Sony ECR-500 impressions
Jul 27, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I think we can rule M-S out. But it's an intriguing question-- who in Japan, aside from Sony, would've had the expertise in 1976 to design something like the '500?

A little robotic bird just whispered something to me that may answer that question, and possibly lift some of the fog from a new acoustic dimension as well.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #32 of 72
But did NAD have the 'nads to build anything on its own? Wasn't it just a front for an audio-capitalist plot?

Or... are you saying...

..Did NAD hire a cadre of Fanuc robot birds to build them? Wily devils!

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

ECR800.jpg

That photo was enough to leave a sticky residue on my pants.

Ooops, must have spilt some soft drink.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #34 of 72
Ain't they handsome? and just imagine the sheer Sony quality of the transformers and other components in that box. Have you ever seen the 600 or 800 on Japanese auction sites?

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 72
So you say your Stax SR-X mk3 aren't better?
And - do you like K340 more than HD650?
I'm really intrigued!

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

I've discovered something about Micro-Seiki's 'stats-- if the Sonys were really made by M-S, they'd all be inoperative now. So I think we can rule M-S out. But it's an intriguing question-- who in Japan, aside from Sony, would've had the expertise in 1976 to design something like the '500?

I know that M-S manufactured the Infinity headphones but I'm not sure about the Sony's. The M-S electrets (MX models) used a different diaphragm so Sony could have used those drivers. If the driver is held together by plastic "clips" then it is made my Micro Seiki.

Quote:

But did NAD have the 'nads to build anything on its own? Wasn't it just a front for an audio-capitalist plot?

Or... are you saying...

..Did NAD hire a cadre of Fanuc robot birds to build them? Wily devils!

The Nad stat's were a Stax OEM like the Magnavox, Realistic and Marantz.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the driver is held together by plastic "clips" then it is made my Micro Seiki.

No plastic clips on the Sony driver. Photo in a few hours.

Quote:

The Nad stat's were a Stax OEM like the Magnavox, Realistic and Marantz.

Remember, we're talking about electret 'stats here. Farz I know, the 20E was an external-bias job.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Ain't they handsome? and just imagine the sheer Sony quality of the transformers and other components in that box. Have you ever seen the 600 or 800 on Japanese auction sites?

I'm looking at one right now, but the price isn't so much high as exosphereic. Too bad.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

No plastic clips on the Sony driver. Photo in a few hours.

A photo can tell me a lot of things. Are you sure that Sony didn't make the drivers in-house. They did make electrostatic speakers after all.

A good way to spot the M-S 'stats is the 4 pin plug. They are true 'stats but derive the bias from the signal in the cups or that's what I think. To be assured I'd have to destroy them and that's only something I'd do to a Magnavox...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Remember, we're talking about electret 'stats here. Farz I know, the 20E was an external-bias job.

It is AFAIK since the box is the same as used by the other Stax OEM's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at one right now, but the price isn't so much high as exosphereic. Too bad.

That is a bit nutty. If I were just a bit more crazy I'd buy it though...
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

A photo can tell me a lot of things. Are you sure that Sony didn't make the drivers in-house. They did make electrostatic speakers after all.

I'd imagine they would be. Sony have never been a great fan of OEMing things and the ECRs were pretty impressive technically in their day.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd imagine they would be. Sony have never been a great fan of OEMing things and the ECRs were pretty impressive technically in their day.

I suppose they could have bought the film ready or just needing to be finalized and after that there isn't much more to the drivers that needs any specialized knowledge.

Sony really doesn't like to OEM but the transformers could be. They used Bando in their cd players so they could have made the step ups.

Jul 28, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #43 of 72
ECR-500driver.jpg

This is one of the drivers from my original 1976 sample. Seems to have a mesh stator. EDIT: No, I'm wrong-- the stators are perforated sheet metal. There's a layer outside the stators that looks like fine wire mesh, but I'm not sure what it really is. Or does.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

ECR-500driver.jpg

This is one of the drivers from my original 1976 sample. Seems to have a mesh stator.

Although it looks like every driver back then I'm not sure who made it. Stax had a thing for clear plastic and keeping the drivers small and M-S used some curious ways to mount them.

Although Sony could have made them there could also be an OEM that we are missing. Almost everybody had an electret in their lineup in those days and somebody had to make them. Electrets are more like mics the headphones so there could be some mic manufacturer that manufactured for everybody. I have read it a few times that Stax didn't make the first electret drivers they used but got an OEM version so we could be talking about the same company.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Although it looks like every driver back then I'm not sure who made it. Stax had a thing for clear plastic and keeping the drivers small and M-S used some curious ways to mount them.

Although Sony could have made them there could also be an OEM that we are missing. Almost everybody had an electret in their lineup in those days and somebody had to make them. Electrets are more like mics the headphones so there could be some mic manufacturer that manufactured for everybody. I have read it a few times that Stax didn't make the first electret drivers they used but got an OEM version so we could be talking about the same company.

Sony are one of the biggest manufacturers of condenser mics, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back