Sony DE-J925 - what kind of NiMH cells come with the unit?
Jan 3, 2002 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been scanning the Web for reviews about this PCDP, and I think I'd like to get one, but I'm just wondering what kind of NiMH batteries are standard as the built-ins? Are they the familiar NH-14WM "gumstick" that is used by Sony's top-end MD recorders and players?

I dearly hope that Sony and other battery makers continue production of the NH-14WM, as I'd like to keep using my MZ-R909 for years to come....Along with this portable CD player, too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi SuperBaldGuy
smily_headphones1.gif

If its like the DE-J825 (which i guess it will be... else, there'd be no reason for you to spend more money), you'll find a pair of NH-6WM Nicads

In the UK you can pick up the NH-14WMs for £8 each, which is nothing really... I've got 4 of them, and might yet invest in some more
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi Duncan,

I did find out the 925 uses the NH-14WM x 2, and Sony call it a "pack." In Canada, these babies are not cheap, but do last a LONG time. I see the 825 uses the smaller (600mA) and cheaper NH-6WM x 2. The 925, thus, has a bit more battery life, but at what cost?

Are there any other differences between the two PCDP's? I've read good things about both units; I sort of like the violet color of the 825....Is the output of both players better than that of a typical Sony MD recorder? (5 mW)

Jan 3, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Not to me, Not at all

My MZ-R55 Minidisc was around late '99 early '00, and the sound is very much like my classic D777 Discman, very open, crisp, and clear

The 825 in comparison sounds very grey, like some of the dynamics have been sucked out of it, especially in the treble, it sounds kind of lifeless

Also, the 825 cannot handle anything with heavy bass even with ZERO bass boost, this thing distorts above 60% volume, and WITH bass boost, don't even think about going above 40%!!

On the brighter side of life, the 925 can go up to full volume without distorting (too much), and it does sound slightly airier than the 825, so if there isn't that much cost difference between the two, go for the top of the line model
smily_headphones1.gif

(don't take my view 110% seriously though, i've led a spoilt life with my D777... NOTHING (to my ears) comes close to it!!)

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm pretty sure I'll opt for the 925.

I've heard a lot about the D777, but, alas, the best CDP's and MDR's no longer seem to be in production. I do like my recently-purchased MZ-R909, and its sound is sweet with my 888's. Too bad I can't get LiON cells for an MZ-R50, or I'd get one of those babies.

In Canada, the 925 is an extra $50. Sounds worth it as those NH-14WM's cost an extra $50 to buy, separately. This is an obvious ploy by Sony - sell the internal NiMH's at cost, then soak the customer when he/she goes to buy new ones!
mad.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
I dearly hope that Sony and other battery makers continue production of the NH-14WM, as I'd like to keep using my MZ-R909 for years to come....Along with this portable CD player, too!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't worry about Sony continuing to make the NH-14WM gumstick batteries. A bunch of us on the board here have recently purchased the Sony D-25S which is a "new" in the box CD player that is 10 years old, and Sony still has batteries available for these units which have been out of production for 9-10 years. Sony seems pretty good about continuing to make accessories available for their equipment that has long been out of production.

-Keith

Jan 3, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 12
two NH-14WM batts and/or two AA batts

The 925 is a damn find player
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 12
D777 with two NH-14WMs and two Energiser Lithium batteries, 50+ hours so far... not bad for an old beast
tongue.gif

DE-J9/825 with above, wow, i dread to think... 150+ hours??

Jan 3, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 12
I was completely blown away by the 925's batt-life. In Denmark it came with NiMh's they last for VERY long. (i bought it half a year ago and i just plugged it in to recharge FOR THE THIRD TIME!!!!
eek.gif
)

Jan 4, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah sony life time is quite long... My D-EJ815 apparantely can go 70-80 hrs on 4 Alkalines (external battery pack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back