Sony EX-70's vs. Sony E888's
Aug 7, 2002 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of EX70's, and I have to say, I really like them. I love the isolation. Only drawback is music that is intentionally distorted (e.g. hard alternative rock) can be painful (oh, and no case????). Yes I know the ETY 6's are a million times better, but for my first time canalphone experience, I am very happy; especially @ $50. My question is how they compare to the Sony E888LP's. The 888's are listed at a higher price so I was wondering if they were better (even though on Yahoo shopping they are about the same). I know the 888's are ear buds but for those who have tried both, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Or if you just have the 888's, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Although, I must admit I am suffering from ETY paranoia: if (as a newbie) I like these so much, I can't even begin to think how good the ETY 6's are; or even the ETY 4P's.

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 5
compared to the unmodified ex70, the e888 has more detail, more warmth of sound, more controlled bass and sweeter treble. the ex70 has better isolation, and for me stays in my ears better. to get the most out of your ex70 you should try this modification.

i also have the ety er6. the er6 has even more detail and isolation than both the e888 & ex70. the e888 can sound colored when compared to the er6, or the er6 can sound bland compared to the e888, depending on what you had in your ears last. the e888 and er6 actually compliment each other because of and despite their differences.

Aug 8, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Ultraviolet,
IMHO, E888 win hand down in sound quality. The 888 has great details, midrange, and clarity. The bass might be a bid medicore (depend on your source). However, the ex70lp is much better in isolation, while the 888 is known to be very leakage.

Redshifter,
Totally agree.

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey there,

I think the trouble with these Sony earphones is that neither are all-round good performers. The EX70 offers great isolation and very, very comfortable fit (probably the best in the price range?), but the sound setting is kind of "weird".

The E888 is also comfy, and sounds great like the guys have said, but I don't think it's the kind of great that everyone can appreciate right off the bat. I've come across a lot of average, non-audiophilic people who tell me they think the E888 flat out sucks - I'm assuming this is because of what sounds like an *apparent* lack of treble to them.

That's just my opinion though, and even my ears change with time, so research a bit more and have fun while moving up the staircase to audiophile heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I use my E888s (two pairs of them) without any kind of covering at all - exposing the diaphragm, I know, but they've held up for months without any problem, and they're lovely this way IMO.

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 5
i replaced the paper filters in the e888 with the mesh filters from an old pair of e848 (actually two mesh filters for each transducer). improved the treble a lot. also, i added an extra rubber ring from the e848 around the e888 (so now there are two overlapping) and use double foamies, which increases the bass. they stay in my ears better this way, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back