Sony Ex700, CK 10 and.. SE530? Need Advice!
May 23, 2008 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

squashedpear

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to get a new IEM and would like to get some advice before I make my choice. So far, I narrowed it down to these three earphones; EX700, Audio technica CK10, and SE530. (btw I'm new to this forum and I love the atmosphere here
biggrin.gif
)

I currently use Sony NH-1 with B&O A8 mainly and I love A8's clarity and sense of seperation, although.. it kinda gets boring after awhile and it's not enough for listening to bands like.. Deftones. I listen to mostly alternative/ progressive metal (Dreamtheater!!!), instrumental math rock, and well.. mostly rock. I tend to pay attention to a lot of details from different instruments, but also enjoy heavy and rich guitar riffs. And booming bass makes my head ache while I feel like it obscures all the other sounds.

Read few reviews about Sony EX700 and seems like it's near perfect for me. Good high, mid and enough bass (some people say too much bass) with great detail and seperation. On the other hand, I could only find one review regarding ATH-CK10 and it was described as being very good for listening to different instruments as its seperation, clarity and detail are excellent (while lacking bass and being overly analytical).

I know it's too much to ask great sense of seperation from IEMs but if I had to choose, which one would be better? I wish to use them with Ipod Classic that I'm going to get soon on outdoors mostly so comfort and fatigue that comes after listening for a long time matters quite a lot too.

And SE530.. I see that Shure surely have great reputation in ths forum but I was worried about it having too much bass for me. But, I just checked the price and I could get one for 300 dollars.. while sony and audiotechinca costing around 250. And I was thinking maybe.. I would love the bass of SE530 now that it costs significantly lower than I always imagined
redface.gif

Well that's it. Thank you for reading and please, any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. Have a great day!

May 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 10
read my se530 vs tf 10

because i like crystal clear clarity, definition, and prominent high end also punchy impact bass
i hate boomy bloated bass that distracts you from the mids and particularly the highs

i value nice powerful highs more than anything (guitars, symbols, female vocals, short stringed instruments)

i listen to bands such as
nigtwish, xandria, in flames, arch enemy, darkest hour, muse, paramore

genres
symphonic power metal, death metal, electronica, trance, metalcore, screamo, classical

May 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 10
firstly, dont get the ipod classic, the sq is not the best. if u want the best sq get the new sony a820. i like the same music as u, progressive rock, and i find the se530 with that player is the perfect sound. there is definatly not too much bass, as the new sonys are more balanced than the previus one. the se530 bass is not too much, its just very hard hitting, but very tight and controlled. the ex700 treble is not ment to be very good, acording to cnet.co.uk. they only gave it a 7.2, wheras the se530 they gave a 9.1.

May 24, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 10
TF10 is the top of the notch IEM, very present and VERY controlled bass, balanced mids and perfect highs.
Can't comment on the EX700, but if it is a EX90 with better soundstage, isolation and more present bass, it is certainly a killer. I would love to try these. I really like EX90's sound signature.

I don't trust most reviews about EX700, because it is a dynamic driver 'phone, so it MUST be burned in. My ex90 came harsh and weird, after some nights of Pink Noise it became very sweet.

May 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 10
ahh.. I must choose until this weekend before I go on a long trip and now I'm completely lost haha.. I wanted to get ipod classic because I am getting tired of using the MD player.. the idea of having all the songs into one device while sacrificing certain aspects of quality sounds pretty good to me by now.. but I've always loved sony.. so it's very hard to decide..

I read the EX-700's review on CNET and one thing I'm pretty certain is that I wouldn't be bored with EX700's sound. TF10 sounds too perfect and.. expensive so I'm leaning towards the EX700 for now. I just wish I could just listen to each of them for a while before I choose.. sigh..

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 10
You could also add the senn and ie7 & ie8 to your list. The ie7 is the most natural sounding earphone ever. Everything just seems right. Sound very full and spacious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back