is, are you asking about the plug connecting to the cup can be 2.5mm or if the plug going into the X1/A can be?

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,678 of 1,768
  I can confirm that the MDR-100aap comes with a 3.5mm jack plug laid out like the first line of the photo. Both the cup-facing jack and the L-shaped plug out are so.

I just (5 minutes ago) received my replacement cable (with a mic) and the jack plug for the cup has only two rings, but it is 3.5mm as well. The plug out is straight and 3.5mm as well, but with 3 rings (naturally).

This doesn't seem to answer your question (at least the second part doesn't), and I may be missing the point somewhat, but perhaps I can still help out. 

Just for clarification, are you asking if a 2.5mm jack plug going IN or going OUT will fit the MDR-1A? That is, are you asking about the plug connecting to the cup can be 2.5mm or if the plug going into the X1/A can be?

Thanks, it does partly answer my question: The 3.5mm going into the left cup of the MDR has 4 contact points, this should mean that each driver has a separate + and a - , so it could be driven balanced.

The balanced plug going into the X1/A is a 2.5mm. (second line of the picture)
So I need a cable connecting the plug from line 1 (3.5mm TRRS) to the plug from line 2 (2.5mm TRRS) to drive it balanced.  
L3000.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #1,679 of 1,768
  Thanks, it does partly answer my question: The 3.5mm going into the left cup of the MDR has 4 contact points, this should mean that each driver has a separate + and a - , so it could be driven balanced.

The balanced plug going into the X1/A is a 2.5mm. (second line of the picture)
So I need a cable connecting the plug from line 1 (3.5mm TRRS) to the plug from line 2 (2.5mm TRRS) to drive it balanced.  
L3000.gif

Ah, I see; glad I could (indirectly) help 
biggrin.gif

I'm not aware of such cables, but I'm sure they exist...

...And some quick searching leads to the answer being yes! I would recommend getting one like this, because the cup port (for the MDR-100aap at least, not sure about the MDR-1A) has a "keyguard" on it which will only allow slimmer jacks to enter and connect properly.

I did look for OEM balanced cables for the MDR-1A, but since this is Sony we're talking about, I'm seeing prices like $99.99 and $110 for those, so you may be better off with a third-party cable.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #1,680 of 1,768
Hi. Confirming that the MDR-100aap is a bargain on the current price level. But just as they excited me the first week they made me wanting for more because of the recessed and thin mids and the slightly emphasized mid bass. To me they got me looking for a more neutral and natural sounding. I read some posts and reviews and I choosed the NAD VISO HP50 and the PSB M4U1. And both upgrades delivered what I was looking for. Ok, 150€ each but to me it is worth it. Currently cannot decide which will remain as they have both their advantages. Maybe I keep them both as I like both (neutral) signatures in their special ways.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back