Sony EX500LP broken. Need new IEM. $130 max
May 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

randomm

New Head-Fier
Hello there.

Last summer I bought my first IEM. I decided to choose the Sony EX500LP, which I like very much, but they've recently stopped working so I'm currently looking to buy a new pair of IEM. I didn't really do that much research before buying the Sony headphones and now that I've found this awesome site I'm asking for your help. I read some threads here and realized that the IEM market is like a jungle and that I need help picking out which ones to buy

I'm willing to spend a maximum of $130. My main source of audio will be my Iphone 3gs but also my computer which has a pretty decent audio card. Some of the bands I listen to are tv on the radio, Arcade Fire, Zeppelin, Radiohead, The White Stripes, The Strokes and Hendrix.

If there is anything more you need to know just ask. Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my main language.

//Randomm

May 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Well i owned the EX500's, still do, and awaiting the Westone 2's to come in tomorrow.
I demoed them, and to my ears i preferred westone's and Shure products over UE. You could be different, but seeing as you liked the Ex500's, just like i did, you might like those products too.

I posted here around 1-2months ago asking for people's opinions.
Answer:
It's all different. It's YOUR ears and not theirs. Therefore they might like some different models but then again you might not.

I would strongly suggest demo-ing some earphones, if possible, even if you can't get the ones you want/get recommended, but having a PERSONAL opinion is a big deal. Before demo-ing high-end earphones, i demo-ed some HF2's from ethymology at the apple store. TBH they weren't bad! And for £40 from amazon, they would be quite nice to get.

At your budget, i could possibly suggest Westone 1, Or some of the Shure products that are in your budget.

I am NO EXPERT!
and totally agree that this site is not only awsome, but the people on here are absolutely on the ball.

So from me:
MDR-EX500's then i will be going to Westone 2's.

:)
Enjoy no matter what you go for, and hope someone else, who is more professional can give you a better answer :D 

May 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 18
Hi again! Sorry for not answering, I've been away from computers a couple of days.

I realize now that your experience with one pair of headphones probably will differ a bit from my experience. Unfortunately I have no way of demo-ing any headphones in the area I live. I'm actually not gonna buy the headphones before the end of June, when I visit New York.
Anyways I've been looking around at some headphones now and found a couple of ones which seem interesting.

The ones I've been looking at are:

Klipsch 3
Westone 1
Sennheiser IE 6 (have no idea if they are any good...)
And the Shure ones, but I don't know which modell you would recomend.

Please tell me if I've you think there are any others I should be looking at too.

Thx for all the response! great forum!

May 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 18
If you were happy with the EX500s, why not go for the EX700s?
atsmile.gif

For $130, you might be able to find a used pair

May 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 18
hehe altough I did like the EX500's, I think that I'm gonna wan't to test another brand to see what they're like :) another reason is that I'm probably not going to have the time to find a used pair of headphone while I'm in the USA :/

May 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 18
I have the EX500 and the IE6. If you liked the EX500 you will like the IE6. Both of them have a large amount of bass, great soundstage, and nice treble. The cable on the IE6 is better than cable on the EX500. It's kevlar reinforced and doesn't have the annoying J design. The EX500 has a brighter sound signature and the IE6 has more of a darker sound signature, which is typical for Sennheiser.

May 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
If you were happy with the EX500s, why not go for the EX700s?
atsmile.gif

For $130, you might be able to find a used pair

I didn't want to buy used earphone products so i bought new....and why i didn't choose it...

VERY simple:
Called Sony up about their warranty.

For starters: 1year warranty in comparison to shure, senns and westone's 2 years

-When i asked a sony representative:

Conversation went along the lines of:
-What if in 6-7months time i buy the product, will you replace it for me, or at least repair it?
-NO. We will not repair-replace them, if you buy them from amazon. UNLESS you buy it form our stores or OUR online stores.
-Wait, even though amazon is an authorised dealer, you won't replace it if i bought it from them?
-Exactly
-So you want me to spend £250 in store, for your "bad" earphones, with ONLY a 1 year warranty?
-Well it's your choice sir
-You do realise the competition, out blows you by a long shot in that respect? For example, i could buy a se530 form amazon or HHA, and SHURE UK will replace them or repair them for me even 2 years later? More so, they are 3-way drivers?
-That is our policy.

-Ok, haha i'll go to them gladly.

So i did so, demoed the:
Se530, TF10, w2, w3, um2, um3x, ie8.
@ HHA
Chose the W2's in terms of price - quality.

Love listening to them atm :)

Sorry for the long reply! 

May 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Yikes, thats some pretty shady policies
About 3 years ago, I accidentally stepped on my Sony Walkman and broke the LCD, so I brought it to an authorized repair center and they told me that the LCD isn't normally covered under warranty. Long story short, they gave it a shot and sent in the request for the new part, and repaired my Walkman at no cost. In addition, I had bought the Walkman on Amazon, and only had a printout of the Amazon receipt
I am guessing luck often plays a large part when it comes to Sony repair/warranty

May 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:

I didn't want to buy used earphone products so i bought new....and why i didn't choose it...

VERY simple:
Called Sony up about their warranty.

For starters: 1year warranty in comparison to shure, senns and westone's 2 years

-When i asked a sony representative:

Conversation went along the lines of:
-What if in 6-7months time i buy the product, will you replace it for me, or at least repair it?
-NO. We will not repair-replace them, if you buy them from amazon. UNLESS you buy it form our stores or OUR online stores.
-Wait, even though amazon is an authorised dealer, you won't replace it if i bought it from them?
-Exactly
-So you want me to spend £250 in store, for your "bad" earphones, with ONLY a 1 year warranty?
-Well it's your choice sir
-You do realise the competition, out blows you by a long shot in that respect? For example, i could buy a se530 form amazon or HHA, and SHURE UK will replace them or repair them for me even 2 years later? More so, they are 3-way drivers?
-That is our policy.

-Ok, haha i'll go to them gladly.

So i did so, demoed the:
Se530, TF10, w2, w3, um2, um3x, ie8.
@ HHA
Chose the W2's in terms of price - quality.

Love listening to them atm :)

Sorry for the long reply! 

That's ridiculous. 

May 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 18
mark2410
I called Sony HQ, so they had no excuse, for not at least "trying to repair"

@jjeremycai
Tell me about it lol...

@greenrenewables
Well that is for the walkman....their warranty for earphones is ABSOLUTELY useless. I remember looking at repairs for sony and it said something like:
-in-earphones bla bla bla are not covered from the warranty, as they cannot be repaired...I called thme up, and got almost the same answer.

When people say, would you recommend the EX-500's?
Hell yes, just would wish it was made form another company...
More so, after trying the metro fi200's i would definitely recommend them over the EX-500's. Just for: 2 years warranty + logitech owning UE.

I used to love Sony a lot, and more so, would recommend their products, but they are such a big company, that they couldn't give a crap about customer service. They rely on their name, SONY, to do the work for them. Not their actual products. Unlike Westone, Shure, Logitech. Granted they are huge companies, but they actually care about their customers.

May 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Even if Sony stores are franchises, that doesn't mean their policy can treat their customers so poorly.

agreed.
More so, even if your are a franchisee, you are in a direct "contract" with the franchiser, sony. They must follow rules/regulations from their franchiser. Meaning, warranty wise, they should be able to provide me with a replacement, even if i went into their stores. I don't care if you are a franchisee or not. Your shop name says SONY. and my product is a sony product.

Maplins anyone?.... it really is beyond the joke lol

In short:
-Good products
-Bad Customer service / warranty length

Users who are viewing this thread

Back