Sony Eggo MDR-D77 spares, earpads and cases
May 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

memepool

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought I would share this for anyone still using the classic Sony MDR-D55 / MDR-D66 / MDR-D77 Eggo headphones. In my view still amongst the best 'street' cans ever made with impedance that works with ipods / iphones acceptably well. Anyway.... just got delivery of some new pads from Ebay seller wang_yifei who I would highly recommend. Check out the pix

Here are the original tired looking MDR-D77 pads. Obviously completely worn out after nearly 20 years of use. I still kept these on there because they were actually made of better quality leatherette than the replacements offered by Sony.

Here are the box-fresh Sony replacements which are either not as good, because they are for the MDR-D55, or just because Sony reduced the quality over the years. Obviously these are pretty much impossible to come by. These came from Parts Store in the USA about 10 years back and were my last pair of spares, retained for when the pads on all my Eggos finally fell apart completely.

And then I spotted these on Ebay. The top ones are the Wang replacements, which are slightly larger than the Sony spares below in the pic. Also note the surface of the new Sony replacements is starting to crack even though they have never been used....

The Wang ones fitted to the cans. They are not as perfect a fit as the original or Sony replacement ones in terms of the lip that goes into the body of the ear cups, but the foam is thicker and therefore considerably more comfortable over long listening sessions. Also given that these are closed back for listening in public, often with loud ambient noise, they seal the ears and sound in just as well, if not better than the originals.
In fact I think having the extra foam thickness improves the sound stage ever so slightly, as the ears are not quite as close to the transducers in the cups. It will be interesting to see how well the foam bears up over time. Certainly I'm going to order some more as there can only be so many Eggo users still out there, although the cans are very well made and do last well. Which brings me to...

The main design flaw with the Eggos is the materials they were made from. Over the years the plastic gets creaky and this obviously is very annoying if you use them as monitors, their original function, so judicious application of vaseline or similar to keep the headband quiet around the ear cup linkages, is sometimes necessary. A more insurmountable problem is the nextel coating that is on the original D-55 and D-77 models.
This will be a familiar issue to anyone with high end '80s equipment from the likes of Revox, Musical Fidelity, Technics, Panasonic and others. Nextel is a kind of soft textured coating applied to plastics to give them a feeling marketed as being like 'suede'. It's probably better at absorbing sound reflections, but mainly it's just sort of cool, usually in an '80s grey kind of way.....
Unfortunately it doesn't age well unless you are very careful about not subjecting it to constant scuffing. Not a great material to make ear cups on headphones out of then, but of course it's exactly what you find on the MDR-D55 and D-77. To make matters worse Sony decided to include a soft leatherette bag and later a sort of lightweight airtex-like material pouch, as the only protection supplied for storing and transporting the headphones. Obviously this is pretty useless and so when the cans are folded into their headband, packed in a bag, they get scuffed and the nextel gets marked or worse wears off entirely.
Wang to the rescue again as you see above. For the princely sum of 10USD you get a custom made hard plastic case, which is in a sort of textured black woven synthetic fibre, visually reminiscent of the later Sony grey one, but constructed more like Samsonite luggage, which is what you need to protect these valuable and now rare cans. It fits the profile of the headphones perfectly and will hopefully prevent the nextel from suffering further damage.

So obviously I'd recommend anyone with these classic cans to grab these things while they are available.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 21
I saw you post your link to my thread here

In response to the plastics creaking.

Get some PTFE synthetic oil like Super Lube, and apply to the hinges where the headphones fold, also apply to the hinges of the ear cups, that should get rid of most of it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 21
  I saw you post your link to my thread here

In response to the plastics creaking.

Get some PTFE synthetic oil like Super Lube, and apply to the hinges where the headphones fold, also apply to the hinges of the ear cups, that should get rid of most of it.

Actually PTFE synthetic oil, I wondered about because I was worried about it getting inside the capsules, but I guess a tiny amount is safe enough? I haven't taken the capsules themselves apart to see how this is constructed inside. Also I haven't seen Super Lube in the UK but I use this kind of oil on turntable spindles so familiar with it. Vaseline is a petroleum based jelly, it's Unilver (Anglo-Dutch)  but pretty sure it's available in the US. Basically you can put little lumps inside the pivot where the cups meet the headband and it lasts a long time.

How do these compare with the MDR-V6?

The MDR-V6 is kind of inspired by the Eggo series insofar as the folding headband is concerned but that's where it ends really. Sony didn't invent this but the Eggos are a particularly fine ergonomic implementation of it.
However the original MDR-D77 was considerably more expensive, around £200 in the early 1990's and a much superior headphone to the V6, although they don't really look that expensive.
I am still amazed to this day when I plug them into a new DAC at the resolution these headphones are capable of with the right source. They are very neutral sounding with amazing ability to create a realistic dimensional sound scape which is a tall order for any closed back design. They are also very extended with deep bass and extended highs with exceptional clarity. They were basically designed to be used as monitors with Sony's DAT walkmen like the TCD-D7 / D8 which at the time were the last word in portable high resolution recording and playback.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 21
I've been using a couple of pairs of eggos for too many years. Had to replace the pads a couple of times, back when Sony still had OEM parts, but have been looking around for the past few years, like many others, for something that would work. Tried a LOT of pads from eBay, hoping to find a good fit, but never did.

Stumbled upon some headphones from MCM electronics - mcminone.com - p/n 35-445. Have NO idea how those headphones sound, but the pads are quite close to a perfect fit on my D77s. I've just put them on this week, so I don't know what the longevity will be. The MCM 'phones list at $16.99 plus shipping, but MCM does have sales from time to time. It seems a shame to throw away the brand new MCM headphones, but if the pads work for any length of time, I'd consider the investment to be worth it, keeping the eggos functional.

Hope this helps...

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 21
  I've been using a couple of pairs of eggos for too many years. Had to replace the pads a couple of times, back when Sony still had OEM parts, but have been looking around for the past few years, like many others, for something that would work. Tried a LOT of pads from eBay, hoping to find a good fit, but never did.

Stumbled upon some headphones from MCM electronics - mcminone.com - p/n 35-445. Have NO idea how those headphones sound, but the pads are quite close to a perfect fit on my D77s. I've just put them on this week, so I don't know what the longevity will be. The MCM 'phones list at $16.99 plus shipping, but MCM does have sales from time to time. It seems a shame to throw away the brand new MCM headphones, but if the pads work for any length of time, I'd consider the investment to be worth it, keeping the eggos functional.

Hope this helps...

check out the ones i mention at the top on ebay. They are more comfortable than the originals and especially made for the eggos.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks, Memepool - I must be going blind as well as senile - I know I had searched eBay looking for eggos, but never found the vendor in your link. I have ordered the cushions you linked - makes a lot more sense than ripping apart a new pair of headphones. Hope they work better than the Sony OEMs, thanks for your help.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 21
Cheers, Mempool,

Sorry it's taken me so long to update. I took your excellent advice and ordered a set from Wang as you suggested. I've not had a decent set of earpads on my eggos for a lot of years, so I can't judge how they compare to the no-longer-available OEMs, but Wang shipped quickly, and the pads fit nicely. I've ordered a second set for backup, since one can never know when they too will become unobtainable. So I just wanted to thank you - again - for helping me keep my "antique" eggos going for a while longer.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 21
Well actually I have the 77, but they deteriorate over the Years, so I decided that the best way forward is not to continue with the egg shell, but make them more modern and light, so the other day I made a transplant, I had some cheap sennheiser HD218, so I open them and remove the insides, with their speakers...
I did the same with the Sony, using of course soldering iron, and some hot silicon glue gun, so I place the speakers of the 77 inside the sennheiser, and I have now a fully working good headphone set that will last me for long, and is also light to use and have with you, I am sorry but the eggos where problematic to put on and remove from your head, always you had to keep up and try to put them in shape, the internal speakers are only 40mm anyway, you don't need the bulk.
Of course I carefully use glue and materials to perfectly balance them and when I finish I test them with in phase - out of phase sounds to make sure the polarity is fine. Oh and now the seated closely to the ears, so I gain volume also !.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 21
Welcome, I really enjoy them now, and I save on the side the smaller drivers of the sennheiser, which I plan to place inside my motorcycle helmet....
Also now anything happens I am not depended on Sony or ebay.... I can easily remove the precious Sony drivers and put them in another headset, having always new kit, but with the proper sound....let them live for ever !! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back