Sony DR-5A mods?
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hatrack71

100+ Head-Fier
So I grabbed a pair of these last week from a studio selling all their stuff among a few other phones. Immediately I noticed how articulate these are for a headphone that is almost 50 years old. Wow! They have a good balance and detail is there. Not what I expected from a big paper driver at all. I expected rolled off hugely in both directions and congested. But the roll off is minimal and the soundstage/imaging/detail is better than I expected. Instrument separation is good. Has anyone found a set of earpads that fit these monsters? I had an old set from ATH-M40fs pads but they were just slightly too small. I destroyed one trying to stretch it over the cup. I was also thinking of making a chamois strap that will accomdate my smallish head. Sort of like the strap on Yamaha Orthos or the add on strap for Hifimans.These things were made for people with huge heads. I would love to see some pics of mods to these. I am thinking these might be more comfortable with velour pads at the least. As they are stock, the sound is much fuller and groovier than the AKG K270 I have. Brighter than most vintage cans (but still considered slightly dark by todays standards- kinda like Sennheiser HD 650) and really decent and quick bass (orthodynamic-like). These can bring out some detail. I am almost thinking I might need to keep these. Definitely want to put some effort into making these better and looking for any suggestions from DR-5A owners. Neat sounding headphone for sure. They certainly don't suck. :^)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 5
I now have these in my possession.
There may be a channel imbalance which I shall investigate.
On the strength of five minutes flipping through a couple of albums I would say they have a defined lack of bass but plenty on top that may shine if the bass can be sorted out.

I'm now entertaining three possibilities.
Strip them for parts to sell on.
Strip them for parts for a future Grado mod (headband).
Mod them (velour pads, HD25 padding on the headband, cable wrap & a new plug) to sell.

Bearing in mind I got them for nothing I win whatever I choose.

Any input is most welcome and appreciated mein Damen und Herren.

Kippis!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Feel the width...
20230218_113102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back