Sony DR-6A vintage headphones
Mar 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
just got a pair from ebay. in primo condition, except for missing chrome cup caps.
built like a tank, thick soft rubber cushions, steel headband, very thick braided cloth cord. these arent breaking any time soon!
squeezes on you head, a little isolating, i am going to guess these were supposed to be mixing /monitoring headphones back when- it semms early 70s. 8 ohms is the only spec i can find.

sound- very flat, neutral-ish, bass light. great detail, especially for the age. one very interesting aspect: even though these are light in the bass dept, they audibly respond to low bass changes. when i move the 30hz slider on the eq, they repsond, and a lot. in almost all headphones this slider is pretty much useless. same with the 16khz slider on the other end. probably an engineering triumph 40 yrs ago

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 16
You guys have been posting a lot of vintage stuff lately! They sound very nice despite their age, im just wondering how good the isolation? are there major sound leakages?

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad I'm into deep bass for the moment. Those old Sonys can be found very cheap.

Im always into the whose dynamic range of sound.. never just one part.. I need sonic balance, it makes me happy
beyersmile.png

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Sonic balance is great and I have three very good headphones that are balanced but I also want something more bass heavy to replace my V6 just for the fun of it. Sometimes you really need some bass for certain music, really.

Too bad Sony doesn't seem to care about its vintage headphones. Fully restored this headphone can become a head turner and investment at the same time.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 16
You won this one ourfpshero, I saw them and decided to let it slide... great to hear a head-fier snapped them up however. I found from searching nikongod had a set of these and reminded him of the Beyer DT-48. How are you liking them, what music if any works well on these?

Also despite there age they may change with burn-in, you never know, they could of sat unused for 10s of years.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 16
they indeed remind me of old closed beyers -i had a dt100 and dt480

they do not like bass heavy moden pop and such. they do like classic rock/metal, bass guitar work, and vocal-centric music. they are riveted shut so i cant inspect the drivers. very much an old studio type headphone

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 16
I received the DR 6A today and besides the fact that this headphone is an ear crusher, big time I quite like it. It needs power, the volume on my Philips CD690 was on the same position as with my DF, half and any lower does not quite work. It is a very clear and intimate sounding headphone. As if you are in the band with the musicians while they are doing their thing. I am now listening to old Disco and Funk related music and the DR 6A does not disappoint. The bass goes deep in a subtle way while very light and tight sounding. The sound stage is present but to be sure I need to listen to more music.

Very interesting oldie...

Update:
The DR 6A handles Disco and Funk related tracks and the bassy Daft Punk tracks sound good too. Daft Punk's 'Phoenix' sounds fun and analytical at the same time. Set up: Daft Punk album 'Homework' + Philips CD690 + Sony DR 6A

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 16
i recently got a dr-5a. its circumaural instead of supra-aural like the 6a, has more bass but is still bass shy, not as analytical as the 6a, bigger soundstage though.

the 5a shows up in a 1969 sony catalog, so these puppies are old.
in related news- i have a sansui ss-35 on the way from canada, vintage monitor headphones ftw

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #14 of 16
the 5a is probably more of a consumer headphone, the 6a a studio headphone, though they sound similar
link to 5a
http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/sony69/08.jpg

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 16
just got the sansui ss-35 in today. awesome monitor headphone. the cup and pad design is very similar to the sony 6a. a bit more in your face than a monitor 10, gives the sansui a more modern-ish sound. too bad these are so rare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back