Sony Ex 300 , Philips SHE 9800 or AKG K 317?
Aug 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Peeperkorn

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I´m new here and please excuse my bad English.
How you could guess when reading the title of this thread I want to buye an earphone. It should have a really good sound quality but stay affordable. During researching in the internet I found these three earphones, all in the same price range:

1. Sony MDR Ex 300
2. Philips SHE 9800
3. AKG K 317

The first two models are of preference. With the Sony there is a second question: Would you recommend it over the older MDR Ex 85 (also similar price)?
Is there anybody out there who has tested at least two of these earphones?
Please be aware of the fact that some brands well known in America are not available here in Europe. Therefor I would be thankfull, if you didn´t recommend exotic alternatives.
Thank you very much!
Kind regards,
Jakob

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok, thank you for your extensive comment.
But: that´s not exactly what I´ve been hoping for. These PL-50 are not available here and shipping from America would be too expensive.
Is there nobody who has tested both the Sony Ex 300 / Ex 85 and the Philips SHE 9800 ?!

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 9
erm they ship from the far east to anywhere in the world, quite what america has to do with anything i dont know as neither they nor i have any connection to the continent

you dont actually say where you are other than "europe" seeing as i say im in edinburgh just where is you think i am?

also the radiopaq jazz may be of interest to you

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank you for your answer.

Of course I know that amazon.com ships them almost everywhere, but as I said before: that would be too expensive.

I´m sorry that I did not mention it before: I´m from Germany.

Certainly it would be interesting to try the radiopaq jazz, but I want good earphones to sound neutral, they should handle every type of music well. Furthermore these are too high priced. My limit is in euro-speaking about 40-45€.
To be more precisely: I mainly listen to classical music and jazz; also very often Indie and sometimes rock.

I don´t like the feeling of being totaly isolated from the action around me, so I prefer earphones which are open or semi-open (like Sony MDR Ex 85 and Philips SHE 9800).

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Oh, thank you for the hint! These Head-Direct RE2 really look interesting.
But it seems as if I had to repeat it another time: I´m searching for open or semi-open earphones.
I read about the RE2, that their sound isolation isn´t that strong. Do you have experience with these earphones? Can you guess their isolation in db?
Do you think, they handle classical music well?
Have you ever heard Philips SHE 9800?

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 9
how about posting in the appropriate section of the forum, as you'd get a bit more input that way.

Also, the Philips & Sony models are NOT open, or semi-open IEM's, so your choices are incorrect for comparison (since you've stated matter of factly that's what you desire).

Here's the link to the correct section: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors

And it would help if you were more polite to people trying to assist you in the future.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 9
I beg your pardon for posting in the false section - I´m new here and a bit spacy.

Although I have until now never been using an in-ear earphone, I´m totally aware of the fact, that an earphone of this construction never is "open". English is not my mother tongue, so I adepted the characterization which is often used in this forum.

You think that I´m inpolite? I think sometimes a bit of irony is not that evil.
And maybe I´m too used to getting answers to my questions. It´s not that hard to understand, is it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back