Sony Ex51 broken after 2 days.
Mar 22, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
ok, well i bought the sony ex51, 2 days later, the right ear bud doesn't work? what happened? is this really rare? Any way to fix it?

Just return it. My EX70 right side broke after 2 years of use. If you bought it online, it could take 2 weeks or more to process and get your new set back depending on the seller.

*it was under 2 years of heavy usage, so I assumed it was normal. Also, IME it takes a long time to return/replace a defective product directly with the manufacturer (in your case, Sony).

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8
One time, my friend's EX71 left side "broke", and we started messing around with it. I pulled off the tip and he started picking things out the cover of the driver. Put the tip back on and it started working. No idea what happened, but it makes me think that maybe when people say their EXxx earphones are broken, perhaps they really aren't.

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 8
If you're using the extension cord, make sure it's plugged into the headphone cord very tightly. Otherwise, the right bud won't play. It's a pretty common mistake. However, from what I've heard, these aren't very durable headphones. Make sure you take them out gently instead of yanking them out as this is what usually causes one of the buds to stop working.

[edit] Whoops, you're talking about the 51. Ignore the first part of this post.

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurashima
If you're using the extension cord, make sure it's plugged into the headphone cord very tightly. Otherwise, the right bud won't play. It's a pretty common mistake. However, from what I've heard, these aren't very durable headphones. Make sure you take them out gently instead of yanking them out as this is what usually causes one of the buds to stop working.

[edit] Whoops, you're talking about the 51. Ignore the first part of this post.

I never had issues with the EX-7x extension cord thing you're mentioning. Perhaps it's only with a select unlucky few. My Ex70s/71s go straight into my backpack, the floor, jeans pockets, wherever without the use of covers most of the time. Durable for me.

I probably killed my 70s because I stepped on the cord by accident a few times, and the wires slowly yanked loose off the driver. When I jiggled the wire near the earphone, I could get sound to work for a few seconds at a time, but eventually it just died. 71s came out and went ahead and bought them.

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 8
If you pull the sonys out of your ear by the cord it causes issues like this. The wires are very thin/light wieght, and can be pulled apart internally if your not carefull. Is this possible? No fix, just return them under warenty and be more carefull next time.

Mar 23, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 8
The EX**-series seems to be a bit weird as far as durability goes... An EX70 of mine died on one side a few years ago. It was not the connection between cord and driver; I opened it and it is still intact. This part is actually quite durable: After entering the bud there is a knot in the cord, before it connects to the driver. So when the cord is pulled from the outside, the knot is pressed against the bud´s plastic shell, preventing the cord from being pulled any further. The bud´s housing thus takes all the stress, and the cord/driver-connection is not affected. I have tried killing the other, still functional bud by pulling the cord as strong as I could, but I was not able to destroy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back