Sony DEJ925 charging problem...
Jun 26, 2004 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
My DEJ925 have those rechargable gumstick batteries. A few days ago I charged them to full but when I try to run it, it says low battery. So I try charging them again but it says FULL... what's going on? How can I fix this?

Jun 27, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 10
I had this happen to me the other day too (same unit - 925). I just played a cd until the 'lobatt' warning came on again and then restarted the charge cycle. This seemed to fix things up. I'd seriously consider getting one of the cheaper Sony NE units (e.g. NE300) that use AA size batteries - those Sony gumstick batteries are a rip-off. Rather than replace my gumstick batteries I went out and bought a new NE700. Sound-wise it blows the 925 away and is much better value. The 925 is going to ebay.

Ben

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 10
I hate sony's rechargeable gumsticks. I have more luck with their similar AA-like rechargeable batteries, like the ones from the D-EJ725. Those batteries never went stubborn on me. I leave them in the compartment completely drained for eight months and I was able to recharge them with no problems. Usually my gumsticks are stubborn after a few weeks of non-use.

However, I find both types of batteries quickly lose their charged lifespan. My gumsticks have no life anymore after some crystals grew out of the contacts. My other AA-like batteries only have 6 hours of life instead of its usual 12 hours.

Jun 28, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
My DEJ925 have those rechargable gumstick batteries. A few days ago I charged them to full but when I try to run it, it says low battery. So I try charging them again but it says FULL... what's going on? How can I fix this?

Forgot to mention something else I did - swap the batteries around before recharging too (i.e. their positions, not direction). I'm not sure if this actually helped or not but taking them out of the unit and putting them back in again may help remove any grime that has built up on the terminals.

Jun 28, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by neb
Forgot to mention something else I did - swap the batteries around before recharging too (i.e. their positions, not direction). I'm not sure if this actually helped or not but taking them out of the unit and putting them back in again may help remove any grime that has built up on the terminals.

That is the first thing I do when dealing with battery problems. Usually contact problems occur with batteries.

I also believe most of the rechargers that come with Sony pcdp's are poorly designed. They get confused too easily. I wouldn't be surprise half of my battery problems are caused by poorly designed recharge circuits. I usually solved my gumstick problems by not using the gumsticks for several days. I think this has to do more with the pcdp not having batteries connected to its battery contacts than it has to do with the gumsticks lying about doing nothing.

Jun 30, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Turns out I just had a bad power cord... I found out when the CD player wouldn't even play with teh power cord plug in. I use another/newer power cord and it works fine now...
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
hey i have a 925 coming in off ebay...can i use reuglar batts instead of the gumstick crap?

The built in battery compartment can only accomodate gumstick batteries. There should also be a detachable/attachable battery pack for 2 AA batteries that you can attach to where the AC power cord go. But they're kind of bulky... I don't know why anyone would hold grunge against gumstick batteries...
confused.gif
They work just fine and keeps the player's profile down.

My problem was with the AC power cord. It was like a 15 year old power cord from a old school sony CD player which I imagine would have pretty good sound quality but my damn brother dropped it a few times and broke it.

Jun 30, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 10
You probably know this or you would have figured this out by now, but make sure the AC adpater has the correct voltage. Try not to use a cheap adjustable walwart - I killed one pcdp that way because the tolerances were rather poor.

Be careful with the external AA case. I broke one of them already just by accidentally dangling them after picking up my pcdp. I don't think they are cheap to replace either.

Jun 30, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Nice to know that you've got your problem solved!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
I don't know why anyone would hold grunge against gumstick batteries...
confused.gif
They work just fine and keeps the player's profile down.

IMO there's nothing wrong with gumstick batteries. Never tried them though. The only reason that I don't like them is because they need to be charged in the player. With AA's it so conveniant to be able to have a second pair in an external charger while you use the first pair.
But then again, there already are external gumstick chargers on the market nowadays. Still you don't go out and buy that easily when your players has a working charging circuit and you're only gonna use those batteries for your PCDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back