Sony EX71SL broke, looking for something new and better.
Feb 27, 2005 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

EoY

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, like all other threads I've started, I need your help again.

During my stay on headfi you've helped me buy my eggo pro's and sony ex71 (or what they're called).

I was very happy with my sonys (got them for about 59€) and somewhat happy with my eggos (lack of bass), but the other day my sonys broke
confused.gif
resulting in I thought I was deaf on my left ear for a while. However, I'm looking for something to replace my old sony ex71 and once again need your advice.

This time I think about upgrading to something better, and therefore, more expensive. Price range this time is 100-200€ , with shipping included (I'm from Finland).

I listen to all sorts of music, but to name a few: Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, Muse, Mars Volta, Herbie Hancock, Kingston Wall, Tycho, Wagner and a lot of drum solos.

The vocals need to be perfect aswell as the bass (which may be a bit coloured, I don't mind a choclate bass sound).

I can supply you with more information if necessery

Looking forward to hearing your advice,

eoy

Feb 27, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 20
want canalphones again, or headphones? if so, portable? amp? source?

Feb 27, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 20
Going to use them with my iRiver IHP, unamped in trains, busses, in my couch, at school, everywhere!

I liked my "canals", and I got my eggos when I don't mind looking a bit weird. People at school have already started calling me "munapää", which means egg-head and ******** in Finnish
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 20
can't find the sonys you mentioned anywhere.. sure you spelled it correct?

And not in my life I would use any sennheiser px phones, they're uncomfortable, look cheap, are cheap, leak a lot and hasn't even got the sound I'm looking for.

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 20
I think what he means are the sony mdr-ex71 fontopia which I also have.

EDIT: sorry, my mistake I misread thread and thought somebody was asking for the full name of the broken sonys.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 20
The general feeling around here seems to be that the Grado SR60s are excellent - but rather big, of course... so probably not a good portable choice. I enjoy my e2c's quite a bit, but I've never tried anything else.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 20
Yeah i would go with Shure or Etymotic...

Shure e2c, e3c..

Etymotic ER-6

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 20
if you liked the sony-sound but you want it sounding a bit better without spending too much try the sharp md33s.
they sound similar but better. also have a short-cord with extension and feel quite the same as the sony ex71, because the eartips are very similar.

if you want to use them without extension you would need to make the 4-pole to 3-pole mod, which needs a bit of soldering.

i have both the sony and the sharp and the sharp sound better.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EoY
I was very happy with my sonys... but the other day my sonys broke

Who knows… maybe God had mercy on you and choose to save you from the sound of the EX71... hehe
very_evil_smiley.gif
(just kidding)

I would recommend a pair of MS1’s but since you’re going to use it *everywhere* I’m positively not going to; without going into too much details, lets just say they're not too practical as portable, heh.

Looking at the type of music you listed I think you would like the ATH-CM7ti. I think they’d do pretty well everything you mentioned; everything is there, nice and clear; they’re not too bassy or have bloated bass like the one you might be used with the EX71, but the bass is good - if wasn’t for a part of it which *I* find a bit anaemic (shame on ATH).

I’ve got them a couple of weeks ago and I’m pretty satisfied with them, and although they still retain that kind of tonal typical earbud sound, I’d take them over the EX71, PX100, the lot, any day. In fact I found myself reaching for them more and more.
I can’t comment on the Ety or Shure since I’ve never tried them (shame on me), but they’d be a good choice; THIS post may be more detailed than my English can.
Also there is a new Shure (ec4?) coming out soon which could be what you’re looking for.

Music just sound SO MUCH better with better ear/headphones is worth every $$$

Here’s few pics
wink.gif

picture0019ix.jpg

picture0059wh.jpg

picture0083nm.jpg

picture0100qj.jpg

picture0127xm.jpg

picture0220bb.jpg

picture1jj.jpg

Burn in?
blink.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EoY
can't find the sonys you mentioned anywhere.. sure you spelled it correct?

It seems that the mdr-e888lp/sp are sold primarily in Asia. I recently bought a pair off of Ebay. The other place you can get them is Audiocubes, though they're a bit more expensive that way.

However, they lie below your price range. For your price range, it does seem that the Shure E2cs, E3cs and the Etymotic ER6(i)s are your best options. In that case it sort of depends on your opinion of bass. From your first post it sounds like it's important to you, in which case the E2cs are your best bet, as they seem to have stronger bass than the other two options.

The AudioTechnica earbuds seem to be nice, but i haven't heard awesome things said about their bass.

I was recently in the same boat as you and got the E2cs, i really like them, and with some EQing on my Karma, they sound really good. I also got a pair of the 888s so that i had a non-isolating ear bud. They're also pretty good, but not as good as the E2c (but they're a different kind of earphone).

I've tried the ER6s and to my ear they had no bass. I've read that the ER6is are better in the bass department, but it's not a huge increase.

Someone suggested the Shure E4s, but (and i don't know the exchange rate) i think that they're higher than the price range that you mentioned.

If you liked the Ex71s (whose claim to fame is the bass), then you'd probably want to go with the E2cs, because the others would be a disappointment in the bass department. The difference being that the E2cs don't have the high treble that the 71s do. This is either annoying or a godsend depending on your opinion of treble.

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 20
I've said this before but I really did not like the EX71SLs I had at all. The bass while very present and thumpy was slow and smeared, very obvious when listening to a well recorded disc with a bass guitar or full sized bass that went down low. And that's what it did well - the highs and mids were really bad too, imo. I think the e888 is a better headphone overall for approximately the same cost - it's not a canalphone, and unless you need canalphone levels of isolation may be a good pick at that price.
The Shures and etys will be a step up, although I havent heard the e2cs. I like the Etymotic ER4P (or S with an amp) at the ~200$ price point. Haven't heard the Audio Technica earbuds.
Hope some of that helps.

Feb 27, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 20
Thank you for all information and pictures! Really fun to see that people care.
I haven't heard about those audio-technica buds before, so I'll probably check them out before I decide anything.

"I've tried the ER6s and to my ear they had no bass."

Can anyone confirm this information? Do they really lack bass. I'm a bit dissapointed in my eggos bass department.. so it's got to be better than the eggos.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 20
Looks like it's either ER6, ER6i or the Audio Technica... Shure's cheapest phones are also under consideration.

I've read that the ER6i are specialy design to match an iPod, but will they perform well with an IHP-120 (H120) ?

Again, thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back