Sony EX-81 thoughts...
May 10, 2005 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Snoodge

100+ Head-Fier
I finally got my Sony EX-81 canal phones in the mail. I didnt really know what to think when I ordered them, I made a post asking for advice, the only thing I really knew going into the purchase was that I hated my E2C's and if they were like the E2C's that they would be up for sale shortly after them arriving.

I must say, im MORE than pleasantly surprised. I gave them a quick overnight run in with some high volume bassy material yesterday and have been listening to them for hours today... Absolutely no fatigue, no ear pain (using the largest tips) NO MICROPHONICS (my largest complaint of the E2C's). I can now shake my head all I want, breathe as loud as I want and act like a normal person and none of it makes it into my music.

The sound is hard to describe (or maybe im bad at describing sound). It sounds very neutral to me, Im not sure if i was supposed to hear a large difference in frequency response coming from HD600 and HD280's as primary phones, but they kinda sound the same almost. Obviously they dont have the soundstage of the HD600, or the isolation of the HD280, but the general sound is very similar to my ears. I like the bass a lot, theres not too much of it, so I doubt they'd be good basshead buds.

My advanced apologies for not being the best headphone reviewier...

Cliff Notes: No microphonics, very affordable, very detailed and neutral, decent isolation, very comfortable. For what I paid I couldnt ask for any more than what I got. Highly reccomended.

May 10, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 16
Thanks for the impressions, Snoodge. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a pair of these, and your brief review has me leaning in the direction of obtaining them. Your statement, "I like the bass a lot, theres not too much of it,....." makes me think these are NOT just cosmetically different EX-71s, which are known for their bass-heaviness.
My only concern is the loops that hang on your ears, as I'm worried they may be uncomfortable for me. I'd rather have something shoved in my ear, than have something hanging on it. I don't really like clip-ons for this reason.
So, do you feel them hanging on your ears, or is it a light enough pressure that it's inconsequential?
Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 16
ahh another satisfied EX81 owner.

joelongwood:
i think the clips just hangs lightly on your ears. they're supposed to hold the canalbuds more securely in your ears, so i dont think they apply too much pressure. EX81 owners, correct me if i'm wrong.

May 10, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 16
i've also been quite happy with my ex81. as has been mentioned by snoodge, i also think that they're quite neutral but still leaning towards the bassy side but at the same time, there are highs and mids present. they're not overly bright like the ex71 so to me there's a lot less listening fatigue.

my ear canals are shaped kinda weird, pointing slightly down and when i wear the ex81, they look silly on me as they point out from my ears at almost 45 degrees, making the clips essentially useless but they're still very comfortable. i'm still toying with the idea of cutting off the clips so that i can wear them normally.

May 10, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Thanks for the impressions, Snoodge. I've been toying with the idea of picking up a pair of these, and your brief review has me leaning in the direction of obtaining them. Your statement, "I like the bass a lot, theres not too much of it,....." makes me think these are NOT just cosmetically different EX-71s, which are known for their bass-heaviness.
My only concern is the loops that hang on your ears, as I'm worried they may be uncomfortable for me. I'd rather have something shoved in my ear, than have something hanging on it. I don't really like clip-ons for this reason.
So, do you feel them hanging on your ears, or is it a light enough pressure that it's inconsequential?
Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Joe,

The clips are glorious, they dont hang on your ears at all and weigh practically nothing, what they do brilliantly is prevent the occasional ear pop explosion when you accidentally tug on the cord and rip the plug out of your ear.

May 11, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 16
ive had the ex81's for 6 months! I thought i sounded really crappy for the first week but after a week it sounded like a different earphone. im very happy with it even though i overpaid for it 64.00 shipped.

May 11, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 16
I got mine off eBay from a seller called JemPro electronics... $43 shipped.

May 12, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Thanks for the impressions, Snoodge. ... I'd rather have something shoved in my ear, than have something hanging on it. I don't really like clip-ons for this reason.
Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Nice Review, Snoodge. I've had the EX-81s on my dining room table since Christmas, and since I lost my EX-71s the other week, I've now been using them. They improved substantially after a week's burn-in and use, the mids having a gradually improved clarity and higher frequency detail. I really didn't expect a great deal from these, since I've set my sights on saving up for the e4s.

Joe, I do miss the EX-71s for exactly the reason you stated, I prefer something shoved in the ear than resting on top of them. I find them to be very comfortable walking around; however they pop out in the middle of the night out of my ears when I sleep. Overall, I am definitely enjoying them. I did hear a difference between the smaller gage EX-71 extension cable than the one that came with the EX-81s - so use a good extension cable
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I find them to be very comfortable walking around; however they pop out in the middle of the night out of my ears when I sleep.
biggrin.gif

Whoaa.... you sleep with your headphones? A true audiophile!

May 12, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlestiller
Whoaa.... you sleep with your headphones? A true audiophile!

I've fallen asleep more than a few times with my 280's on. Falling asleep with EX-81's is for n00bz
tongue.gif

May 12, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
I've fallen asleep more than a few times with my 280's on. Falling asleep with EX-81's is for n00bz
tongue.gif

Excuse me...no noob here
icon10.gif
I fall asleep with my HD595/SR-71 or HD280s on when I'm at home. When I'm at the GFs, it's the EX-81s for now (saving for e4s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back