sony ex-71 or px200?
Apr 18, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
which one would be better use with an ipod for rap and hip hop music?
and also are the ex71 comfortable?

If both are available for you, personally, I would go with the PX200.
The PX200 wasn't available to me, so I got myself an ex81s.

Apr 18, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 10
I've got both, and it just depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I think the PX200 is a bit overrated - it's got decent (but not great) sound quality, but there's no question it's a great value, a well designed product/package.

I think the EX71 is a bit overly bashed here. Yes, the trebles are harsh, yes the bass is bloated and boomy, but I think it's pretty darn comfortable, provides good isolation and good functionality. The Sharp MD33 are probably better (I haven't really listened to them) and the Qualia inner ear receiver is a whole lot better (but $200), but for $40 or so, the EX71 ain't bad at all for the average joe who won't notice it's acoustic failings anyway.

I think either are fine for hip-hop or rap. Personally, I'd go with the EX71, because I like boomy bass for that kind of thing.

Best regards,

-Jason

Apr 18, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I've got both, and it just depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I think the PX200 is a bit overrated - it's got decent (but not great) sound quality, but there's no question it's a great value, a well designed product/package.

I think the EX71 is a bit overly bashed here. Yes, the trebles are harsh, yes the bass is bloated and boomy, but I think it's pretty darn comfortable, provides good isolation and good functionality. The Sharp MD33 are probably better (I haven't really listened to them) and the Qualia inner ear receiver is a whole lot better (but $200), but for $40 or so, the EX71 ain't bad at all for the average joe who won't notice it's acoustic failings anyway.

I think either are fine for hip-hop or rap. Personally, I'd go with the EX71, because I like boomy bass for that kind of thing.

Best regards,

-Jason

i agree.

Apr 18, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 10
EX71s by far gets its negative press from its first impression. What was that saying about first impressions and second chances?

At anyrate, the EX71s do deserved to bashed if its sound characteristics stayed same from its onset. However, I do feel that the EX71s are the best example of burn-in and how it changes a set of phones almost dramatically. I've gotten about 3 pairs in the last two years (gave two away to friends who like them as well) so that speaks a lot, at least to me.

Get the EX71s, chuck them in with your longest lasting CD or MP3 player in a drawer, set it on repeat-all. Come back when the battery's fully drained, repeat process about twice or three times, and enjoy your set of cans, which no longer exhibits overly bloated and boomy bass, and bright (but not harsh nor sibiliant) trebles that complements one another quite nicely. The only weakness of these are probably the vocals, but given the price and comfort, you can't beat the EX71s.

Apr 18, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
EX71s by far gets its negative press from its first impression. What was that saying about first impressions and second chances?

At anyrate, the EX71s do deserved to bashed if its sound characteristics stayed same from its onset. However, I do feel that the EX71s are the best example of burn-in and how it changes a set of phones almost dramatically. I've gotten about 3 pairs in the last two years (gave two away to friends who like them as well) so that speaks a lot, at least to me.

Get the EX71s, chuck them in with your longest lasting CD or MP3 player in a drawer, set it on repeat-all. Come back when the battery's fully drained, repeat process about twice or three times, and enjoy your set of cans, which no longer exhibits overly bloated and boomy bass, and bright (but not harsh nor sibiliant) trebles that complements one another quite nicely. The only weakness of these are probably the vocals, but given the price and comfort, you can't beat the EX71s.

first impressions with the ex71s are killer. when i first got them, i hated them. i went on to realize after demoing a bunch of high priced shures and ety's that they are the perfect portable buds. they are super comfortable, tiny, and unobtrusive. for me, they are absalutely perfect for on the go listening. i couldn't ask for more. (unless of course if they made the exact same design with some tighter bass and less muffled vocals
tongue.gif
)

Apr 18, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I loved my EX71s. Just like mentioned above, there is a noticable difference after burn in. The harsh highs become.. not so harsh, and the bass smoothens out, perfect for what I listen to (expiremental hiphop/edm). If only I hadn't lost one of those damn medium earpieces.
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 10
i also don't understand why the ex71 get so beat up here as i find them really enjoyable and do well for their price point. out of my anemic ipod, they have enough bass and energy to make me happy while on the go. other headphones such as the ksc35 or fc7 sound really boring out of the ipod as i find that amplification allows them to shine.

i liked the px200 also but they sounded too veiled to me and for some reason i couldn't listen to them for more than an hour without getting a headache. i was never able to pinpoint why that would happen. to now, i still prefer the ex71 to the px200 and of course that might change if i can get my hands on a md33 for comparison.

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 10
I will have both soon! (Hopeuflly tomorrow)

What I like about the EX71 (I own those already) :

Their incredible bass response
Their incredible amoutn of sound pressure they know to produce
The design, it's ultimately beautifull
The cord ideas, except for the higher chance with wire problems (I like the behind the neck idea)

Less like:

They take getting used to very badly
The noise blocking can't just be "turned off"
The highs are not impressive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back