Sony gumstick (NWZ-B153F)+bass b00st -> J-Phonic K2 SP 100Ω
Aug 10, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello

I've been using the Sony NWZ-B153F for a long time, it's very practical, simple, and looks nice! It's my third Sony gumstick!

It charges very quickly, and has great battery life!

It has lots of nice features inside! It has a very nice equalizer, a radio, a microphone to record with, and a famously insane bass boost!

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 8
I stopped using the NWZ-153F after acquiring the Teclast T51, which is a very nice DAP too, and then the NWZ-153F stayed in my drawer, except for when I couldn't be bothered taking the Teclast T51 around with me (heavy), or when I went jogging, this DAP is great for going jogging in, and such events!

I also took the 153F with me overseas, since the battery life on the T51 will run out in 8 hours or so, the 153F just keeps going forever! So it came in handy, even if audio quality suffered a bit, especially with my Sony MDR-EX700.

I just recently started listening to the Sensaphonics J-phonic K2 SP IEM, www.j-phonic.com

I decided to check the synergy with the Sony NWZ-153F, when I connected them together, I was pleased with the result. (nice pic, huh?)

Today I received something nice in the mail from ecbuy in Hong Kong, a 75Ω adaptor, a very nice looking one at that!

Then connected this to........

Finally, I turned on the insane Sony gumstick bass boost! (THE PURPLE LINE).

RESULT = ?

Edit: I think I just realised that picture is measuring a flat signal......... so what would it look like with bass heavy music? c'mon! What was Sony thinking?

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 8
Keeping the results realistic here.

The NWZ-153F isn't the most high quality sounding player, but it has a decent synergy with the J-phonic.

The J-phonic is very easy to drive it seems, even with an extra impedance cable inbetween this little gumstick can play music on it just fine.

When I heard what this sounded like, it was like the J-phonic was a sleeping lion that woke up, and roared.

For a balanced armature IEM, I'm very impressed that the J-phonic can handle that kind of signal, without distorting or contorting the bass,it delivers the extreme bass boost of the sony quite well, not going to say "effortlessly" or something like that, but really well considering the signal impulse.

I wouldn't recommend this particular setup for a casual listener, but for a basshead that likes going jogging and wants an extremely durable and portable solution? Then this has to be one of the best out there.

Holding the gumstick and the J-phonic in my hand, I'm surprised at how these little components can deliver a shocking surround sound bass, the impedance adaptor is vital otherwise it will sound too upfront, the extra 75 ohm impedance will increase the soundstage.

The J-phonic has a very monitor-like sound, which is rather uninvolving, it's not analytical, it's just "there" with a ceiling on all the notes, not letting them exfoliate and hit you, the extra 75 ohm impedance will give the J-phonic a more enjoyable character, letting the notes rise a little bit further, like fish jumping out of the ocean (ok not quite).

Naturally, this applies to the bass boost being turned off as well.

So what can I say? If you're into trance music with deep sub-bass and taking drugs and have $500 in your back pocket from last nights poker game, get the gumstick, get the J-phonic, get the extra cable.

I think that sums up this review, unless you want pictures?

Now you guys can derail the thread into whatever.

Peace.

/kiteki

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 8
- haha always exploring eh?

i am quite curious to know how IEMs in general sound with resistance adaptors (= could i have the link for the resistance adaptor?

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't like the way how they put heat-shrink outside the plugs. It looks like an afterthought to me and is quite non-pro.
If they seriously wanted to apply it outside then they should have used clear tubing.

Tips from a DIYer.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

Finally, I turned on the insane Sony gumstick bass boost! (THE PURPLE LINE).

Edit: I think I just realised that picture is measuring a flat signal......... so what would it look like with bass heavy music? c'mon! What was Sony thinking?

This is the reason why it's called the torpedo in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back