Sony DAP and headphone advice please
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jacinabox

New Head-Fier
Hello all, some hopefully simple questions that can be answered to reduce my confusion!

I'm very new to all this music through headphones and I'm trying to get a solid and reliable set-up for my wife - no good for me, I've only got one working ear!

I'm probably going around this in a back to front way, but let's see if we can salvage something. She recently got a set of Sony WH-100mx2 headphones to replace a set of Beats phones that she found uncomfortable. At the moment she listens to YouTube music via Bluetooth from a Samsung tablet, The sound is better than the Beats (as is the comfort) but I'm aware that they're capable of better SQ if fed from a better source with better material.

Bluetooth is important...spends a lot of time painting at an easel and doesn't like to be "wired" up. Equally there are other times when being wired will not be an issue. For reliable BT I want to stay with a Sony DAP and I've got a list of what I think may be suitable players; Sony WM-ZX2 or Sony WM-Z300 and I'll be looking to buy those used, alternatively Sony's WM-A45 and I'll go for new.

Where I'm struggling is what aptx-HD and LDAC do and which is better for Bluetooth, I'm assuming they're both related to BT?
From reading reviews I see that the WM-ZX2 doesn't support aptx in any version but my other two choices do. The headphones support both.

Streaming (I think) may be good...I've signed up for Google Musics free trial and there seems to be a good choice of music that she'll enjoy.
I've nothing stored digitally and I'm going to have to try ripping a large CD collection...that'll be a first for me.

So, any advice to help me decide please. Bluetooth and SQ are the most important - streaming too could be useful.

Thanks, David

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 10
First of all you need to understand the codec of the Bluetooth - AptX, LDAC and AAC

aptX – aptX is a proprietary audio codec developed for demanding audio applications. aptX is designed to encode a CD-quality (16-bit / 44.1kHz) audio stream without loss of sound quality through a combination of slightly higher data transfer rate.

AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) – unlike aptX, AAC is a codec popular outside of wireless applications, including Apple’s iTunes platform and YouTube. It was designed to achieve better sound quality than mp3 at similar bit rates. Unlike aptX, it is supported by iOS devices. Apple implements AAC over Bluetooth at about 250 kbps, which should compete in fidelity with the best-quality mp3s or any other lossy codec. However, at this time AAC support in wireless headphones is not very common.

LDAC - LDAC is the Bluetooth version that is owned by SONY and SONY claimed that by using LDAC pairing, the speed of transferring data is good and stable. It is suitable for music files from MP3 to Hi Res Audio.

So now, WH-1000XM2 equipped themselves with aptX HD, the latest version of the aptX codec and LDAC. If you are using an Android phone which supports aptX, the headphone will get connected through aptX. If you are using a SONY player, the headphone will get connected through LDAC. Comes to music players, it makes no difference when you use a expensive player or not when you are pairing up with your wireless headphone because the decoding is done over the headphone. Your music player act like a storage and bluetooth transmitter only. In this case I will suggest you to get NW-A45 if you are not using spotify or youtube. If yes, you can choose ZX2 but bear in mind the interface is laggy :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 10
If you look for used gear, I would also look for NW-WM1A. I got one and enjoy very much. It has more power than ZX2, interface is fast and very responsive. SQ is just fabulous. It sounds like pretty good desktop system.
It sounds very dynamic and also very organic and musical.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 10
If you look for used gear, I would also look for NW-WM1A. I got one and enjoy very much. It has more power than ZX2, interface is fast and very responsive. SQ is just fabulous. It sounds like pretty good desktop system.
It sounds very dynamic and also very organic and musical.

Thanks for your suggestion, if I thought I could find WM1A at the price I was looking to pay, it would certainly be on my list. As it stands I think I've got myself (for wife really) a used ZX2...it'll provide the streaming that we "think" will be useful and as a first foray into this type of music f listening I don't think it's a bad move.
We'll give the ZX2 a try and then perhaps "upgradeitis" will bite!

David

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 10
I got WM1A very lightly used (still near 2 year warranty) for near 700€ here in Europe.

That's good especially with warranty...sadly, 700 Euro is more than I would be willing to pay for my first steps. I managed my incoming ZX2 for just over £300 (~350 Euro?) No warranty but fingers crossed all will be well!

Now it's time to think about how to convert CD collection to FLAC...that'll be a challenge considering my ineptitude with all things "computery" :)

David

May 5, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 10
First of all you need to understand the codec of the Bluetooth - AptX, LDAC and AAC

aptX – aptX is a proprietary audio codec developed for demanding audio applications. aptX is designed to encode a CD-quality (16-bit / 44.1kHz) audio stream without loss of sound quality through a combination of slightly higher data transfer rate.

AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) – unlike aptX, AAC is a codec popular outside of wireless applications, including Apple’s iTunes platform and YouTube. It was designed to achieve better sound quality than mp3 at similar bit rates. Unlike aptX, it is supported by iOS devices. Apple implements AAC over Bluetooth at about 250 kbps, which should compete in fidelity with the best-quality mp3s or any other lossy codec. However, at this time AAC support in wireless headphones is not very common.

LDAC - LDAC is the Bluetooth version that is owned by SONY and SONY claimed that by using LDAC pairing, the speed of transferring data is good and stable. It is suitable for music files from MP3 to Hi Res Audio.

So now, WH-1000XM2 equipped themselves with aptX HD, the latest version of the aptX codec and LDAC. If you are using an Android phone which supports aptX, the headphone will get connected through aptX. If you are using a SONY player, the headphone will get connected through LDAC. Comes to music players, it makes no difference when you use a expensive player or not when you are pairing up with your wireless headphone because the decoding is done over the headphone. Your music player act like a storage and bluetooth transmitter only. In this case I will suggest you to get NW-A45 if you are not using spotify or youtube. If yes, you can choose ZX2 but bear in mind the interface is laggy :frowning2:

The Sony headphones will with with AAC on apple devices I believe? I thought it did when I used it on my iPad. As of Android 8.0 oreo most major phones do offer apt x and LDAC since they are baked into the OS and is up to the OEM to allow it. Used the 1000MX2 with my Note 8 with 8.0 with LDAC

May 6, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 10
The Sony headphones will with with AAC on apple devices I believe? I thought it did when I used it on my iPad. As of Android 8.0 oreo most major phones do offer apt x and LDAC since they are baked into the OS and is up to the OEM to allow it. Used the 1000MX2 with my Note 8 with 8.0 with LDAC
Yes Sony headphone will paired with Apple device in AAC mode. I am using an android phone with Android 7.0 and using aptX-HD. Waiting to have a try on LDAC on phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back