Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,036 of 1,768
  The V6 is as flat as a table top :p

Nah, some peakiness in the treble along with some ringing around 2.5k to 4.5k which gives it a bit of a shouty midrange... still, for 60 bucks, still surprisingly relevant, especially if somebody is looking for a cheap solution to get decent bass extension.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,037 of 1,768
  Nah, some peakiness in the treble along with some ringing around 2.5k to 4.5k which gives it a bit of a shouty midrange... still, for 60 bucks, still surprisingly relevant, especially if somebody is looking for a cheap solution to get decent bass extension.

They used to be my streets even with the long ass coiled cable. 
The 100AAP's have replaced them, these are a bit more lively and better fitting. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,040 of 1,768

The Sony h.ear on headphones or the Bose QC25? I need one for my iPod while on the go. I love Bass while not sacrificing the mids and highs. Please help!

Unless you really need the active noise cancelling the Sony's are much better sounding imo.

+1 Unless you fly a lot, get the SONY's. Also upgrade the iPod to a Walkman while you're at it. xD

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #1,041 of 1,768
Ok I decided to tackle the wind noise today or try to. So I found some thin plastic type foam with very high air flow impedance and used some double sided sticky tape to hold it. The solution just fits inside the cup structure. Due to the high air flow obstruction I cut a hole in the foam on the opposite end of the bass port hole. I also cut a full length slot in the double sided tape before attaching to the foam so the tape was not affecting the breathability of the foam.

My first walk the wind was reduced but was still present so I took some other foam I had that allowed a lot more air flow and I stuffed a small piece in the holes I had cut. The next walk almost had zero wind noise that was drowned out easily when playing music.

The effect to the music is subtle. With the initial design the bass was essentially unaffected and the mids seemed to be a bit more forward. With the foam filled holes the bass is a bit more subdued and the mids are even a bit more present. I am thinking I will pull out the foam I used and reduce the quantity by half and see if it creates a nice balance between the two states.

This is an easy full reversible mid that might be fun for others to try. It also helps the isolation of the headphone too.

Here is a picture of the mod in place.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,042 of 1,768

Your impressions mirror mine pretty well. Distant and thin vocals is a pretty good way of putting it. I definitely prefer a bit more presence here. Your store must have been fairly quiet though for you to have thought that the isolation was very good. I found it to be mediocre in that regard.

The mids/vocals may be A BIT recessed, but I've heard much much worse, even from headphones which are much more expensive and SHOULD be much better than the MDR-100AAP.  I got to compare the MDR-100AAP and the Shure SRH-1540 side-by-side (both from teh same source) at a meet recently, and the 1540's have a SHOCKINGLY unbalanced signature with VERY distant-sounding mids/vocals.  I find that to be inexcusable from a pair of headphones which retail for $499.99!!!!!

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,045 of 1,768
  I just got my iPod and I don't think I'm getting Walkman anytime soon, or even not in the future.. And may I ask what differences does the Hi-Res Audio makes? I have not tried one yet and I'm curious about it.

With headphones like the 100AAP (i.e. mid-fi level headphones), the improvement you will get from a true HI-Res digital player (the higher-end Walkmans, Fiio X3ii or better, etc.) as compared to something like an iPod, will really be very SUBTLE and minimal.

"Hi-Res" is just a marketing buzzword, at least on its own, and doesn't really mean very much except that it sounds impressive to folks who don't know much better, lol.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,047 of 1,768

The mids/vocals may be A BIT recessed, but I've heard much much worse, even from headphones which are much more expensive and SHOULD be much better than the MDR-100AAP.  I got to compare the MDR-100AAP and the Shure SRH-1540 side-by-side (both from teh same source) at a meet recently, and the 1540's have a SHOCKINGLY unbalanced signature with VERY distant-sounding mids/vocals.  I find that to be inexcusable from a pair of headphones which retail for $499.99!!!!!

Sure, I was just comparing with what I have, and for what I'm looking for in a closed portable. Those 1540s have a bass hump that probably makes the mids take a back seat, but I think you're making a bit of a fallacy here. At no time in audio did "more money" mean "less colouration". Some people pay extra to get certain signatures, even if it strays further from a cheaper more neutral headphone. HD598 and X2 for example. I consider the HD598 to be a more neutral headphone, but many people love the X2 more than the HD600, HD650, even HD800 or Audeze stuff...

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #1,048 of 1,768
I also posted this in the 1 A section, but could be of use of potential buyers of the 100AAP

I went to the mall the listen to it and the 100 aap, and comprae them with a mix of files, same with original FIIIO X3 and the ii. 

My first impressions were confirmed.  The 1 A, was musical, well balanced. Nothing was demanding more attention then other frequencies.

Bass was present, but natural and not too much, Mids, were singing, well present, vocals were a pleasure to listen to, and highs were pure, without demanding attention, when not needed to.  Headphones were comfortable, could listen to it for hours, if the salesman let me.....

The 100 AAP, was another story. Yes, they were more lively.  But again, I felt them out of Balance, even sounding not bad.  I let it play too, vivid and warm recordings altered, as well from one player to another.  High tones were for me way too present, making "Fleetwood Macs" "little lies" sound tiring, when it was much more musical, with the 1 A.  Also warmer recordings, not made me tap my feet.  Voices, were not so natural either, lacking "presence", meaning, they were not enough in front.  The Bass sounded pleasant though, but I had the impression, that the 1 A, had more layers to it.  I can understand people who like the 100AAP, but it is not my piece of cake. Also, being 55, the abundance of high notes should not bother me so much, as they say with age, you hear them less, but yet it did.

The 1 A shined with the FIIO X3 ii. I liked it less with my own headphones, here it becomes more musical. The original X3, I prefer with my Audio Technica  AT ES 7, as it has a bit more upper mids, that makes it more vivid.  But I thing the A1 could come closer to the truth.
Really nice how it is musical, not tiring, but not dull either, where the hig tones, shine, when they have to shine. If my AT break again, I could turn to them without any hesitation

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,049 of 1,768
That's because you prefer the warmer tone of the 1A which is perfectly fine. Personally I don't think the 100AAP is better just a different signature. For me the 1A was shelved due to wind noise but my little mod listed above would probably work on the 1A as well.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,050 of 1,768
We indeed not like all the same. But it is not the sound signature only. It is balance. I think that where the 1 A is better. Nothing is put forward, it is not Boomy, not aggressive, and the voices are natural to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back