Sony DVP-NS500V and NAD C541i compared?
Aug 11, 2002 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
If anyone has compared these 2 units, I'd sure appreciate your comments. I'm considering replacing the Sony with the NAD for my headphone setup.

Thanks

Aug 12, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Doug,

I'm pretty sure Jude has both and maybe even Macdef.I have not heard both side-by-side so a good comparison is not possible.I do remember the sonics of both player being very different.

Aug 12, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

[]Originally posted by Tuberoller [/i]
I'm pretty sure Jude has both and maybe even Macdef.I have not heard both side-by-side so a good comparison is not possible.I do remember the sonics of both player being very different.

I've never owned the C541i, but I did own the acclaimed 502, which supposedly has very similar sonic character. I also own an NS500V.

While I never owned them at the same time, they were so distinctly different that I feel pretty comfortable commenting on them. The NS500V, like many good Sony players, provides an extremely clear and detailed presentation. Some people find it a bit too clear/detailed (terms such as "sterile" and "analytical" are used); I personally don't think it's that extreme. NAD players tend to provide a much warmer and more "musical" sound. The detail is there, but it's not as clear/accentuated as on many Sony models.

Keep in mind that you're talking about two very good CDPs, so these comparisons are *relative* to one another. Basically, if you like lots of detail, or have a warm system that you want to counteract, go with the Sony. If you have a bright system, or like a warmer sound, go with the NAD. If you're not sure, audition
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2002 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

I've never owned the C541i, but I did own the acclaimed 502, which supposedly has very similar sonic character. I also own an NS500V.

While I never owned them at the same time, they were so distinctly different that I feel pretty comfortable commenting on them. The NS500V, like many good Sony players, provides an extremely clear and detailed presentation. Some people find it a bit too clear/detailed (terms such as "sterile" and "analytical" are used); I personally don't think it's that extreme. NAD players tend to provide a much warmer and more "musical" sound. The detail is there, but it's not as clear/accentuated as on many Sony models.

Keep in mind that you're talking about two very good CDPs, so these comparisons are *relative* to one another. Basically, if you like lots of detail, or have a warm system that you want to counteract, go with the Sony. If you have a bright system, or like a warmer sound, go with the NAD. If you're not sure, audition
smily_headphones1.gif

Doug,

I own the NS500V and an NAD CD player as part of their L40 system, and MacDEF is right on the money. I guess if you want to counteract the brightness of the Beyer 931 than the NAD may be a good solution. However, I've found the sound from my NAD CD player too laid back for my tastes. I really like the Sony NS500V presentation (I use it with the Stax Basic system and love the results).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back