Sony Discman Repair Question
Apr 14, 2005 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Arlekino

New Head-Fier
Here is the situation. I have two old Sony discman portable CD players. One is a model D-22. It has a broken hinge and does not work properly. The other one is a very similar-looking model, D-2T, except it has no bass boost and a radio tuner built in the lid. It plays CDs fine but the tuner does not work. Except for a broken hinge, the D-22 is in better shape cosmetically and I really like it. I was thinking of repairing the D-22 by using parts from D-2T. The case part that I need for the hinge repair looks the same, and I suspect that the transport is the same as well. I would rather not do it myself though. I called several local electronic equipment shops but they do not do any repairs on portables. I contacted Sony and they would not repair these models because parts are not available, and they would not use any used parts. If anyone could recommend a repair service that I could use for that type of thing, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlekino
Here is the situation. I have two old Sony discman portable CD players. One is a model D-22. It has a broken hinge and does not work properly. The other one is a very similar-looking model, D-2T, except it has no bass boost and a radio tuner built in the lid. It plays CDs fine but the tuner does not work. Except for a broken hinge, the D-22 is in better shape cosmetically and I really like it. I was thinking of repairing the D-22 by using parts from D-2T. The case part that I need for the hinge repair looks the same, and I suspect that the transport is the same as well. I would rather not do it myself though. I called several local electronic equipment shops but they do not do any repairs on portables. I contacted Sony and they would not repair these models because parts are not available, and they would not use any used parts. If anyone could recommend a repair service that I could use for that type of thing, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Chances are good that you won't be able to find a professional repair shop that will touch it. Even if you could, it would cost you more to have it done than the player is worth. Players such as the d-2, d-20, d-12, d-22, d-t2, etc., all use the same basic external case. The only difference appears to be the use of a different lid in the models with tuners (obviously), and a spot for the mega-bass switch on models so equipped. All these models regularly sell on Ebay for $25 or less in near mint condition. If I was you, I'd attempt the repair myself. I took 2 dead Sony D-9s and swapped parts and got one working perfectly. It's really not that tough. And if you screw it up, you can always pick up another one on Ebay cheaply. Just be sure before you buy, to make sure one you are considering has mega-bass, if you need that feature, as not all the models mentioned have it. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back