Sony EX90 - Shocked!
Aug 26, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Veggie_Musician

500+ Head-Fier
First impressions where mixed, no isolation, altho bassy - sound was a bit thin - splashy treble! But all in all much better than my EX71's.

Kinda dissapointed with the isolation I decied to block the holes in the front of the drivers with clingfilm....

WOW what a differance... not only do I have isolation - but the sound is stunning... They almost sound like my UM2's - shocked. Only thing about the sony's is that they are a little harder to drive and dont have the detail the UM2's have.... but its not too far off at all...

What I will do is burn in the EX90's for 200 hours and do a full review!

Veggie

PS I got them for £55 UK pounds.

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 8
i second this mod. tape would be a more permanent, better looking solution, but the only downside is that the driver gets pushed back from the pressure every time you stick them in your ears...that noise of plastic crinkling...doesnt sound too safe for my EX90's...

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CommanderZero
i second this mod. tape would be a more permanent, better looking solution, but the only downside is that the driver gets pushed back from the pressure every time you stick them in your ears...that noise of plastic crinkling...doesnt sound too safe for my EX90's...

Hmm...

Does sound a little worrying (how hard do you have to push the 90s in? the 70/71 just rest in your ears, so this wouldn't happen?!?!) - If the driver does 'crinkle' as you say, all it needs to do is get a small crease, and bang - distorted bass forever more...

...If this IS the case, and the design is fundamentally different from the smaller driver 70/71 then use this mod at your own risk!

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 8
i dont need to push anything...they just somehow slide in my ears just fine...the seal is so perfect that no air comes out at all...and with the tape blocking the only way for the air to get out...you get it right?

EDIT: maybe we can find a way to make some kind of blocker? keep the quality as if it were closed, but lets the air out when it needs to, something like a heart? blood goes out a valve, but doesnt come back in...wait what am i talking about...i think i lost myself.
blink.gif

EDIT again: i found a pissible solution...poke a small hole (needle size) in the middle hole. of the tape. take away the poping noise consideribly.

Aug 27, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 8
I do get a crinkle sound... thought that was the clingfilm tho - will need to vent it then - pin hole or too - but the sound is sooo much better with mod.

Right Im going to try small needle hole in middle gap - got an idea - why not put normal radioshark foamies on the EX90 too - more confort - more isolation!

Aug 27, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CommanderZero
EDIT again: i found a pissible solution...poke a small hole (needle size) in the middle hole. of the tape. take away the poping noise consideribly.

Sorry, couldn't resist
tongue.gif

Sounds interesting though, I think there is a similar mod for the EX70/71s to improve the bass.

Aug 28, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 8
hi!! am a fellow EX90 user..
biggrin.gif
i tried putting electric tape on the holes, but it still doesn't isolate as well as the panasonic hje-70.. is it really like that>>?? sorry.. dont know too much about isolation stuff.. and can you post a pic of ur EX-90 with the clingyfilm>>???
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back