Sony EX71 & Outside Usage
Apr 29, 2005 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

zyx345

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my iPod headphones. I normally use my iPod while walking on the street in NYC.

Would the Sony EX71 headphones isolate background noise too much to be used for walking in a crowded city? I need to at least be able to hear cars coming.

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyx345
I am looking to upgrade my iPod headphones. I normally use my iPod while walking on the street in NYC.

Would the Sony EX71 headphones isolate background noise too much to be used for walking in a crowded city? I need to at least be able to hear cars coming.

Not really. Earphones like the EX series, HJE, and md33 are really only semi-canal phones. The tips don't reach and seal as deep as more expensive canalphones, and without music playing they don't really block out much noise at all. Because of the canal tips, more music enters the ears compared to regular earbuds. If you listen to quiet type music or at soft volumes, you'll still hear most of your surroundings at a very slightly decreased db level. If you listen to rock/rap/dance etc. or just up the volume to pretty extreme levels, you CAN drown out most things to a dangerous level depending on song.

Imo at reasonable volume levels, the EX can't drown out a loud cellphone caller sitting next to you. It might muffle the words in their voice at most. and You'll definitely hear a car honking at you. You do look both ways, right? =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back