Sony EX70 with ER6 tips
May 26, 2005 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
I might not be the first person to make a thread on this but I decided to do a little expereiment on my ex70's which I am currently using till I can figure out a way of getting the left driver of my ER6's to start firing again.

Now I think it's fairly accepted across the board the ex70's have seriously weak mids and highs, so I EQ the crap out of them on my iaudio m3 (for those of you that have it 1khz, 4khz and 12khz are set to 12(max). I also boost the bass a little since it doesn't sound as full without it, MP is on and M3B is set on 3. This gives a fairly sort of acceptable sound from the EX70).

In anycase on my way home from college tonight I decided to put the tips from ER6 (which was in my bag) on my EX70's, at first I noticed the highs became damped a little more but the bass became slightly fuller sounding and more pleasant, it has a little bit of a ER6 bass quality in it (when u boost it on the ER6's anyway) and goes slightly deeper.

So when I got home I wanted to try and fix up the highs a little, I went and got a drill bit (2.5mm), took the ER6 tips and proceeded to try and widen the front hole twisting the bit with my finger and holding rather tightly on the rubber tip (I have since discovered these tips are rather stretchy). Now I dont really have any way of measuring how much wider I made the hole but I can tell you it's not THAT much, so now the highs have been upped slightly... the rest I left up to the eqing and various "sound enhancers" on my mp3 player.

Now Im definately not saying this is a miracle cure for these rather terrible earphones, but it kinda helps a little bit.... I still wanna get a better set of earphones but I guess this will keep me going for the time being.

Im also considering just snipping off the front flange to let the highs flow but Im worried I'll have rather undesired results. Are there any guru's in the house who can give me some sort of idea of what might happen if I do? And would the fit be any easier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back