Sony DVP-NS930V
Feb 18, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Just picked up one of these used from ebay for next to nothing.

I was looking for a portable cd player with optical out as a bedside rig to team up with an ibasso d10, but I saw this and noticed it plays sacd's too so thought I would give it a whirl.

Anyway, even though it is just a bonus it plays sacd's as I only wanted a normal cd player, I might explore the sacd format a little.

Before I do, I want to know if sacd is a dying format or if it has any kind of longevity involved with regards support from artists, manufacturers and recording studios?

If so, I may start to build an sacd library, if not, no great shakes.

Last, is it possible to rip sacd's to pc while maintaining it as an sacd multi channel file, are they protected in some way or do I need some special software/hardware to do this?

Cheers.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I do, I want to know if sacd is a dying format or if it has any kind of longevity involved with regards support from artists, manufacturers and recording studios?

Last, is it possible to rip sacd's to pc while maintaining it as an sacd multi channel file, are they protected in some way or do I need some special software/hardware to do this?

Whether SACD is dying depends on who you talk to. Generally, mainstream media consider the format dead already. However, if you're into classical music, then the format is actually doing quite good. SACD releases are concentrated in classical music and jazz, with only a handful of pop/rock releases each year. Still, more than 600 new SACD titles was released in 2008. While the number of new SACD releases is on a downward slide, given the current economic climate we're in, SACD is still averaging about 50 new titles each month.

Go to sa-cd.net to see all SACD titles.

Btw, SACD will celebrate its 10th anniversary later this year.

Oh, you can't rip SACD to your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back