Sony EX71, Etymotic ER-4P similarity
Feb 9, 2004 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

strike

New Head-Fier
hey all,

i'm thinking about (gulp) spending the money and trying out the ety 4p phones. i know that they have the microphonic cord that has caused issues with some who use them to work out.

i've borrowed my sister's sony ex71 phones (too bassy for me), and didn't think that the microphonic effect was troublesome at all when i had the music turned up.

so, the question is, are these headphones similar in the amount of the microphonic effect that they produce? if i've used the sonys at the gym without problem, would i get the same from the etys?

i've emailed todd the vinyl junkie and asked about a satisfaction guarantee, but i'd rather not have him ship me something if i can get some questions answered here first. thanks guys.

oh, by the way, i got some sennheiser px200s and really like them--moreso than the koss ksc-35s i got the week before. but i haven't used the koss enough i guess, to be fair.

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by strike
hey all,

i'm thinking about (gulp) spending the money and trying out the ety 4p phones. i know that they have the microphonic cord that has caused issues with some who use them to work out.

i've borrowed my sister's sony ex71 phones (too bassy for me), and didn't think that the microphonic effect was troublesome at all when i had the music turned up.

so, the question is, are these headphones similar in the amount of the microphonic effect that they produce? if i've used the sonys at the gym without problem, would i get the same from the etys?

i've emailed todd the vinyl junkie and asked about a satisfaction guarantee, but i'd rather not have him ship me something if i can get some questions answered here first. thanks guys.

oh, by the way, i got some sennheiser px200s and really like them--moreso than the koss ksc-35s i got the week before. but i haven't used the koss enough i guess, to be fair.

i had the ety er6. the sony ex71 has far much lesser microphonic effect than the er6. i would presume the ety4 to be more microphonic, which i think part of the reason can be attributed to the ety sealing better.

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 12
hum...somehow i never felt microphonic when i had both ex70 and ex71s..

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 12
I find the ex71 microphonics quite bad. I have also listened to the er4p and found the microphonics pretty negligible (ie much less bad than the ex71). You would think the increased isolation etc would make it worse, but the new cord really does reduce the problem.

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 12
The new ER-4P with the braided cables should not give you that much microphonic problem, as long as the shirt clip is applied. Without the shirt clip, the bottom end of the cable will dangle around and give you pretty bad microphonic problems.

However, securing the clip to something (your shirt?.. perhaps?.. heheeh), will reduce the microphonic down to a level at least comparable, if not better than the EX71. I would suspect it should be much better.

Sound signature wise, if you didn't like the boomy bass on the EX71, you should be very happy with the ER-4's presentation. If ER-4's bass is too lacking for you, then you can try the E3c's.

E3c's has good microphonic control when you wear in the "over-the-ear" method. However, since it doesn't have a shirt clip, if you wear it down the front, the microphonic is very bothersome.

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 12
sweet.

how's the microphonic effect compare between the e3cs and the ex71s? like i said, i didn't find the ex71s bad at all, as long as i had the music turned up. so if the e3cs are about the same, heck, i guess i have no excuse.

the shure's might be the ones i try then, since they're a little bassier than the etys. the determiner then may be the microphonic effect.

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 12
You have to wear the E3c in over-the-ear mode if you want to reduce the microphonic, worn down front, the joint in middle of the cable tend to produce some microphonic (just as the Ety's do)... and this joint doesn't come with shirt clips.

Otherwise, the microphonic with the E3c should not be a problem at all.

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 12
In my experience the EX71s don't even come close to the level of microphonics of the Etys even with the new braided cord and shirt clip or the Etys with the Xin enhancement cord.

When I was using the EX71s, I was whipping the cord around while listening to some CDs thinking: "man, my Etys would be perfect if they were this microphonic free." I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering how they are even comparable.
confused.gif

Just my $.02.

Edit: grammar!

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 12
it's amazing how much the shirt clip helps in reducing microphonics on the er4p. prior to using it i has all sorts of problems with microphonics...now, almost no problem.
i even wear my 4p to work out and i haven't been disappointed.

Feb 9, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 12
If you listen to classical music or something then you are sure to find the the Etys better.

But if you using them portably or listening to anything that requires bass then you are bound to be disappointed.

I can compare the the E3c's to the Ex71's and I can tell you the E3c's have clearer highs and less bass. The Ety's supposedly have even less bass than the E3c's.

A lot of people will disagree but you have to remember that many people are not making their comparisons on the same type of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back