Sony EX500LP review (short ans sweet).
Jun 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
I returned the EX700LP to the Sony Style store where I had them do a price match to B&H Photo (online store) for $186.00 plus tax. Then I bought the Sony EX500LP’s for $98.00, again doing a price match. This was done at 5pm after work. I got home and hooked them up to a Zen and let her rip at 80% volume with a diet of 70’s rock n roll while I tended to other things.

Around 1pm in the morning I tried them out and found that they still need much more breaking in as I figured they would. However, the treble was a bit harsh yet and should be resolved with break in. The bass and mid range were creamy smooth. Bass was not ultra tight but tight enough to be a quality sound. You can hear all the detail in the things you don’t hear in cheaper phones. This is a quality piece of head gear. This 500LP merits a serious listen by Audiophiles. The unit displays a wide soundstage with good seperation and blackness between instruments. The unit is dead quiet where it should be. Bass amundo. In fact you may want to EQ it back a bit for some genres of music. But the bass, I thought, never over shadowed or clouded the mids or highs except in extreme case selections of music.

For less than $100 this unit can be had for which makes it an excellent bargain. If you cannot afford the EX500LP’s than enjoy the EX300LP’s which are the 500’s very close cousin and don’t look back. The EX500LP is a step up or a finely polished EX300LP which is excellent in it’s own category.

The EX700LP I find to NOT be a step up from the EX500LP. Much of the EX700LP sound is stellar, but some of it is sub-par and needs retuning. How a high end unit can “volume diminish” some things like rythem guitar or violins almost to a point of existence at all yet let the unit still chime with the seldom heard bells and things only a high class unit can display, is beyond me.

Don’t test my ears or ability as an audiophile. I helped to tune the popular Zana and had the first modification for the Beyer Dynamics DT 800/900 series currently available. I have been in this hobby and a musician for 40 plus years and know my stuff. In full size head amps and headphones you still have abundant bass to draw from. Why some people think the High End monitor type Earphones should not need the normal bass, is a lot of huey. The sound engineers make every effort to put the bass viole, bass guitar, or other bass instruments in the recording. So to, a monitor style earphone should be able to pick it out and display it in splender. Fact is, not many manufacturers have figured out how to do this well with earphones. A lot of people may like it that way but it is not true to the engineers portrayal as engineered on a CD or like media.

Conclusion: Still pending as unit needs proper break-in. However I am sticking my neck out to say it can only get better.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 9
great review, thanks. This phone is often overlooked here, but i agree with you, it does perform very well for its price! I really admire its soundstage and quite balanced treble, mids, and bass.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 9
nice little review.

how warm do you find them? for me is till find them too warm for most things but that said i do have them in just now as its getting late here and they do warm and sleepy so very nicely i think.

out of curiosity how close do you think they and the 300 are?

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 9
I, personally, like the warm side. Although I do understand people likeing different things for a whole host of reasons. Now that I am older I find the high end getting on my last nerve. Years ago I diden't care. To me the EX 500's are more true to life. I would not go and listen to the Doobie Brothers, live, at a concert and find them sounding like they would out of a Shure SE410 which has little bass and a prodominent high end. Just my thoughts anyway. But if you like it that way, than so be it and go for it.

How much different than the EX 300's? An overly calculated number based on a sevear critique, I would say 10 to 15% better at least, being based on the exact same type of engineering but consisting of total polish and refinement. Right now it's hard to say because the 500's are not fully formed from a good break-in. I just rushed things...Sorry for that. I think that the EX 700lp's I just took back are of a much different type of enginering theroy. However not everybody has deep pockets or wants to dump a bucket load of money on this stuff. So I do want to emphisize that the EX300LP's are a good second to the 500's. The EX300 is a worthy advisary that you won't be at all dissapointed with.

To use an anology, someone quoted that the Lexus 300 is a Toyota Camry minus the silk stockings and black gloves. Certainly the Camry ain't bad at all and of course the Lexus 300 is that much better. Then too the EX 300 ain't bad at all and the EX 500 is that much better.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 9
oh yeah if you are looking for a warm and gentle sound then i cannot fault the ex500. thats why i use them for gentle before bed listening and for that i think they work perfectly. i just couldnt see myself wanting to listen them through the day unless it was to wind down, i just find them too mellow and warm for day to day stuff, lol they would have falling asleep.

and that j-chord would drive me fecking nuts, i hate that cable

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Cable we will list on the "con" side of things. But I do think that this 300/500 duo marks an earphone engineering "new beginning" for Sony.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 9
well i do think sony can make some great things they just usually are aiming at the lowest common denominator

the cable i just think is silly, like their selling the short verion of things in japan but only the long version elsewhere, i mean what the feck?!?!? and the tips, why not sell all the sizes you make???

seems daft to me

oh and memory stick and its 4 million different versions!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back