Sony extended service plans, what is your take?
Mar 31, 2010 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
OK...First please I really appreciate that the Sony detractors stay away from this thread, I do not want to hear those opinions, base just in brand hates, unless reasonable...I know that we have a few guys here, that all that smell like Sony is automatically crap, not worthy, and dimissed...but the fact is the regardless what they think, Sony had manage to make a few good products (once in a while) that nobody can deny, along all these years....
wink_face.gif

Well recently I purchased an new LCD TV, during a sale, and after some model related problems, my fault for not dong the proper reserch, I ended exchanging it for a far better KDL46XBR9, they gave me a decent offer, not a killer deal, but at least I got the opportunity to get rid of a low level defective one, and get a better model, paying just for a difference...

As you probably know, nowdays the closer you get to the top of the line models, they are not as cheap as they used to be, and I was thinking in getting an extended warranty just in case, as it is not a TV that I can afford to replace next year...

The xtended service plan cost around $250.00, for 5 years, that is around 60 a year, that in my book is not very expensive, considering what they charge for out of warranty repairs...

I would like to hear some opinions, specially from the more experienced fellows here, regarding if it is worthy or not to get it from Sony, durability of nowadays LCD's, etc....

I could not get it from any other place now, asthis TV was an exchange for a defective model, any input will be really appreciated...
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 19
If you got it with a Credit Card it will (99%) of the time at LEAST double the warranty of most anything bought it with (Not cars, trailers, etc...). So if the Standard is 1 year now it is 2 years if you paid with a CC. If your TV has not gone bad in 2 years then you are pretty much good. Manufacture Warranty only covers issues due to issues that are their fault not power surge, etc... so again if it goes 2 years you are pretty damn likely to not have any Manufacture problems with the TV from there. Check your CC website most of the time you just call them or register the item online with them to qualify for the extended warranty.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...tbenefitdetail

http://usa.visa.com/personal/visa-si...ty-manager.jsp

http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...its/index.html

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 19
I purchased using a Sony Visa Card, but other than the points I redeemed, I do not think I have two years...also you are wrong, Sony extended warranty covers you for surges, accidental handling, lemon law, etc...also they cover the backlighting, that IMO in three years it will still be good, but in 5 God knows....

They have different options, here is the link...

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased using a Sony Visa Card, but other than the points I redeemed, I do not think I have two years...also you are wrong, Sony extended warranty covers you for surges, accidental handling, lemon law, etc...also they cover the backlighting, that IMO in three years it will still be good, but in 5 God knows....

Read their rules about back lighting and other things. Pretty sure they cover the back light as in it works not so much for uniformity. Also for surges and stuff read their witting very carefully as they are normally written to well... screw you.

If you bought it with a Visa then

"Warranty Manager’s registration service helps you take full advantage of your warranties, because you can get key information about your coverage with a single toll-free call. And if you send us your sales receipts and warranty information, we’ll keep everything on file—so arranging for a repair or replacement is as easy as picking up the telephone. Warranty Manager Service offers Extended Warranty Protection that doubles the free repair period under the original manufacturer’s written U.S. repair warranty up to one (1) additional year on eligible warranties of three (3) years or less when an item is purchased entirely with your eligible Visa Signature card."

so 1 year on all TV's falls under the 3 year or less so they give you 1 additional year through Visa.

A Visa is a Visa sony branded or amazon branded or chase branded or whoever branded still follows Visa rules.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/eclaims.html

To Register it for the Visa Warranty. BTW Visa also has Extended Warranty's but think Sony's is cheaper still IMO 5 years is excessive.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 19
I will call them tomorrow, and will ask all questions, aslo the CC as well, but definitelly I will get something, I do not feel confident with a 2K+ TV home with no coverage at long term...

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 19
Have you looked into adding a rider to your homeowner's? For $20/year I get protection on my electronics (PCs, Audio, Video, cameras, etc.). Obviously, this isn't a warranty against breakage and won't replace backlights but it does protect against surge (good luck!), theft, and accidental damage.

If I act like a clutz and drop a laptop or knock my TV over, my insurance company will buy me a new one.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 19
I'm not a home owner, nor I will place any insurance for a building that is not mine...

I contacted the CC and it was true, they doubled the warranty, but while reading the terms and conditions, they do not cover things that I need, so I went ahead and purchased the Extended Service Plan from Sony for five years, that covers the surge, lighting and spikes situations, the back-lighting tubes (all electronic parts and labor are covered) etc...not cheap but I least I have now a peace of mind for a few years to come...

Thanks guys for the input...

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 19
I bought my Sony KDL46Z4100 two years ago. I seriously regret not buying a service plan. I figured if it was going to break it would within the warranty period, and it did. It was defective from the get go. Every part in the television including the panel has been replaced, TWICE! It took me literally hundreds of calls to Sony and several service centers to have the stuff repaired. It was a huge hassle. Finally after everything was replaced twice and still didn't work, they gave me a refurb and by then the warranty was expired -- yes, it took over a year to resolve this! It was a pathetic experience and I'll never buy another Sony television ever again. I have always bought Sonys in the past, they have always been excellent, but those were Trinitron tubes. The fact that they have so many problems with their Bravia line up and that their service is beyond awful is why you should definitely purchase an extended warranty, but from a company OTHER THAN SONY. You will not get good service from Sony.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

I'm not a home owner, nor I will place any insurance for a building that is not mine...

Off topic, I know, but don't you have renter's insurance? I am sure you could have a similar rider. The protection is really worth it for the clutz protection alone.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic, I know, but don't you have renter's insurance? I am sure you could have a similar rider. The protection is really worth it for the clutz protection alone.

Nope, what for?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my Sony KDL46Z4100 two years ago. I seriously regret not buying a service plan. I figured if it was going to break it would within the warranty period, and it did. It was defective from the get go. Every part in the television including the panel has been replaced, TWICE! It took me literally hundreds of calls to Sony and several service centers to have the stuff repaired. It was a huge hassle. Finally after everything was replaced twice and still didn't work, they gave me a refurb and by then the warranty was expired -- yes, it took over a year to resolve this! It was a pathetic experience and I'll never buy another Sony television ever again. I have always bought Sonys in the past, they have always been excellent, but those were Trinitron tubes. The fact that they have so many problems with their Bravia line up and that their service is beyond awful is why you should definitely purchase an extended warranty, but from a company OTHER THAN SONY. You will not get good service from Sony.

Today equipment in general is not of the same quality, I have had problems with literally every single major brand till now, Sony is at least one of the best, in my case, fixing the mess (the worst was Onkyo, Ultrasone was horrible also, Axiom is very good, Alesis was top notch, Oppo was good, but did not solve the problems yet, but at least answers) in this case they replaced the TV, and same problem again, then they sent a technician to verify the problem, and after a few days we arrange everything and they send me the XBR9 that till now have been working fine and does not have the HDMI handshake problems the S and V line have...Very nice TV indeed, till now....
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Nope, what for?

To cover theft, fire, water, quake, etc... that causes damages to your items. I Live in a college town so for like 100 a year I got 10k renters insurance. Covers my bike if stolen on campus, my lappy if jacked from campus or my room. If the TV dies in a surge or by clutz, etc...

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To cover theft, fire, water, quake, etc... that causes damages to your items. I Live in a college town so for like 100 a year I got 10k renters insurance. Covers my bike if stolen on campus, my lappy if jacked from campus or my room. If the TV dies in a surge or by clutz, etc...

I should probably get that for all my gear. But renter's insurance typically has a very high deductible, unless you want to pay a ridiculous premium.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should probably get that for all my gear. But renter's insurance typically has a very high deductible, unless you want to pay a ridiculous premium.

Think the deductible is like 1500... so that covers my bike... least I get the rest of my **** back.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a couple of friends, that had past over similar issues, and the insurance ask you so many evidence and so many documents, that at the end, at the time of paying of course, they never ask you while you are insuring or paying for.....for example you need to have all receipts in case of fire or theft, if they are not burnt or stolen of course, at the end they got a miserable amount that was not able to even cover what they had paid over the years...I will take the chance of that, my only valaubles in the apt are the CDs, and some of the gear, period...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back