Sony ex51
Jul 27, 2006 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mitchjordan

100+ Head-Fier
I know everyones going to come in here to tell me "no there not worth it" etc.

Its not for me, there going to be for my little brother, who isn't overly picky. His Mx500 recently died. He's just interested in them, to block out the noise from others on the bus. If they compete with the mx500 SQ wise, they'll be fine.

I'm pretty much inquiring, do they sound decent for the money.?

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 15
I've never heard them but read that the EP630s blow them away. I have MX500s and they blow the EP630s away. Go figure.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 15
the ex51 are good for people who want the ultimate party earbud. the bass is beyond
basshead.gif

i was in shock how good they sounded when i listened to them for the first time.

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchjordan
Well, price is obviously irelivent. The Sennheisers only cost $43 (my currency), while the Ex51's go for $75 currently.

um, where are you from? what is your currency?

the Senns can be had for around $10 while the EX51s are around $25

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Sounds like australian pricing to me

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 15
I've owned one pair of the EX-71 and two pair of the EX-51. IMO, they sound pretty good. Actually, having listened to nothing better than the MX300 at the time, I thought they were downright amazing.
One thing I didn't like about them was the way you're supposed to wear them around the back of your neck.
The big problem for me though (and a few other folks on the ilounge and riovolution forums), was after a few weeks, the cables seem to start deteriorating. On all 3 pair of mine, the cables developed this gummy feel and started coming apart at the buds soon after.
Personally, I think the safer bet would be to spend a few dollars more for the CX-300. Last I heard, Sennheiser actually stands behind their products.

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 15
i once wrote a whole thing about "the truth about sony ex cables" or something like that at ilounge

my experience with the cable is that they start go downhill when the cable is exposed to movement and wear, such as carrying them in your pocket without a case that covers the cable.

my second pair that i used only at home are perfectly fine.

its funny to see people wear J style cables under their chin

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 15
I'd take a modded plug any day over the EX51/71.

I got an EX51 as a gift from a good friend... I TRIED.... really really hard to like them. They're sooo comfey and small. But the treble is just piercing, and unlistenable.

Im NOT that picky either. My favorite canalphones are Koss plugs for pete's sakes.... so, for certain my portable criteria is very low. I found the EX51/71 to fall short of my low expectations.

Garrett

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 15
I went through about 4 pairs of EX71s in a year back in the day. Horrible horrible cable quality

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 15
I've had two pairs of EX-51. The first pair has a "shiny" black cable that is covered with slightly harder plastic than the cable of the second pair, which could be described as "matte" black and somewhat rubbery. The second pair deteriorated in couple of months while the first one is still going strong with no signs of wear at all.

As such, EX-51s have way too much bass, but that can be a good thing in noisy surroundings (commuting, for instance). Anywhere else I use the EQ of my MuVo with ok results.

Regards,

L.

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 15
It's not even about the bass, or the cable, it's the treble. The uber piercing evil treble.

DO NOT GET THOSE PHONES.

The Senn mx500 blow them out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back