Sony EX-71 Bass Issue- The Source!
Sep 21, 2003 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MikeM

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my ex-71's for several months now and have always felt they sound pretty good. I've read quite a bit to the contrary around here, especially in reference to the bass being too boomy/muddy. I've never felt that way. Its never been super tight but I wouldn't describe it as boomy, bloated, or just too much.

Well, tonight I was out at my local cd store. I had walked there with my iPod and ex-71's. I picked out a few cd's from the used stacks and went over to the cd players [some current cheap sony pcdps] they have set-up to listen.

Because I had my phones on me, I used those instead of the junk that's there.

HOLY CRAP! Even with the bass boost turned off the bass was ridiculous. [It was all the way up when I turned it on] The bass was low, which was nice but it was also all of the other negative things I've heard it called.

After leaving the store, I was back to my iPod and enjoying the phones again...

I use 128k AAC's [for storage reasons, not for pristine quality] on my iPod and they seem to mesh well with the ex-71's.

Maybe its all a matter of the AAC files weaknesses being matched to the sony's exaggerations?

Sep 21, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 7
I have the ex70. The cause of the bass bloat isn't the source, it's the 'phones. It can be fixed by modification.

Sep 21, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 7
My point was that with certain sources, the 71's sound quite good. Its a matter of weaker phones combined with a weaker source, but the overall sound is decent. I'm convinced now that phones like the ety's would ruin my iPod in its current form. I would have to re-rip everything plus buy a larger drive size...

And I was trying to clarify why its possible some people [like myself] hadn't heard the bass bloat.

I have no reason to mod mine... I like them.

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
I have the ex70. The cause of the bass bloat isn't the source, it's the 'phones. It can be fixed by modification.

yes I invented a great modification for those ex70's.

ingredients
-Mallet (as big as u can find)
-Anvil (same again)

directions
-place earphones on anvil
-proceed to beat the tar out of those little cheap pieces of plastic (with anvil obviously)

Sep 21, 2003 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 7
I didn't get much in the way of bloat with the 71. I hated the sound but not much in the way of bloat. The EX70 had enormous bloat. I was surprised at the difference between the two.

Sep 21, 2003 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by MikeM
Maybe its all a matter of the AAC files weaknesses being matched to the sony's exaggerations?

So basically what you're saying is that Sony has designed htese earphones to cover up the crap sound of most MP3 /AAC etc recordings!!!

Sep 22, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by skagen
So basically what you're saying is that Sony has designed htese earphones to cover up the crap sound of most MP3 /AAC etc recordings!!!

Why not!? Its what a lot of people use.

If you were using these files, like I am for portable use, wouldn't you rather have phones that made the music sound decent rather than clarify every flaw?

I'm not trying to make a stand to defend crappy sources and phones. But I do use the lower quality files because I enjoy having a lot of music with me at all times and these phones seem to work well with what I have for a portable set-up. I think it sounds: good. Its enough to allow me to enjoy the music and that's the real issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back